Sony WF-1000XM5
Nov 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #856 of 1,039
Has anyone updated to firmware 3.0.1 yet?

I have read on reddit that after the update it does not keep the LDAC setting even when prioritize sound quality is enabled.
I did. Not a single issue. LDAC is there like before.

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #858 of 1,039
Sony is buying back my XM4's that developed the battery issue. This made me consider getting XM5's more than I would have after experiencing that drastic nosedive in performance. But instead I got the AirPods Pro 2. I was expecting more of a compromise, sacrificing sound for convenience, and so far that's not the case.

- Been listening back and forth with my XM4's and I think I actually prefer the APP2 sound better. It's more...alive? More wide-ranging? (I'm not sure of the correct terminology.) The bass is heavier, maybe too much at times, and I'll be looking into an EQ app. But it's much better than I was expecting.
- It turns out I like to use transparency mode just as much as noise cancelling, and the one on the AirPods seems more natural to me. Time will tell if ANC is comparable -- I plan to get some foam tips to recreate the passive noise cancelling of the XM4's. So far the stock tips are not terrible but I haven't been on a plane, on a busy street, etc.
- Since I got the XM4's in 2021, I use buds for calls and meetings much more than I thought I would, and the Apple ecosystem factor is real.
- I think the oval shape on the APP2 fits my ears better. I got used to a whole long process for getting the XM4's seated and sealed in my ears, and it seems like I can basically slap the AirPods in and call it good.

But I'm still interested in having an awesome-sound-inside-a-bubble experience, so I will keep an eye on this thread to see how the XM5's play out. Couple things are currently dealbreakers for me, and I'll be curious to see if firmware changes remove them:
- The volume control. That's far too many taps! Would drive me nuts inside a day.
- Needing to create a Sony account and log in to get the best ANC performance. No thanks.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice here! Off to see if the AirPods Pro 2 threads are as informative.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #859 of 1,039
Sony is buying back my XM4's that developed the battery issue. This made me consider getting XM5's more than I would have after experiencing that drastic nosedive in performance. But instead I got the AirPods Pro 2. I was expecting more of a compromise, sacrificing sound for convenience, and so far that's not the case.

- Been listening back and forth with my XM4's and I think I actually prefer the APP2 sound better. It's more...alive? More wide-ranging? (I'm not sure of the correct terminology.) The bass is heavier, maybe too much at times, and I'll be looking into an EQ app. But it's much better than I was expecting.
- It turns out I like to use transparency mode just as much as noise cancelling, and the one on the AirPods seems more natural to me. Time will tell if ANC is comparable -- I plan to get some foam tips to recreate the passive noise cancelling of the XM4's. So far the stock tips are not terrible but I haven't been on a plane, on a busy street, etc.
- Since I got the XM4's in 2021, I use buds for calls and meetings much more than I thought I would, and the Apple ecosystem factor is real.
- I think the oval shape on the APP2 fits my ears better. I got used to a whole long process for getting the XM4's seated and sealed in my ears, and it seems like I can basically slap the AirPods in and call it good.

But I'm still interested in having an awesome-sound-inside-a-bubble experience, so I will keep an eye on this thread to see how the XM5's play out. Couple things are currently dealbreakers for me, and I'll be curious to see if firmware changes remove them:
- The volume control. That's far too many taps! Would drive me nuts inside a day.
- Needing to create a Sony account and log in to get the best ANC performance. No thanks.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice here! Off to see if the AirPods Pro 2 threads are as informative.
XM5 ANC is better than XM4 but not by a lot and still far from sound-inside-a-bubble as you term it

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #860 of 1,039
The XM4's actually delivered a near-perfect bubble of music for me. Not the (so far unattainable) complete cone of silence, but close enough.
I nearly bought the Bose QCII several times but was always stopped by their huge and unwieldy looks.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #861 of 1,039
Hi all!

My earbuds take a long time to connect to my iPhone, much longer than the X4, the Technichs az80 or my Sennheiser MTW3. Is that normal? I figured it w as the drop issue since it comes and goes but it's gone worse lately. I sent them in for repair today, but trying to decide if I should give them another go or sell them.

Thanks

Beth

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #862 of 1,039
Hi all!

My earbuds take a long time to connect to my iPhone, much longer than the X4, the Technichs az80 or my Sennheiser MTW3. Is that normal? I figured it w as the drop issue since it comes and goes but it's gone worse lately. I sent them in for repair today, but trying to decide if I should give them another go or sell them.

Thanks

Beth
My xm5 connection works the same as the xm4 connecting to iphone 13, no issues at all. If Sony service centre accept it, guess they recognize the issue, iphone aac is one of the most stable bluetooth codec i have tried.

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #863 of 1,039
Hi all!

Thanks

Beth
Nearly instantaneous connection with my S23+, beep awake as inserting in ears.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #864 of 1,039
Sony UK replaced my faulty XM4's (battery issue) with XM5's. They were well over a year old too. Still, I found the XM5's to be damn annoying to get out of the charge case, and didn't sound leaps and bounds better. I sold them.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #866 of 1,039
I just find out today that XM5 sound best with its included foam tips everything sound right and natural. Also after the last update i feel like the upper frequency sound more open and natural it is smoother overall. Is it just me?

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #867 of 1,039
I just find out today that XM5 sound best with its included foam tips everything sound right and natural. Also after the last update i feel like the upper frequency sound more open and natural it is smoother overall. Is it just me?
As for the improvement in sound after the last update, that's the same for me. However, I cannot say the same for the original tips which are unwearable for me.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #869 of 1,039
What about the dropping? Did that get better on the last update?
Fortunately I have never had dropping. I believe that all of this depends exclusively on the type of Bluetooth in place on the audio source. I recently purchased the Pixel 8 Pro and I have no interruptions even when streaming at the maximum LDAC Bitrate. Before, however, there were interruptions in Ldac.

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #870 of 1,039
What about the dropping? Did that get better on the last update?
Yeah, i never get any dropping connection issue. I mainly use xm5 for my PC and phone. I also activate LDAC.
As for the improvement in sound after the last update, that's the same for me. However, I cannot say the same for the original tips which are unwearable for me.
I also read some people got the foam tips issue. What make it unwearable?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back