The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #9,376 of 12,548

Once upon the time that was true.  But by today's standards they are mid-fi.  There is a big difference between the DT 880 and T1.

I disagree, respectively. As someone who has auditioned the T1 and HD800 extensively, I don't feel like there's a "big" difference between them and their predecessors. In fact, in some areas I actually preferred the HD650 and DT880 to the HD800 and the T1. For example, to me the HD650 had more weight and authority to its vocals and just as good timbre and tone as the HD800. The DT880 I feel is more neutral than the T1. Obviously both the T1 and HD800 are superior in terms of technicality in most ways, but for actually listening to music, I prefer the HD650 to the HD800. And in some cases and for certain genres, I preferred the DT880 to the T1. The essence of it is: the differences aren't as drastic as some make them out to be. 
  With all due respect, they both play music well. But, they aren't as highly resolving as what is out there now like the Mr. Speakers Ether, Hifiman HE-1000/560/HE-6, Stax Sr-009/007, or HD800. Hell even my Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog is much better than both HD650 and DT880. Take it from a guy named "Abieza" who said he put the HD650 back in the closet after hearing the Alpha Dogs and he now owns the Alpha Primes.

A custom tuned and dampened headphone is one thing to compare against a mass-produced manufactured headphone (still made in Germany).

But that being said, the DT880 is neutral and analytical to a point. The only thing it sacrifices is superior resolution and lower distortion that TOTL planars and electrostats have. The bass and midrange is simply more accurate on the Alpha Dogs versus the DT880. Treble is a tossup because that is highly subjective (I prefer DT880 for acoustic music). The only place I see the DT880 being better than the Alpha Dog I own is in the soundstage width and airiness because it is open and has
round earcups.

EDIT: When I say resolution, I mean hearing extremely subtle ambient cues in the recording studio. Like hearing the reverb of a singer's voice and being able to tell whether it is studio added reverb or natural reverb from the room.

Yes, but if if you pop into the HD650 thread you'll see tons upon tons of people who have climbed all the way to the top of the audio ladder (LCD-2, HD800, etc), only to come back and settle with the HD650 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Same thing applies to the DT880's, @pp312's recent experience as he says verifies that. I do agree with you that the new flagships  (along with some new planars) are superior in terms of technicality in some aspects, but I don't think the differences are anywhere near as people make them out to be. The differences are subtle at best. But more importantly, I'm of the opinion that headphones are about more than just sonic qualities and frequency graphs. Again, this is subjective, but to me, musicality is the highest priority and in that are it is not uncommon at all to prefer a cheaper headphone to a more expensive one,. 

In my view, that fact doesn't make the DT880 a 'mid-fi' headphone.

DT880 is definitely a high fidelity headphone in my book.
Both are high fidelity products with the T1 being a tad better than DT880 across the board.

I don't get the typical 'mid-fi' thing at all.
Imagine someone saying that Focal Electra line is 'mid-fi' due to the existence of Focal Utopia line.
Or saying that Ferrari Enzo (or even F50) is not a supercar anymore since the launch of Ferrari LaFerrari.

I much prefer reserving the 'mid-fi' terminology for those products for which the sound quality is not a main concern but are still listenables: Philips Uptown, Fidelio M1, you know...

DT880 is a mid-priced high fidelity headphone while T1 is a high-priced high fidelity headphone.

I think you put it perfectly with the your Ferrari analogy. Its kind of like calling the McLaren F1 a sportscar because it has been surpassed by the P1, but of course we all know the purists would choose the old-fashioned F1 
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #9,377 of 12,548
Here is a comparison between the ADs and HD600 and AKGK701. I can say from similar experience that the DT880 would follow the same ranking as the HD600 (I am receiving my pair in a few days from accessoryjack).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686489/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-review-and-comparison-with-hd600-and-k701

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #9,378 of 12,548
I own DT880/600, HD600, and K702. The AKGs are most resolving and transparent of all, followed by the HD600. The DT880/600 sit a notch below, but throw a much more enveloping soundfield than the HD600. The Beyers also have a more extended low-end than the other two, assuming the AKGs are stock.

Edit: text

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #9,379 of 12,548
I own DT880/600, HD600, and K702. The AKGs are most resolving and transparent of all, followed by the HD600. The DT880/600 sit a notch below, but throw a much more enveloping soundfield than the HD600. The Beyers also have a more extended low-end than the other two, assuming the AKGs are stock.

Edit: text

Interesting.  I plan to pick up the K7xx once it's available again and compare it to my DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm.  The wait is killing me.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #9,380 of 12,548
Interesting.  I plan to pick up the K7xx once it's available again and compare it to my DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm.  The wait is killing me.

The K7XX sounds closer to the HD650, tonally. I own them, as well. Performance-wise, they're pretty much on the same level as DT880/600.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #9,381 of 12,548
Thanks greatly for the link to Tyl article on Beyers and damping. I'm puzzling over getting budget friendly 880 600 ohm versus saving longer for Hifiman HE 560. Your input has clarified what I should expect. :wink: edit: Coletrain104 offered the link, thx!

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #9,382 of 12,548
Thanks greatly for the link to Tyl article on Beyers and damping. I'm puzzling over getting budget friendly 880 600 ohm versus saving longer for Hifiman HE 560. Your input has clarified what I should expect.
wink.gif
edit: Coletrain104 offered the link, thx!

Going from DT880 (600) to T1 or HE-560 you won't hear a day-and-night difference at all. The price difference is huge. If you can find a pair of used DT880 it would be even better deal. IMHO T1 is a great headphone in every respect but I actually prefer DT880 and T90 sonically to their big brother. I prefer HE560 to DT880 and even to the T1 (a tad) but for that kind of money you can buy lots of music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #9,383 of 12,548
Going from DT880 (600) to T1 or HE-560 you won't hear a day-and-night difference at all. The price difference is huge. If you can find a pair of used DT880 it would be even better deal. IMHO T1 is a great headphone in every respect but I actually prefer DT880 and T90 sonically to their big brother. I prefer HE560 to DT880 and even to the T1 (a tad) but for that kind of money you can buy lots of music :)  

Very good point about budgeting, Muxamed. I tend to put music buys in a different category than hardware but my shrinking income suggests I should consider your point carefully.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #9,384 of 12,548
Hi. i've purchased a new DT 880 PRO that is along with pleather pouch. I also had another one in 2010 that was with a nylon carrying case. Since then i've tried so many headphones so i can't remember how exactly did the old dt 880 pro sound. Aside from packaging i think there are some other differences. If i could remember correctly the old one(2010) had "sponge foam pad" while the new one(2015) has "cloth like foam pad" and i also feel like the sound is a little bit different between the two models. I think "sibilance and dryness" has reduced and a tad warmness has added to the sound in new model ! 
Please tell me do i wrong? Does it possible that the structure of the "drivers of DT 880" has changed during these recent years by beyerdynamic? Are the new drivers exactly same as before?

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #9,386 of 12,548
  Hi. i've purchased a new DT 880 PRO that is along with pleather pouch. I also had another one in 2010 that was with a nylon carrying case. Since then i've tried so many headphones so i can't remember how exactly did the old dt 880 pro sound. Aside from packaging i think there are some other differences. If i could remember correctly the old one(2010) had "sponge foam pad" while the new one(2015) has "cloth like foam pad" and i also feel like the sound is a little bit different between the two models. I think "sibilance and dryness" has reduced and a tad warmness has added to the sound in new model ! 
Please tell me do i wrong? Does it possible that the structure of the "drivers of DT 880" has changed during these recent years by beyerdynamic? Are the new drivers exactly same as before?

From what I remember, the DT880 (1993?) came out with a flat aluminum mesh exterior, larger cups, and a dryer overall sound; also, there was outstanding soundstage and exceptional comfort. You could wear these phones for hours without noticing it. The only problem is that the highs didn't have the same extension as a phone like the K701, which was airier. 

I've never heard the "old" one (2010) - which had DT880 stamped on the aluminum mesh. 

I've also heard the DT880 (600 Ohms). While it's best amped, the sound was fuller overall. Appealing highs, much stronger bass - and somewhat reduced headspace. The cups seemed smaller, but still comfortable. Given the competition, these are a great value. 

The drivers from 1993 are definitely different. But I don't know which changes happened between more recent models.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #9,387 of 12,548
  With all due respect, they both play music well. But, they aren't as highly resolving as what is out there now like the Mr. Speakers Ether, Hifiman HE-1000/560/HE-6, Stax Sr-009/007, or HD800. Hell even my Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog is much better than both HD650 and DT880. Take it from a guy named "Abieza" who said he put the HD650 back in the closet after hearing the Alpha Dogs and he now owns the Alpha Primes.

A custom tuned and dampened headphone is one thing to compare against a mass-produced manufactured headphone (still made in Germany).

But that being said, the DT880 is neutral and analytical to a point. The only thing it sacrifices is superior resolution and lower distortion that TOTL planars and electrostats have. The bass and midrange is simply more accurate on the Alpha Dogs versus the DT880. Treble is a tossup because that is highly subjective (I prefer DT880 for acoustic music). The only place I see the DT880 being better than the Alpha Dog I own is in the soundstage width and airiness because it is open and has
round earcups.

EDIT: When I say resolution, I mean hearing extremely subtle ambient cues in the recording studio. Like hearing the reverb of a singer's voice and being able to tell whether it is studio added reverb or natural reverb from the room.

I own both the DT880 600ohms manufaktur, and the Alpha Dogs. Can't say anything about the HD650; I've never heard them. In my opinion the DT880  is slightly more accurate, better sound stage and more detailed. The 880 did have the Bayer treble peak but is less pronounced as the speaker broke in. The Alpha Dogs are fantastic, but only beat the DT880 in tonality. Love acoustic and string music with the A Dogs (exact opposite, lol).  The Alphas produce more bass, but its colored and not flat IMO. I've read that the DT880 scale well with amps so maybe our differences have something to do with that. Running on Vintage receivers. Nikko NR815 (660 ohms) , and Marantz 2238.

The DT880 manufaktur are also handmade, and in Germany like you said. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #9,388 of 12,548

FWIW, my DT880/600 are a few years old and I've used them a lot. At least a couple of thousand hours. They don't come across as overly bright or the least bit strident. If anything, the lean toward warmth comparatively speaking. I'm not their original owner and I suspect he didn't put a whole lot of time on the cans. They certainly didn't sound like this when I first got them - more dry, less fleshed-out, shone a spotlight on the upper mids.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #9,389 of 12,548
I own both the DT880 600ohms manufaktur, and the Alpha Dogs. Can't say anything about the HD650; I've never heard them. In my opinion the DT880  is slightly more accurate, better sound stage and more detailed. The 880 did have the Bayer treble peak but is less pronounced as the speaker broke in. The Alpha Dogs are fantastic, but only beat the DT880 in tonality. Love acoustic and string music with the A Dogs (exact opposite, lol).  The Alphas produce more bass, but its colored and not flat IMO. I've read that the DT880 scale well with amps so maybe our differences have something to do with that. Running on Vintage receivers. Nikko NR815 (660 ohms) , and Marantz 2238.

The DT880 manufaktur are also handmade, and in Germany like you said. 

To me the tone is what makes the headphone sound realistic. I like the DT880 and very wide soundstage and clear treble but the mids and bass aren't wet enough for me. Also the DT880 bass is more neutral than the AD, but not more resolving. I hear deeper and more powerful bass and mids on the Alpha Dog and a slightly darker presentation overall. It's funny we have opposite tastes in the acoustic music. I think the drier presentation of the DT880 (comparatively) lends itself to a spacious and open sound which is good for string music.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #9,390 of 12,548
To me the tone is what makes the headphone sound realistic. I like the DT880 and very wide soundstage and clear treble but the mids and bass aren't wet enough for me. Also the DT880 bass is more neutral than the AD, but not more resolving. I hear deeper and more powerful bass and mids on the Alpha Dog and a slightly darker presentation overall. It's funny we have opposite tastes in the acoustic music. I think the drier presentation of the DT880 (comparatively) lends itself to a spacious and open sound which is good for string music.

+1 Well said, I really liked how you compared and contrasted the Alpha Dog's to the DT 880 600 ohm headphone. I have both headphones and your impressions are spot on. I still use my DT 880, weekly, it was my first really good headphone, I bought for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back