The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #9,948 of 12,548
I think there's a reason I avoid posting in these forums.

"a" reason??

I can think of at least 3 or 4 
evil_smiley.gif

Peace!!

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #9,949 of 12,548
I think there's a reason I avoid posting in these forums.

Hey man, discussion is always good. I am more than happy to hear your thoughts and perspective without telling you I don't want to post here. Just let us post back our perspective as well, it's only fair:)

Peace:)

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #9,951 of 12,548
Head fi has a reputation of elitist snobbery and I know why. Not saying everyone is like that. But with comments like the ones from Perhapss its easy to see why. I dont feel welcome here. Peace!

Well, for whatever it is worth: I was enjoying the interaction regarding the software between you and some others. I am not interested in trying it out myself as I just want to let the headphone do what it wants (same reason I do not eq), but I don't have an issue with talking it out.

FYI: I did mess around with HQPlayer a while back (trial) and did find sonic improvements to my ear upsampling. Also, I know Garage 1217 is messing with hardware filters that will adjust the sound based on headphone. So others are comfortable with, and having fun with this stuff. It's just not something I would want to do.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #9,952 of 12,548
Head fi has a reputation of elitist snobbery and I know why. Not saying everyone is like that. But with comments like the ones from Perhapss its easy to see why. I dont feel welcome here. Peace!

I`ve only stated my own personal opinions about what I personally am looking for.
I can see where some people might enjoy what you`ve offered here.

I am a grumpy old man with a point of view about what I like and try not to be personally antagonistic.
Please don`t take take my words as such.

Incidentally, other than the plugin thing, I`ve agreed with some of what you`ve written.

I strongly disagree however that the dt880 needs to be "fixed"  with a tube amp.
My problem with headfi is when people state this sort of statement AS FACT.

Another fact, I prefer the dt880 with solid state amps (which goes counter to a GREAT DEAL of opinion thrown about here).
Many people IMO are led to believe via posting on headfi and other sites that they "need" a tube amp for "synergy" or various other things...

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #9,953 of 12,548
I agree with you about dt880 and solid state amps. I think some people really don't like the sparkle on the dt880 and so use a tube amp to try and warm it up. This basically imparts distortion into the music and acts as a kind of EQ to the highs. Imo, to truly enjoy what the dt880 is a nice transparent solid state amp is the best. Of course, YMMV.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #9,954 of 12,548
I agree with you about dt880 and solid state amps. I think some people really don't like the sparkle on the dt880 and so use a tube amp to try and warm it up. This basically imparts distortion into the music and acts as a kind of EQ to the highs. Imo, to truly enjoy what the dt880 is a nice transparent solid state amp is the best. Of course, YMMV.

Yessir.

Good points IMO.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #9,958 of 12,548
but back to the topic at hand yes??  DT880/600.  Killer headphone.  pairs very well with OTL tube amps.  Personally I recommend the tung sol power tube with a nice warm mullard as the other.  damn fine match. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #9,959 of 12,548
I power my 600 Ohm DT880's with a LD MKIII using Novosibirsk power tubes and EI 6HM5 Yugoslavian driver tubes. Great results btw.
I also have a Keces HA-171 that I use with my HD600's...I'll have to try it with the DT880's as perhapss has suggested. It's a burly SS amp that makes the HD600 sound fantastic but I don't think I've ever tried the DT880's on that system. I also have SS and tube outputs on the DAC in that system so I'll have some options to play with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back