Step above mid fi
Feb 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

Dgiant

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have finally gotten the funds to upgrade from my Denon D5000s. My budget is 2000 dollars for both amp/DAC and headphones. I would like a can that does the denons better. Better bass(quality not thump), better mid range and better imaging. I'm using a fiio e9+schiit modi combo.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 126
Beyerdynamic T1 with a Schiit Valhalla/Bifrost.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 126
You could just get a pair of he400 and get great bass from an ortho and just keep the current amp/dac.  Or...

lcd2.2 plus lyr and odac would be seriously good!! With this budget there are lot's of options. This would give you other worldly bass...textured and layered with true visceral punch. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 126
Have you considered going ortho? You can get a really nice rig for $2k.

Especially if you go with something like the HE-500, that'd free up quite a bit of money for the rest of the chain.

Of course, any suggestions are appreciated. I've been looking at the audeze LCD 2.2 hifiman he500 and even the KOSS ESP :p

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 126
If the weight doesn't bother you, I'd go for the lcd2.2 with bamboo. The bamboo is a bit lighter and looks great!! I think it will give you what you're looking for. 

gL!!

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 126
It only seems to impact the weight (though tbh not hugely different in weight to me when on my head). I have tried both and noticed no sound difference, and that is pretty much the unanimous consensus. There are some sound differences between revisions, but other than that they seem pretty consistent ( some that believe in the whole cable myth( : ) ) think the new flat cables sound worse than the older revision cables  or than with aftermarket ones though *shrugs*.  The rosewood cans are a bit of a gamble on looks, with most looking mediocre to slightly bad even though there are a few REALLY beautiful ones lurking around here and there. The bamboo is much more consistent though I think some still look a bit nicer.  That I like the look is subjective though and there seems to be a bit of a split on this too so whatever. It is worth noting the bamboos will be easier to get a hld of as well.

Also, consider the vegan ear-pads. I was lucky enough to try a bamboo with vegans and rosewood  with lambskin, and the weight didn't bother me at all on either of them ( perhaps because I've played football for 12 years and was used to helmets etc?). And though they are large cans, they are a bit smaller in person than you will be led to believe if you haven't seen them ( i.e. not crazy big or heavy). You can feel them on your head due to pressure but it is barely noticeable. Both the lambskin and vegan were comfortable to me, but the Vegan seemed more so and cooler ( general consensus here as well). Since I wear glasses I decided on the Vegan myself. There are one or two people that say that the bass etc might be slightly worse, but their are also like usual people who think it sounds better with vegan. But the vast majority notice no sound difference whatsoever( and the vegans are definitely more comfortable for me).

At any rate, the lcd-2 is a sexy can and I'm loving mine, even with relatively inexpensive amps and dacs in the 3-500 dollar range.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 126
I would also consider the Ultrasone Signature Pro if it was my budget.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 126
The crack is great. There are a couple for sale used here on the forums. But...for my money I'd go with the Schitt lyr and a nice set of tubes. It would pair wonderfully with the lcd2 and many other hp's for that matter. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 126
Let me mention I'm running the Audeze LCD2 Bamboo through the Lyr currently until I upgrade my amplifier and it sounds absolutely euphoric. You can shoot higher than I was able to with an amplifier, and I imagine it'll be even better then.

I'm just not in a financial position to make the upgrade yet. 

That being said, Let me point out that I personally don't understand why so many people complain about the weight or the comfort. I prefer the Audeze in terms of comfort from every headphone I have outside of the Sony XB series. (Though I don't have an extremely expansive collection at the moment).

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 126
Quote:
Well, call me a proud new owner of an pair of audeze LCD 2.2 bamboo editions!! The wait is killing me ;(

Lucky!!! Enjoy man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back