The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,127 of 1,323
The last one please. Do I see two wires there?

Four, methinks
biggrin.gif

Really, dual entry is the only way to go on these, given the mess Beyer made with the internal wiring. It also gives two small ports up top which do a lot to improve the sound.

Win Win.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #1,128 of 1,323

Innerfidelity had an interesting article related to this last week: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/coarse-accurate-reviewers-view-audio-ideal

A bit longwinded, but yes, some valid and interesting points. There's simply no absolute truth in audio (or many things, for that matter :wink:

Four, methinks
biggrin.gif

Really, dual entry is the only way to go on these, given the mess Beyer made with the internal wiring. It also gives two small ports up top which do a lot to improve the sound.

Win Win.

That last one looks very much like a modified T51p to me, the frame and the joints are different from the DT1350.
I prefer single-sided entry by far, especially for mobile headphones and when the cable is fixed (i.e. cannot be disconnected to free entangled cables).

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,129 of 1,323
Just got a pair of these and I'm really impressed. They make the t51s sound wonky and hollow in comparison. Theyre the most refined on ear I've heard. In some ways I think they could my DT1770S a run for their money, especially in the mids.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,130 of 1,323
Just got a pair of these and I'm really impressed. They make the t51s sound wonky and hollow in comparison. Theyre the most refined on ear I've heard. In some ways I think they could my DT1770S a run for their money, especially in the mids.

I'd love to hear an in depth review of 1350 vs 1770.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,131 of 1,323
I'd love to hear an in depth review of 1350 vs 1770.

I need to spend more time with both cans. I recently changed to the velours on my DT1770s and much prefer the sound.

What I can say now tho is the Tesla drivers definitely have a unique sonic character. They have precision and speed with a nice weight and tonal balance. I feel as tho the mids are the star of the show with the DT1350s which complements jazz and vocal music really well. There's no bass emphasis but when the track calls for it the bass can rumble and goes very deep, but its very controlled and well textured with just enough punch and tactility to be engaging. The treble sounds well controlled to me and I haven't experienced any sibilance that isn't on the track.

As for the dt1770s, the bass is more impactful and present but not overwhelmingly so. With the pleathers the bass impact increases a lot but to me the lower mids sounded slightly compressed. The velours have much more space and air around the instruments and the mids sound a little more forward. Overall, in the short time I've had them obviously the DT1770s are technically superior but due to their u shaped fr I think the DT1350s are an equal compliment in that they're more neutral. They're both very transparent headphones and the main thing the DT1350s lack is soundstage, even tho for an on ear they actually sound like a full sized Headphone in some respects. The instrument separationand imaging isn't on par with the DT1770s bit that's to be expected from such a small driver.

The very fact I'm even comparing the two says enough about how good the dt1350s are.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #1,132 of 1,323
I need to spend more time with both cans. I recently changed to the velours on my DT1770s and much prefer the sound.

What I can say now tho is the Tesla drivers definitely have a unique sonic character. They have precision and speed with a nice weight and tonal balance. I feel as tho the mids are the star of the show with the DT1350s which complements jazz and vocal music really well. There's no bass emphasis but when the track calls for it the bass can rumble and goes very deep, but its very controlled and well textured with just enough punch and tactility to be engaging. The treble sounds well controlled to me and I haven't experienced any sibilance that isn't on the track.

As for the dt1770s, the bass is more impactful and present but not overwhelmingly so. With the pleathers the bass impact increases a lot but to me the lower mids sounded slightly compressed. The velours have much more space and air around the instruments and the mids sound a little more forward. Overall, in the short time I've had them obviously the DT1770s are technically superior but due to their u shaped fr I think the DT1350s are an equal compliment in that they're more neutral. They're both very transparent headphones and the main thing the DT1350s lack is soundstage, even tho for an on ear they actually sound like a full sized Headphone in some respects. The instrument separationand imaging isn't on par with the DT1770s bit that's to be expected from such a small driver.

The very fact I'm even comparing the two says enough about how good the dt1350s are.

Thanks. I own the DT1350's. They have been converted to double entry cabling which makes a huge difference. I am just curious to see if the 1770 is enough of an enhancement to merit owning a pair.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #1,136 of 1,323
would be cool if they did an open or semi-open version of 1350 like they have with the T series
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,137 of 1,323
  would be cool if they did an open or semi-open version of 1350 like they have with the T series
biggrin.gif

I doubt this will happen since the DT1350 is targeting DJs and field sound engineers specifically -- both have no use for an open headphone I guess. And I don't think the DT1350 appeals much to studio sound engineers due to its on-ear design which is not that comfortable.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,138 of 1,323
Which will also come with limitations on sound that an around-ear will probably not.

Determining whether 1350 or 1770 is ultimately better regardless of situation/context is rather silly to me.  Around-ear will always beat on-ear if the bigger headphone isn't cheap crap, with 1770 and 1350, I'd relegate 1770 for mainly home/stationary-listening while 1350 is best suited to mobile use as nearly all on-ears are meant to be.  Go for one or the other?  Get both if you can, I would suggest.

The legend in custom schemes
deadhorse.gif

Mexican DT1350?
Awesome!

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,139 of 1,323
I own both 1350 and 1770. I love both. 1770 is fuller sounding and no-complaint headphone. 1350 is basically 1770 on wartime ration. You appreciate it very well but you know there is something even better where it comes from. For field-recording, the isolation 1350 offers is top notch. Not to mention its portability and near-neutrality. It is fun too. 1770 is on the other hand, the mother ship you get back to at the end of the day and do the sound design job on desktop in a cold and precise way, although it can be equally fun too while watching films and listening to music. Both are built like German tanks. Both can be driven well without a need for a great amp, despite the 250ohm impedance of 1770's. Some feel 1770 with its Tesla 2.0 drivers, is a better value for money than T5p. And DT 1350 with its baby Tesla 1.0 drivers is a no-brainer at $170 on Amazon. And once you taste it, you can't help but feel the urge to buy a full-sized Tesla headphone from beyerdynamic among which 1770 is the best value for money or perhaps the best of all at beyerdynamic. For me, my 1770s didn't ruin my 1350s.1350s tell the truth and 1770s emphasize on the truth.

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,140 of 1,323
Great post Subhakar, I feel pretty much the same regarding the balance between the 1350 and my T90, though in my case the DT1350 are defintely the colder and more correct of the two.  I'd love the hear the version of the truth the DT1770 bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back