Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 14, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #271 of 1,999
Ok, so according to the manual (for A-35), one selects the language (and date format) by holding power button for 3 seconds. I haven't tried that. So maybe... Will have to go back and have another look

Let us know if it works!

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #273 of 1,999
ME Tooooo, especially the full metal body (A40 back plate is plastic)
Its just the price tag tho...... $700:triportsad::triportsad:
Yeah, the ZX300 simply looks a whole lot better. The press photos do very well to enhance its gadget appeal.

Yeah the MSRP for the ZX300 in Canada is $799.00 vs $299.00 for the A45 and since the only feature difference between the two is a balanced output I can't justify the difference. I think the value for your money drops considerably once you start getting into the ZX300 price range.

When I get the A45 I may spring for the new B&W PX wireless headphones as well. The PX's support AptX HD like the A45 will, have noise cancelling, 22 hours battery life, and they also have a 3.5 mm jack so they can be used wired as well. They are suppose to have amazing sound quality to boot and the A45 and PX headphones together will cost slightly less than a Zx300 by itself based on MSRP.

If you compare the A45 and ZX300 straight up the ZX300 wins for sure. But the A45 + $500 CDN vs the ZX300 that is a different story when I look at what the extra $500.00 can buy me.
Yeah, ultimately, sound would be the biggest factor. The A45 is nearly a third of the price of the ZX300, and offers similarly compelling features. I don't think I want to be dropping too much on a new DAP, and I'll probably only consider the ZX300 if it's a real gem. Plus, the new Astell & Kern AK70 MK2 is launching at a similar price point, so I'll definitely want to compare them together.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #274 of 1,999
I picked the ZX300, the balanced output blows the A40 series out of the water and makes out a no brainer. Even the SE output sounds radically better on the ZX300 and has high gain support.

The A40 is nice because it's very light, compact and affordable, but is not in the same league as any walkman from the ZX series in terms of sound quality, so unless you are looking at running headphones through LDAC/APTX or the walkman port (like the MDR-1ADAC), you will not reach the same quality of output. That's not to say the A40 is bad, it certainly is better than a lot of competitors such as the iPod.
Well, it should, considering that it's nearly 3 times the price of the A40.

Besides, I don't run my IEMs in balanced configuration; they are all SE.

In any case, could you provide more impressions concerning the sound quality on both devices out of a SE connection? Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #275 of 1,999
Yeah, the ZX300 simply looks a whole lot better. The press photos do very well to enhance its gadget appeal.

Yeah, ultimately, sound would be the biggest factor. The A45 is nearly a third of the price of the ZX300, and offers similarly compelling features. I don't think I want to be dropping too much on a new DAP, and I'll probably only consider the ZX300 if it's a real gem. Plus, the new Astell & Kern AK70 MK2 is launching at a similar price point, so I'll definitely want to compare them together.
You may also want to check out the Shanling M3s and the newly announced Cayin N5ii and HiBy R6. The first has a very attractive price also, the other two very impressive specs. In the end though, it all boils down as to what your ears like best, as you stated.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #276 of 1,999
You may also want to check out the Shanling M3s and the newly announced Cayin N5ii and HiBy R6. The first has a very attractive price also, the other two very impressive specs. In the end though, it all boils down as to what your ears like best, as you stated.
Yep, the M3S is definitely an impressive contender. I've been following the thread since the start, and the opinions of those who have purchased the first units are positive, to say the least.

You're right, in the end, it all comes down to what you think sounds the best. It's just a shame, though, since I can't compare these DAPs side-by-side; it'll definitely make a comparison easier.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #277 of 1,999
Yep, the M3S is definitely an impressive contender. I've been following the thread since the start, and the opinions of those who have purchased the first units are positive, to say the least.

You're right, in the end, it all comes down to what you think sounds the best. It's just a shame, though, since I can't compare these DAPs side-by-side; it'll definitely make a comparison easier.
Hopefully some time, sooner rather than later, we'll be able to make such comparisons ourselves...

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #278 of 1,999

Yes I am interested in the M3S as well but compared to the A45 there are compelling differences between them. Firstly it appears based on the price of the M2S in Canada the M3S will cost more than the A45. It will not offer AptX-HD, it has no internal memory and much less battery life. The M3S will offer more power if you need it for your headphones and balanced output if you can take advantage of it and of course the Hiby Link feature.

If you need for more power and balanced output is more important than AptX-HD support, internal memory and longer battery life then the M3S might make sense. For me I need what the A45 offers more than what the M3S offers so it makes the M3S less attractive to me unfortunately and it looks like it will cost more. I personally wouldn't mind moving away from Sony to a different manufacturer but it needs to make sense to do so. I will however give the M3S a listen when it becomes available in Canada just to satisfy my curiosity. The recall of the M3S by Shanling again has me wary of getting a Shanling DAP serviced in Canada. I really don't want to have to ship it to China if it needs repair.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #279 of 1,999
So I found the Cayin N5 II thread and I was immediately interested. Then I found out it will be android based and offer wifi and streaming which I don't want or need. So I am back to the A45 as my first choice.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #280 of 1,999
Well, it should, considering that it's nearly 3 times the price of the A40.

Besides, I don't run my IEMs in balanced configuration; they are all SE.

In any case, could you provide more impressions concerning the sound quality on both devices out of a SE connection? Thanks in advance.
I am sorry to say that the A40 sounds bland in comparison to the ZX300's SE. As I have stated, both devices just aren't competing in the same category.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #281 of 1,999
I am sorry to say that the A40 sounds bland in comparison to the ZX300's SE. As I have stated, both devices just aren't competing in the same category.

Absolutely true they are in different categories and I am not expecting the A45 to sound better or as good as it shouldn't. But everyone is different and have different needs and budgets. I use my DAP when I travel on public transit and on trains and plains when I travel for work. None of these are optimal locations for listening to music. So for me spending an extra $500.00 on a ZX300 makes no sense regardless of whether the ZX300 sounds less bland than the A45. I have a home system that few if any DAP's can touch for sound quality so for me the ZX300 is simply a waste of money I can spend on other things I need. If your DAP is your only source of music and you can listen to it in quiet environment then it makes more sense.

When I put my ideal music setup together I put flexibility over absolute sound quality from my DAP. I bought an A17 and spent the extra money on a Sony surround sound receiver with LDAC. This gives me alot more options for listening to and sharing my music. I can stream music via LDAC at 906 Kbps to my Sony receiver and then plug my headphones into the receiver to listen to my music and get even better sound quality. Or listen through my home theatre speaker system and view track information on my television. I can plug my A17 into the USB port on the receiver and use it as a mass storage device and charge it at the same time. I can use the Sony MediaGo/Music Center software to throw music from my media server to my Sony receiver over the network. When using LDAC or AptX-HD bluetooth with an A45 the ZX300 has no advantage over the A45 and in fact the A45 is better because it offers longer battery life.

If you are only going to listen to your music through the balanced output with headphones and can afford it then the ZX300 is a great choice. But it simply isn't the best choice for everyone including myself as I like to listen to music in a variety of ways in different environments.

I truly hope you enjoy listening to your ZX300 but it simply isn't for me given my needs and budget.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #282 of 1,999
Absolutely true they are in different categories and I am not expecting the A45 to sound better or as good as it shouldn't. But everyone is different and have different needs and budgets. I use my DAP when I travel on public transit and on trains and plains when I travel for work. None of these are optimal locations for listening to music. So for me spending an extra $500.00 on a ZX300 makes no sense regardless of whether the ZX300 sounds less bland than the A45. I have a home system that few if any DAP's can touch for sound quality so for me the ZX300 is simply a waste of money I can spend on other things I need. If your DAP is your only source of music and you can listen to it in quiet environment then it makes more sense.

When I put my ideal music setup together I put flexibility over absolute sound quality from my DAP. I bought an A17 and spent the extra money on a Sony surround sound receiver with LDAC. This gives me alot more options for listening to and sharing my music. I can stream music via LDAC at 906 Kbps to my Sony receiver and then plug my headphones into the receiver to listen to my music and get even better sound quality. Or listen through my home theatre speaker system and view track information on my television. I can plug my A17 into the USB port on the receiver and use it as a mass storage device and charge it at the same time. I can use the Sony MediaGo/Music Center software to throw music from my media server to my Sony receiver over the network. When using LDAC or AptX-HD bluetooth with an A45 the ZX300 has no advantage over the A45 and in fact the A45 is better because it offers longer battery life.

If you are only going to listen to your music through the balanced output with headphones and can afford it then the ZX300 is a great choice. But it simply isn't the best choice for everyone including myself as I like to listen to music in a variety of ways in different environments.

I truly hope you enjoy listening to your ZX300 but it simply isn't for me given my needs and budget.

When listening to music over LDAC or APT-X, any Xperia phone or the google pixel phone, will give you the exact same quality as a A40 walkman, most likely for cheaper, While listening over bluetooth, only the codec and the DAC on the receiver side are actually relevant.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #283 of 1,999
At this stage my setup will be NW-A45 > LDAC > 1000XM2

I've had the 1000XM2 for 3 days now and they blow my Bose QC35 out the water even on iOS using the AAC profile (nice extra: the sony connect app tells you which codec is being used).

Sandisk Extreme U3 128gb for extra storage and I'll be happy.

Bonus: can be used as a USB DAC albeit with wired connection for listening to Tidal MQA streaming on PC.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #284 of 1,999
At this stage my setup will be NW-A45 > LDAC > 1000XM2

Bonus: can be used as a USB DAC albeit with wired connection for listening to Tidal MQA streaming on PC.

Can't you directly use the 1000xM2 as USBDAC with a usb cable to headphones? I thought that seemed like a pretty cool feature but maybe I misunderstood the review I was watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back