The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #4,741 of 21,761
Quote:
When did you order your 4As? I'm impatiently waiting for my 8As as well lol. They received my impressions at their China facility on the 24th of December ( I sent them out to the US facility December 4th). So by January 24th would be the 5 week deadline.....

Let's see, I ordered mine during the 4A 40% off Boxing Day sale. My impressions were sent out and they arrived at their American offices the day before Xmas. I waited for a bit and got no email concerning the impressions being usable or not. I sent Brennan an email a couple of weeks later asking if my impressions had passed first inspection and he got back to me an hour later stating that my impressions were good and that they would be off to China towards the end of the week. That was roughly around 2 weeks ago. Heir right now is overflowing with orders so don't be surprised if there's a slightly longer wait. I don't expect to hear anything concerning mine until maybe mid February or so.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4,742 of 21,761
Quote:
  When did you order your 4As? I'm impatiently waiting for my 8As as well lol. They received my impressions at their China facility on the 24th of December ( I sent them out to the US facility December 4th). So by January 24th would be the 5 week deadline.....

Quote:
Let's see, I ordered mine during the 4A 40% off Boxing Day sale. My impressions were sent out and they arrived at their American offices the day before Xmas. I waited for a bit and got no email concerning the impressions being usable or not. I sent Brennan an email a couple of weeks later asking if my impressions had passed first inspection and he got back to me an hour later stating that my impressions were good and that they would be off to China towards the end of the week. That was roughly around 2 weeks ago. Heir right now is overflowing with orders so don't be surprised if there's a slightly longer wait. I don't expect to hear anything concerning mine until maybe mid February or so.

IIRC, the 5 week turnaround time actually starts from the time Heir Audio China receives your impressions. Usually Nancy/Sunny/(*Insert new girl with arbitrarily-chosen English name here*) will send you an e-mail telling you that they've received your impressions and that they're good to go. Brannan is just a relay point in the long road of shipping...

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4,744 of 21,761
Quote:

IIRC, the 5 week turnaround time actually starts from the time Heir Audio China receives your impressions. Usually Nancy/Sunny/(*Insert new girl with arbitrarily-chosen English name here*) will send you an e-mail telling you that they've received your impressions and that they're good to go. Brannan is just a relay point in the long road of shipping...

Yep that is why I mentioned in my post that they received my impressions at their China Office on the 24th of December. The US office received them like a couple weeks before that. I emailed them to find out the situation on the molds and that is when I got an answer that they were good.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #4,745 of 21,761
Quote:
Considering the last time I spoke to Brennan was 2 weeks ago I would think my impressions would be in Heirs China offices by now.

So this be your first Custom IEM :). Hope it works out for you. The Custom TF10 sure left a lot to be desired in my case. To be honest I felt the TF10s sounded better stock.... Although for video games the sound staging/positioning was phenomenal and that is one thing I really liked about them. But for music, a big "hell no!" lol Then I had major fit/comfort issues, so that didn't help things. But I'm hoping that experience helped me to get my ear impressions done the proper way (in my case) where I won't have to suffer through refits :p. Although I heard we can have Kaysen of Fischer audio do the refits as part of an agreement between Heir? I forgot where I heard this but that seems much more promising than sending them back to China again....

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #4,746 of 21,761
My first custom was kind of a disaster. At least I know how to better go about it now.

I passed up on a fullsized headphone I had been wanting for a long time, deciding to focus my attention elsewhere. My luck with used 'stats that aren't Stax is kind of dicey too, and I didn't want to deal with another international summit-fi transaction. Oh, and someone's listening impressions I trust weren't very positive for these in general. Another buddy of mine picked it up instead, and he says it actually sounds great. Kind of having that "argh, why didn't I buy it?" sensation. But he's listening to it out of the most forgiving 3rd party stat amps you can buy, which could have something to do with it sounding inoffensive. Plus who knows, if I had purchased it instead, the drivers could have suddenly decided to start crackling. Seems to work that way.

Last I spoke to the guys at QUAD Musik, they said they couldn't find the problem I reported (ie. the right driver going out constantly and sounding blown-out). I was worried maybe it was the transformer instead, which I of course didn't send in to them. They said they'll send a new transformer, and I can compare the two and whichever works best keep. I'm going to ask if they'll send a second pair of headphones too just in case it's not the transformer. That's going to be annoyingly costly in terms of shipping back and forth, but I want to be sure and get this issue fixed. The Float QA is one of the headphones I'd like to keep.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #4,747 of 21,761
Linux Mint really is something. I just installed Mint 14 (Nadia) Cinnamon 32 bit on my Fujitsu UH900 and I swear its breathed new life into my little netbook!

The instalation was incredibly easy, with the installer doing everything for you from partitioning to searching and downloading drivers (although I created the /boot, /, swap, and /home partitions myself)

Cinnamon was a stretch -its way to heavy for a single core 1.6GHz intel Atom- but running in Gnome is just wonderful. Windows 7 was never this responsive, even after a fresh install. Head-fi is now an absolute joy to use with none of the crashing or hangups in the Reply box that I had before, and live google searches are instant, and actually work. Everything seems faster and more reliable, and all of my ports work.

I'm loving all of the tools and features involved, and yet again, this fluidity is incredible. I never thought you could get this kind of performance with such weak hardware. At this rate I'll probably buy a cheap 13.3" Core-i3 ultrabook for school and keep the Fujitsu for relaxing at a coffee or tea shop.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #4,748 of 21,761
Why I love the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga:

That's the president of the US, who happens to be named Funny Valentine.

....f'in LOL.

Edit: While I love his buff form, I must admit a certain affinity to the first image due to the Eric Wareheim face:

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #4,749 of 21,761
Quote:
Linux Mint really is something. I just installed Mint 14 (Nadia) Cinnamon 32 bit on my Fujitsu UH900 and I swear its breathed new life into my little netbook!

The instalation was incredibly easy, with the installer doing everything for you from partitioning to searching and downloading drivers (although I created the /boot, /, swap, and /home partitions myself)

Cinnamon was a stretch -its way to heavy for a single core 1.6GHz intel Atom- but running in Gnome is just wonderful. Windows 7 was never this responsive, even after a fresh install. Head-fi is now an absolute joy to use with none of the crashing or hangups in the Reply box that I had before, and live google searches are instant, and actually work. Everything seems faster and more reliable, and all of my ports work.

I'm loving all of the tools and features involved, and yet again, this fluidity is incredible. I never thought you could get this kind of performance with such weak hardware. At this rate I'll probably buy a cheap 13.3" Core-i3 ultrabook for school and keep the Fujitsu for relaxing at a coffee or tea shop.

Sounds interesting. Generally speaking the hard drive is the weakest link in the chain. So getting a SSD will really boost Windows performance. But then again Windows 8 was flying on my Cousins new dell PC and its a regular HD.... Plus SSDs are quite cheap these days. I just recommend staying away from OCZ. I've had like 3 RMAs on my personal and my Cousins broke a few weeks before mine broke lol. But I have to admit the thing handles a lot more than a conventional HD could. I was loading up my RWA AK100 with music files (a 32 and 64 GB micro SD card) and it would completely bog down my PC.... This is due to Media Monkey converting all the files and then cutting and pasting them to the device. I couldn't even open up my internet browser lol. It would take about 10 to 15 minutes to just do that. But on a SSD I could load 2 cards at the same time and still be able to surf the web. So for intensive usage a SSD really pays off. Plus if you're OCD like me and very impatient all the better :p.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #4,750 of 21,761
Is it just me or has activity on head-fi really quietened down lately...

Was thinking that about everything, not just Head-Fi. WTH is going on? :confused:

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #4,751 of 21,761
I'm trying to gauge how far are you in Steel ball Run to avoid saying some spoilers about it, since after Part 5 Vento Aureo (or however it's spelled, part 7 is my favourite. Also btw the new anime adaptation is bloody fantastic, bringing the slightly above ugly old artwork, before the spectacular style he uses now in his manga, up to par if not better than the manga's art style, and along with it the fabulous flare of his recent works too, IMO.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #4,754 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm trying to gauge how far are you in Steel ball Run to avoid saying some spoilers about it, since after Part 5 Vento Aureo (or however it's spelled, part 7 is my favourite. Also btw the new anime adaptation is bloody fantastic, bringing the slightly above ugly old artwork, before the spectacular style he uses now in his manga, up to par if not better than the manga's art style, and along with it the fabulous flare of his recent works too, IMO.

I've only read the manga up to the end of Stardust Crusaders a while back. I sort of got distracted after that and lost track of it all. Funny Valentine just struck me as a particularly wonderful character, so I read about him.

I plan on watching the anime soon based on your recommendation. I've only seen the OVAs.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #4,755 of 21,761
Quote:
Sounds interesting. Generally speaking the hard drive is the weakest link in the chain. So getting a SSD will really boost Windows performance. But then again Windows 8 was flying on my Cousins new dell PC and its a regular HD.... Plus SSDs are quite cheap these days. I just recommend staying away from OCZ. I've had like 3 RMAs on my personal and my Cousins broke a few weeks before mine broke lol. But I have to admit the thing handles a lot more than a conventional HD could. I was loading up my RWA AK100 with music files (a 32 and 64 GB micro SD card) and it would completely bog down my PC.... This is due to Media Monkey converting all the files and then cutting and pasting them to the device. I couldn't even open up my internet browser lol. It would take about 10 to 15 minutes to just do that. But on a SSD I could load 2 cards at the same time and still be able to surf the web. So for intensive usage a SSD really pays off. Plus if you're OCD like me and very impatient all the better :p.

The Fujitsu UH900 does have a 64gb SSD; though if I remember it scores a 5.9 in the windows 7 experience index like most desktop HD's. I've had the computer since summer 2010, and its probably sporting a slower than normal ealy msata SSD -though in real life still much faster than a physical drive. So there aren't any issues with bogging down the system -Windows 7 just isn't really optimized for such a slow cpu in the same way Linux Mint is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back