The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #7,891 of 12,548
After a couple of months of owning the DT880-600, I've really grown to like them. Currently using a Yulong A100 solid state amp to drive them, thinking of getting either a Schiit Valhalla or Lyr to experience them with a tube amp. Any recommendations between these 2 amps?

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #7,893 of 12,548
Crack for me these two are meant for each other.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #7,895 of 12,548
I use the fiio e12 to run my 600 ohm, dt 880's. From everything I have read the JDS Labs 02 should run your dt880, 600.ohm cans. In some ways I wish I had gotten the 02, but I got the e12 before joining Head-Fi.org.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #7,896 of 12,548
  Does anyone have an experience with using the JDS Labs O2 amp with the 600 ohm version of DT880? Will it drive the headphone just fine? I know Nwavguy said that the amp will drive any 600 ohm headphones just fine but I was just wondering anyway.

Thanks in advanced.

I have the JDS Labs O2 (with rear RCA's) and it drives my 600 ohm DT-880 fine about 12:00 oclock on the volume. I am using a CD player and\or DVD\BluRay optical drive to feed the amps. BTW I use the lower gain setting. They sound great together but when I listen to the Beyer's I usually use my LD MKIII amp for some reason... probably because I've read sooo much about tube amps and the 880's but in truth the O2 sounds fantastic with them also!

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #7,898 of 12,548
My DT880 have not seen a lot of head time in quite a while since the T50RP's arrived on the scene.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #7,900 of 12,548
Just Got some 250 ohm pros to replace my SR325is (prefer coilied cable and the flexibility of the 250 ohm, 600's didn't sound dramatically better to me, etc.) Thinking of getting a magni/modi to match with them soon, as my desktop rig. (have a Fiio E18 that actually drives them pretty well)

I have to say, these cans do something really special for me. I tend to like brighter cans, and clarity is big for me so these deliver in spades. Transparency on these cans is very high for me; great details, soundstage and imaging. comfort is obviously quite high. Bass is great. I could see them being a little analytical for people who like warm sounds. This and the Sennheiser 598 are kind of like two different but equally affordable flavors of the a similar can IMO.

Classical is just stellar, and I actually find the vocals quite enjoyable. The separation is one of the only headphones good enough at this price to make really thick mixes like Janelle Monae and Melody Gardot sound superbly clear. Games are some of the best in class. Exceptionally approachably headphones unless you are super treble-sensitive, etc.

In terms of attainable and convenient headphones these (besides maybe the HE-400i) are pretty much end-game for me until I have a lot more disposable income! Might write a more in-depth (and maybe compare them with other cans) Good to be part of the Beyer club!

Happy Listening
dt880smile.png

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #7,901 of 12,548
  Just Got some 250 ohm pros to replace my SR325is (prefer coilied cable and the flexibility of the 250 ohm, 600's didn't sound dramatically better to me, etc.) Thinking of getting a magni/modi to match with them soon, as my desktop rig. (have a Fiio E18 that actually drives them pretty well)

I have to say, these cans do something really special for me. I tend to like brighter cans, and clarity is big for me so these deliver in spades. Transparency on these cans is very high for me; great details, soundstage and imaging. comfort is obviously quite high. Bass is great. I could see them being a little analytical for people who like warm sounds. This and the Sennheiser 598 are kind of like two different but equally affordable flavors of the a similar can IMO.

Classical is just stellar, and I actually find the vocals quite enjoyable. The separation is one of the only headphones good enough at this price to make really thick mixes like Janelle Monae and Melody Gardot sound superbly clear. Games are some of the best in class. Exceptionally approachably headphones unless you are super treble-sensitive, etc.

In terms of attainable and convenient headphones these (besides maybe the HE-400i) are pretty much end-game for me until I have a lot more disposable income! Might write a more in-depth (and maybe compare them with other cans) Good to be part of the Beyer club!

Happy Listening
dt880smile.png

You picked a good set of headphones to keep you happy for awhile. They are my go to gaming headphones I use all the time. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #7,903 of 12,548

There are some minor distortions with underpowered headphone outs on the 250 that I don't hear with the 600, but I never use those anyways, so I don't really care. I detected perhaps a slight difference in how sensitive the phones were to say a receiver versus a headphone out, but again, tiny. The 600 ohm isn't worth an extra penny to me. So you are correct, there really wasn't any difference for me : )

Used them for some monitoring in the studio yesterday. Sounded really great, and that's all that matters.

Happy Listening!

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #7,905 of 12,548

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back