SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 15, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #13,651 of 15,629
Thanks, do you think 1zm2 has enough porwer to drive those without TA-ZH1ES? I'm planning to use those in the office, so actually hoping something smaller or lower key lol
Oh yeah, the new walkmans were designed in conjunction with the Z1Rs; I own TA-ZH1ES & the WM1AM2.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #13,652 of 15,629
Thanks, do you think 1zm2 has enough porwer to drive those without TA-ZH1ES? I'm planning to use those in the office, so actually hoping something smaller or lower key lol
MDR-Z1R is an easy-to-drive headphone, so even with an Apple dongle, you still can hear the powerful bass and wide soundstage of Z1R. Obviously, more high-end sources will give you a better experience.

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #13,653 of 15,629
17053056018423686872046070557031.jpg

Wm1am2 is by far the best for portability and ergonomics, but wouldn't say it is definitely better for sound vs m15s or m8 ( let alone m9+ )

they carry many differences in sound

Probably the most similar pair is m9+ to1zm2 , still they have quite different sound signature..my ears..

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #13,654 of 15,629
M9+ is way ahead for dynamics , micro and macro dynamics handling ( more in general contol of sound aspects ) , wm1am2 is the one lagging of the bunch in dynamics , by a fair margin..It is not something that can remain long unnoticed when you run other sources/daps and it is the thing that bothers me the most, as for other aspects of sound I can even prefer it to the 1zm2 at times..depending on genres..

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #13,655 of 15,629
Do you mean the WM A1 or WM A1 AM2? Ok, I've never heard the M9+, only the M 9. And I personally liked the sound of the M8 more. But I think that the AM 2 has a higher dynamic than the M 8. From my feelings. I sold the M 8 a few months ago so I could be wrong. The sound with the Vynil processor reminds me a bit of the M 8. But I prefer Direct. For someone who lives in a warmer area and uses the player a lot outside when walking, the Sony is definitely the best choice because it doesn't get hot like e.g. the M8.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #13,656 of 15,629
It's not even worth comparing on heat generation between m8 and wm1am2👍

Dynamically wm1am2 is quite flat and the z1m2 is it too ..> my ears of course .
M8 is quite bit better for dynamic range and resolution ( well noticeable on macro swings ) .., far from m9+ levels anyhow

Wm1am2 beats m8 on other aspects : a wider stage , microdetails/surface perception and highs. Not subtle.

M8 beats in timbral behavior and bass / euphony ( tube-alike ) , it is quite a fun right sound - i like to have at hands , also a more front and narrower stage is easier on ears at times

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #13,657 of 15,629
I got a used WM1AM2 and one thing I see missing is the different playback methods; on the old WM1Z we had the analog meters, digital VU meter, graphic EQ and more, are those features gone on the M2s?

Indeed, I have those on my DMP-Z1, but they don't seem to be there on the 1AM2. I only see the cover art or cassette if I toggle it on. Is there a way to get to VU meters, etc.?

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #13,658 of 15,629
I got a used WM1AM2 and one thing I see missing is the different playback methods; on the old WM1Z we had the analog meters, digital VU meter, graphic EQ and more, are those features gone on the M2s?
They are gone since the release of the ZX500, so quite some time. I would not expect them to come back.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #13,659 of 15,629

M8 is quite bit better for dynamic range and resolution ( well noticeable on macro swings ) .., far from m9+ levels anyhow

Wm1am2 beats m8 on other aspects : a wider stage , microdetails/surface perception and highs. Not subtle.
Are we talking about subjective or objective performance?

What exactly does flat mean? Correct?

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #13,660 of 15,629

M8 beats in timbral behavior and bass / euphony ( tube-alike ) , it is quite a fun right sound -relaxing ..- i like to have at hands at times
It could be that I'm wrong about the M 8. I've had it for approx. no longer heard in half a year. So no A - B comparison. But I really like what I've heard from AM 2 so far. I don't miss the M 8 one bit. For me it was important that the player when I e.g. Sitting on the beach in the sun doesn't get hot and shut off. I always had that with the M 8. And it was annoying.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #13,661 of 15,629
@Vamp898 I wrote "my ears" ..not going into measurements (of any kind) . By flat I mean that comparing 5 dap/players on same songs and parts, for dynamic handling, the wm1am2 results easily the flatter of the group. Let alone desktop systems.
It is even more noticeable if your reference is i.e. classical music and live performances, where ( you might know ) orchestra swings can be and need to be dramatic, but wm1am2 doesn't render the contrasts well enough .
>>my ears<<

Long time Sony fan🙋

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #13,662 of 15,629
It could be that I'm wrong about the M 8. I've had it for approx. no longer heard in half a year. So no A - B comparison. But I really like what I've heard from AM 2 so far. I don't miss the M 8 one bit. For me it was important that the player when I e.g. Sitting on the beach in the sun doesn't get hot and shut off. I always had that with the M 8. And it was annoying.
I would choose and take 1am2 on the beach as well
for same ergonomical and functional reasons

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #13,664 of 15,629
@Vamp898 I wrote "my ears" ..not going into measurements (of any kind) . By flat I mean that comparing 5 dap/players on same songs and parts, for dynamic handling, the wm1am2 results easily the flatter of the group. Let alone desktop systems.
It is even more noticeable if your reference is i.e. classical music and live performances, where ( you might know ) orchestra swings can be and need to be dramatic, but wm1am2 doesn't render the contrasts well enough .
>>my ears<<

Long time Sony fan🙋
Ah, i understand.

Flat is always a complicated word, it means something different for almost everyone.

For me personally, flat means "It sounds exactly how the recording is" so for me, flat means correct. But for other people, flat might mean "It lacks bass" or "it lacks treble" and so on. For some people flat means, it shows a flat line in measurements (unrelated to how it sounds), so i was unsure what flat means to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back