The Audio Lounge
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #13,246 of 36,213
Now that I have my vinyl system back spinning, I am looking for some decent bookshelf speakers to augment my Bose 301s. They were great as a fill but can't really deliver a decent spectrum of sound. I can't fit floor standing speakers in my very small house so have to rely on some decent bookshelf varieties. Nice thing is I don't have a huge room to fill out so I can go towards to smaller size. The 301s (from 10+ years ago) still pretty nice, just looking for a more full sound. Any one have any suggestions?
Haven't heard them but Elac gets a lot of love from listeners and critics. Would love to hear their Uni-Fi concentric mid/tweet 3 ways. Only $500 pair.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #13,247 of 36,213
I have heard good things from ELAC as well, funny you mention the Uni Fi- same one I was considering...as well as the SVS Prime.
Thanks for the suggestion...

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #13,248 of 36,213
I have heard good things from ELAC as well, funny you mention the Uni Fi- same one I was considering...as well as the SVS Prime.

If you want a small set of active speakers (wireless) the LSX is pretty rocking. Other than that I've heard good things about the Unifi as well.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #13,249 of 36,213
These are all excellent speakers. A few others to look at... Airpulse A300 (designed by Phil Jones), and Dynaudio Xeo2 and Xeo4.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #13,250 of 36,213
Now that I have my vinyl system back spinning, I am looking for some decent bookshelf speakers to augment my Bose 301s. They were great as a fill but can't really deliver a decent spectrum of sound. I can't fit floor standing speakers in my very small house so have to rely on some decent bookshelf varieties. Nice thing is I don't have a huge room to fill out so I can go towards to smaller size. The 301s (from 10+ years ago) still pretty nice, just looking for a more full sound. Any one have any suggestions?
You could do a lot worse than these little fellas-
https://www.cnet.com/news/this-could-be-the-last-hi-fi-speaker-youll-buy/

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #13,251 of 36,213
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #13,252 of 36,213
I would love to get the P3ESRs but they are way out of my price range. I think I could do about $500 or so...still have college kids to fund.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #13,255 of 36,213
Are you looking for passive or active speakers?

Just passive. Running off a vintage Sony STR-1020AV (about 120 wpc 8 ohms).

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #13,256 of 36,213

I bought some PreSonus Eris powered monitor speakers, to replace the old PC speakers on my desk.
PreSonus was founded by some Baton Rouge natives and LSU Engineering grads, and they're still headquartered in Baton Rouge, LA.
The Eris series is available in four models, with woofers ranging from 3.5" (small near-field monitor), to 8" (larger bookshelf sized).
Due to space & cost, I got the E4.5 - https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris-Studio-Monitors
I actually got them from Amazon, as a kit, with adjustable stands - https://smile.amazon.com/Presonus-Eris-E4-5-Monitors-Isolation-x/dp/B01GPTLTDG
They're not currently hooked up, but when they were, I had the preamp output from my iFi Micro iDSD going to these, and to a Polk PSW110 powered subwoofer.
618J3JsSPDL._SL1250_.jpg

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #13,260 of 36,213
You're a lucky man.
Yes, thanks. Best I ever got them to sound was with a friend's Atma-Shere S30 tube amp. 30 watts channel and OTL (no output transfrmers). The Rogers are the less common 16 ohm models and a superb match for tubes without transformers. Alas, couldn't justify spending 3k on an amp to play secondary speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back