The Devil is in the Details: JVC's New IEM Shirt Clip
May 28, 2010 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Courtesy of a fellow head-fier, I recently got my hands on a set of the new (2nd-gen) JVC HA-FX67 Aircushions. Like the old HA-FX66, the earphones themselves are nothing special in any area except comfort. However, one thing JVC added to the package is a shirt clip... and what a shirt clip it is. Unlike the usual generic shirt clip, the new JVC clip features a second, smaller clip on the back that clips neatly to your cable. Now, it may seem weird that I'm more excited about a new clip design than a new set of earphones but so far my success ratio in terms of attaching a clip onto an IEM cord vs. breaking it has been about 30%. I've broken dozens of these things just trying to get the cord in or out, and a couple just sliding them up and down a cable. So IEM manufacturers: please take a page out of the JVC playbook and source these wonderful finger-friendly pieces of plastic from whoever makes them. 

It's so simple and yet so satisfying...

Makeshift button on the side of the clip opens the smaller clip far enough for a thick IEM cord.

Given the chance I would buy these in bulk. 

May 28, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 28
A not so standard review, but an interesting read nonetheless.
Hail to the new King of IEM shirt clips!
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 28
That is actually pretty kewl if nobody starts to adopt this I might have to pick up a cheap pair of aircushions just for the clip LOL.

May 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 28
Very nice, give me a good reason to consider the Aircushions :)

May 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 28
Definitely a very good idea, might have to grab myself a pair of Aircushions now. :wink:

May 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 28
That's pretty awesome.I might have to get a pair of air cushions just for that shirt clip.

And I definitely agree that JVC should sell these in bulk. I'd definitely buy a couple of them.
smile_phones.gif

May 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 28
Sweet clips. Be nice to see those "sold separately".

May 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 28
That's pretty useful.  I keep the clip from my SE530s permanently attached to the 8" mini extension so I don't destroy another cable by always removing and reattaching it, and just insert the mini extension inline wherever I need the clip.  That clip looks a lot more convenient.

May 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 28
JVC always seems to pay attention to details/ergonomics, even if not always doing the best job. The new FX67 is a decent job. A thinner Y-joint similar to their higher models with a lock on cord slider is nice. The new clip is finally one that is useful and easy to use. The new shape is, for me, very easy to handle, insert and remove, and is extremely comfy. Nice job by JVC on a little knock-around phone that I find to have no physical issues with in any way.

May 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 28
Better than being able to connect the clip to the slider?

The problem I find with standard clips (besides any difficulty of getting them on/off the cable) is that they're designed either to clip below the "Y" (not t-shirt friendly), or if above it, only to 1 side. Neither way seems ideal.

May 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Those are generic clips - the cord has to be threaded through a little plastic loop which is a pain by anyone's standards. What JVC did was add a second clip on the other end for the cable 
wink.gif

Quote:
JVC always seems to pay attention to details/ergonomics, even if not always doing the best job. The new FX67 is a decent job. A thinner Y-joint similar to their higher models with a lock on cord slider is nice. The new clip is finally one that is useful and easy to use. The new shape is, for me, very easy to handle, insert and remove, and is extremely comfy. Nice job by JVC on a little knock-around phone that I find to have no physical issues with in any way.

Yep, if I had to describe the selling point of the AirCushions in one word it would be 'user-friendly'. Actually I believe that's exactly the phrase I finished my original HA-FX66 review with 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Better than being able to connect the clip to the slider?

The problem I find with standard clips (besides any difficulty of getting them on/off the cable) is that they're designed either to clip below the "Y" (not t-shirt friendly), or if above it, only to 1 side. Neither way seems ideal.

They serve different purposes. Slider clips aren't always convenient for me precisely due to the limitation of having to be placed above the y-split. On highly microphonic earphones it makes sense, though I often wear a T-shirt and in order to clip onto it I'd have to move the cinch pretty far up the cord. But I often use standard shirt clips to clip a cord onto the bottom of my shirt just to stop it from flailing 12" away from my body and getting snagged on things. When I wear a jacket I clip the cord onto my inner breast pocket so that I don't gradually pull the IEMs from my ears. 

May 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
Those are generic clips - the cord has to be threaded through a little plastic loop which is a pain by anyone's standards.

I actually bought some of those. You get what you pay for. They break so easy it's pathetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back