The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Apr 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,141 of 1,323
  Great post Subhakar, I feel pretty much the same regarding the balance between the 1350 and my T90, though in my case the DT1350 are defintely the colder and more correct of the two.  I'd love the hear the version of the truth the DT1770 bring.

It is really good to hear this. I have had the torquemadas (DT1350's) for a while now and other than the ergonmics and build quality the sound representation became pretty much legenday when I recabled them to double entry and left the resulting holes at the top of the cups open. Of all the phones and IEM's  I own (dont let the user profile fool you there are literally dozens here ) the 1350's still get the most time in the rotation.

I am an orthodynamic addict and have just about all the vintage legends of that ilk covered, yet the 1350 with the simple above mentioned alterations hangs with every single one of them and bests more than a few. It is the one phone where so far, after the intial recable, all off the usual performance mods either do nothing or make the sound worse. THAT tells me that acoustically Beyer got it right from the get go. Other than Stax, I have never encountered a phone that hit the mark like that right out of the box.

If the 1770 is anywhere near this level. I will be all in.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,142 of 1,323
Yes, it does seem to be true, I did come across a few posts that stated that recabling DT 1350 with double entry balanced cable and leaving the two holes open did wonders to an already great sound. Wish I could do the recabling myself soon, especially for use with the balanced out of Onkyo DP-X1 to taste the dual DAC, dual amp bliss.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,143 of 1,323
It is really good to hear this. I have had the torquemadas (DT1350's) for a while now and other than the ergonmics and build quality the sound representation became pretty much legenday when I recabled them to double entry and left the resulting holes at the top of the cups open. Of all the phones and IEM's  I own (dont let the user profile fool you there are literally dozens here ) the 1350's still get the most time in the rotation.

I am an orthodynamic addict and have just about all the vintage legends of that ilk covered, yet the 1350 with the simple above mentioned alterations hangs with every single one of them and bests more than a few. It is the one phone where so far, after the intial recable, all off the usual performance mods either do nothing or make the sound worse. THAT tells me that acoustically Beyer got it right from the get go. Other than Stax, I have never encountered a phone that hit the mark like that right out of the box.

If the 1770 is anywhere near this level. I will be all in.

Then seriously you owe it to yourself to give the DT1770s a listen. They really are a big step up from the DT1350 in terms of detail and sound stage. They don't have the same tonality, however. The DT1770s have a bit more bass impact, and the midrange is slightly recessed compared to the DT1350 - that said I find the DT1350 just a touch midrange forward, which I enjoy. The detail and soundstage of the DT1770, however, is absolutely stunning in comparison to the DT1350.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,144 of 1,323
More subs in 1770? Could be great. Still as punchy in midbass as 1350?

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,145 of 1,323
Then seriously you owe it to yourself to give the DT1770s a listen. They really are a big step up from the DT1350 in terms of detail and sound stage. They don't have the same tonality, however. The DT1770s have a bit more bass impact, and the midrange is slightly recessed compared to the DT1350 - that said I find the DT1350 just a touch midrange forward, which I enjoy. The detail and soundstage of the DT1770, however, is absolutely stunning in comparison to the DT1350.

A wee bit of Twaron angel hair in the cups brings the bottom end up on the 1350's. That is not really something that I want but it may be of use to others.

I am preparing myself for a listen to the 1770's now.

May 31, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,146 of 1,323
New here, actually found the dt-1350's while shopping for Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii's/amperiors and LOVE THEM. Best on-ear I own! For someone that loves these, what would be a good over-ear open-back? Thanks in advance.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #1,147 of 1,323
New here, actually found the dt-1350's while shopping for Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii's/amperiors and LOVE THEM. Best on-ear I own! For someone that loves these, what would be a good over-ear open-back? Thanks in advance.

That's a difficult question - part of the reason the DT1350 sounds the way it does is that it's closed back.

I'm actually quite a Beyerdynamic fan myself so my recommendations are going to be from them.

First off you could tryout the DT880 - an absolute bargain for what it is, however, while the bass will dig deep, is not as accentuated as a the DT1350, and also depending on the type of music you listen to you may find the treble to peaky and a touch unrefined.

Another from from Beyer would be the T1 Gen 2. I've not heard these yet, but from what I've heard others say is that the bass has been given a boost over the original T1 and the treble has been toned down. However you'll be looking at $1000 upwards for these at current market prices

If you can forget about open back, then the nearest full size headphones to these that I've heard are the DT1770 Pros. These are stunning for closed back headphones, and even though their tonal signature is different from the DT1350, it's close enough that it could be considered the DT1350's bigger brother.

Out of all of them my recommendation would lie with the DT1770 if you want a full size DT1350

As always our ears a different, so try before you buy if at all possible.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,148 of 1,323
Hey thanks Slaphead! Was seriously looking at the 880 Pro 250 ohm as my next choice due to the semi-open nature of them to expand the soundstage without being too breathy, or the DT 1770 but I hadn't heard as much clammer about those cans. Have an offer from a guy here for the 32 ohm version of the 880 premiums but I really want the 250 ohm version I think after seeing this graph - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2

Have you or anyone here tested out the 1770's personally? Numerically speaking the 1770's would be the big brother of the 1350's but that doesn't really mean anything other than marketing from what I gather. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,149 of 1,323
Have you or anyone here tested out the 1770's personally? Numerically speaking the 1770's would be the big brother of the 1350's but that doesn't really mean anything other than marketing from what I gather. 

Yes, I have the DT1350, the DT880 Pro 250Ω, and the DT1770, and by far the nearest one to the DT1350 is the DT1770, but it's so much better in terms of soundstage and detail.

But help me out here - what sort of music do you listen to?

I tend to use the DT1350 as general portables, and they cover all bases pretty well, but are excellent with electronica/EDM IMO. I tend to use the DT880s for classical, jazz and acoustic, and the DT1770s for rock, pop, and electronica/EDM.

Edit - Stay away from the 32Ω DT880, unless you really need to drive them from a portable device. The 250Ω and the 600Ω exhibit far better control overall. IMO the 250Ω is the better choice as there's more flexibility with what you can use it with. The 600Ω is supposed to be the better of the two if you have a good headphone amp that can deliver enough voltage swing to drive them, but if the truth is told I can't hear much, if any, difference between the 250Ω and the 600Ω

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,150 of 1,323
Great info, thanks! Also thanks for confirming my suspicions that the 32 ohm wouldn't cut it for me. Honestly I'd love to test out some planars but I don't have the budget to simply buy them without testing. For more reasonable priced cans I have my sights set on either the dt880 250 ohm or the dt1770 but I've heard some issues with build quality on the latter that leave me wary.

My musical listening taste varies from indie pop to classical to Techno and House music. I also love me some dark and emotive solo piano and more chill classic reggae, some old but good recordings of folk/blues/jazz and occasionally rock music stuff like Radiohead and Placebo. Never country(except the rare Allison Krauss), almost never rap/hip-hop. I like a flat EQ usually because I like to pick apart noises and sounds and define each input clearly and focus on the details of each, hence why I love the dt1350's!  I tried out the Sennheiser hd700's and didn't care for them (they sounded rather lifeless to me, and the open-back felt almost too breathy for my taste), however I don't have a good amp yet to have properly driven them anyway so my impression isn't set in stone yet on those.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #1,152 of 1,323
  hi friends
I am having a challenge finding replacement headband foamies, anybody have a source?
thank you
Gary

Not to be a PR or anything to a fellow Kenadian, but have you tried Beyer?  Two years ago they had them.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,153 of 1,323

Not to be a PR or anything to a fellow Kenadian, but have you tried Beyer?  Two years ago they had them.

hi friends
I am having a challenge finding replacement headband foamies, anybody have a source?
thank you
Gary

Gary, a quick google search shows these, are they what you are looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/200806723604 and http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/kopfpolster.html

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,154 of 1,323
Jun 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,155 of 1,323
Are there any sound differences between late model DT 1350s and earlier ones? I have the one that looks like this, with the all-black earcups and the black headband and larger earpads. I know the earpads make a difference, but I was wondering if their tuning had been adjusted too. 

Older model looks like this and has a different box. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back