The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #4,772 of 21,761
^ 'grats. Out of curiosity, since the Electra probably wont be done until around the end of spring (hopefully), what do you plan on doing with them in the mean time? Just storing them? Or do you have another 'stat amp lying around?

Speaking of amps, another head-fier has pointed me in the direction of this Japanese company called, curiously enough, Analog Squared Paper. It's basically a chap who makes this stuff out of a small studio in very small batches (like 3 units per month max). He seems to know what he's doing. Here's a little tube amp that has me intrigued, the TU-05B:

Would make a really cute little amp for my office. Also the designer makes a 300B preamp with an iPod dock:

Wondering if I could get it sans the dock, but with a headphone jack. That would put it alongside the Manley 300B which I'm also considering getting at some point.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #4,774 of 21,761
>:xf_eek: congrats on the purchase driver! care to take some pics of those sexy cans when they arrive? :)

@muppetface
Frist horizontal amp I've seen :0 tube on top of that

Same for the tube w/ the ipod 
eek.gif
 I've also never seen a tube with lights besides the bulbs

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #4,775 of 21,761
The HD800's made my jazz cd's sound phenomenal with the ZD! Classical piano recordings also sound exceptional on them. Unfortunately, they aren't so wonderful with rock music. Almost no bass to them. But, the HD700's more than make up for that. Sorry, no photos(I suck with cameras), but it's a sexy gloss black and graphite color--much nicer than the original silver color. w00t!

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #4,776 of 21,761
The HD800's made my jazz cd's sound phenomenal with the ZD! Classical piano recordings also sound exceptional on them. Unfortunately, they aren't so wonderful with rock music. Almost no bass to them. But, the HD700's more than make up for that. Sorry, no photos(I suck with cameras), but it's a sexy gloss black and graphite color--much nicer than the original silver color. w00t!

Not acceptable! :veryevil:

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #4,777 of 21,761
On a completely unrelated audio note are there any Doctor Who fans in the house? I'm scavenging the net for some figurines from Dr Who specifically the Daleks, Davros and the Dr himself. I'd prefer the Dr to be the iterations from 4 to 7 and not the latest few. As for the Daleks I'd prefer the imperial white and gold version or one with the original coloring from the 70's which was gray with black markings. I've combed eBay and Amazon but whats there is either ridiculously priced or looks like utter crap. Any helping hand pointing me to a respectable sell site or collector would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #4,778 of 21,761
The only doctor I ever really jived with was the 4th one, and preferably the episodes before K-9 came along.  That's not to say I hate the others, but it's hard for me to really consider any of them "The Doctor."  I'm probably pissing some people off right now.

(Sorry, I had some Dr. Who toys when I was, like, 5 and that's it.)

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #4,779 of 21,761
I was into the Doctor from 4 to 7 an after that I lost interest because the main character no longer jived with the other Doctors I cheered for. I sort of understand where you're coming from though driver 8. As for K9 he was just around as a turn on for the younger kids who watched the show with their older siblings. I never really thought much of K9 myself

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #4,780 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:

lol...My install isn't bug free either. There is a constant beeping at all times, and when I try enter back in from suspend and hibernate I get the loveliest, most colorful error screen. Some icon's (like the home and computer icon) become unable to be highlighted/clicked too.

admittedly, this is the first time I've used linux, which is why I chose one of the more plug n play distros. I'm definitely sold on Linux for regular computing, but will have to see if I can install this properly on my netbook. If not, I'll just drop down to Maya and add the backports for 14, which should yield a little higher performance than 14 itself anyways.

Seriously though, it would be a lot more interesting if error screens were this colorful in windows. 8 does seem to be a bit of an improvement in that regard 
wink.gif

Backporting could introduce a fair share of new bugs as well, use it with caution. Is there anything in particular you need or is it just to be bleeding edge? The best thing you could do is to pick a known-to-be-good, bigger distro that is also user-friendly and use the one that came out before the current one because most of the bugs will have been eliminated and cleaned out. Really, if stable is what you want, you would probably want to be one release behind - you'd have a much more stable experience yet having most of the goodies the new one will get. Any flavor of Ubuntu 12.04 is probably going to work well for you, just like Mint 13, Debian Squeeze and a plethora of other distros would. The older the software, the more stable it is, usually.

Oh right, when I experimented a lot with Linux a few years back, I really benefitted from using a minimal distro with mostly nothing on it.

When having a word document, music, spreadsheet and surfing the web, I could almost break the 100 MB line I wanted to break (I came down to 108 MB RAM usage IIRC) while still looking good enough with some conky eyecandy etc. This took of course time, patience and some magic linux wizardry. Also, it was very stable (probably thanks to how minimalistic I made it). You could try to install a minimal Ubuntu although there are many minimal options for you to play around with. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Just go from there and install all you need, and tweak it along the way. That'll greatly benefit your netbook. Also, be prepared that you may need an ethernet port as minimal CDs rarely comes with wi-fi drivers.

Really, it's not hard to do. Look up what software you want and need, apt-get install them, and aptitude/apt-get will take care of package dependancy and other stuff for you.

I'll try to see how good I can make it now through a virtual box. I'll keep you posted on what I did as well as provide a nice screenshot for you.

Just installed openbox (apparently it comes with lxde, you might want to try fluxbox with tint2 instead - could be a bit more lightweight), xorg (actually this is the one I first installed), abiword, midori, gedit (for a nice, functional, lightweight text editor that is graphical instead of command line), htop (this you will want to have), and guake for a great terminal emulator and last but not least lxdm if you wish to login graphically. You could scratch that and login via command line and just use startx to get to your desktop environment. With nothing started as you can see I use 65 MB RAM. With Abiword and Midori with a few tabs open, Head-fi for instance, it goes up to 139.

From here you just build on it.

This is a LOT better way to learn about linux than just installing a fully fledged distro. Also, this is a LOT easier than doing a linux from scratch and so on. This is sort of a middle ground between newb-friendly and quite advanced. Also, you get your system just the way you want it to be, and it's pretty darned lightweight even for a netbook with very limited hardware capabilities. When I had my 10" EEE I preferred this method a lot over the conventional ubuntu netbook editions and easy peasy linuxes and their derivatives that builds upon the somewhat RAM heavy Gnome environment.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

That is a great page that explains most of what you want, but it adds things you don't need, like a login manager (it isn't that hard to login textually and just start X server by typing startx).

Happy linuxing :)

BTW. This is how my linux looks now, LOL, a memory hog. But on my desktop RAM isn't exactly a rarity, so I haven't even cared about doing anything other than adding new DEs to try them out. Meaning, I have a lot of redundant stuff on it. I might just have to do a minimal install on it this weekend and start from scratch instead.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #4,781 of 21,761
Not wanting to wade through countless BS and ****-stroking about the HD800 on other threads and places, how does the treble compare to the Beyer T1 if I think the latter is a treble-knife dispenser of doom? All i know about the HD800 is the godly soundstage at a cheaper price, relative to other high-ends. Haven't had the lust for new gear since... last year I suppose, but somehow this still intrigues me.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #4,782 of 21,761
The treble energy is not too different, but it is far more refined. They are truly night and day.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #4,783 of 21,761
They (HD800s) aren't my cup of tea at all (I had a Colorware coupon and decided to get a set) but I'm handing them over to my electronics guru and I'm going to have them balance terminated, along with my T1s and TH900s, maybe that will stir some life into them.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #4,784 of 21,761
Quote:
The HD800's made my jazz cd's sound phenomenal with the ZD! Classical piano recordings also sound exceptional on them. Unfortunately, they aren't so wonderful with rock music. Almost no bass to them. 

The midbass on the HD700 is more plentiful, but keep listening to the HD800. You may find it outclasses the HD700 in almost every other department when it comes to bass: texture, extension, dynamics, subbass, etc.

Personally, I find it's one of the best headphones on the planet for [well-recorded] pop / electronica / rock. Second only to maybe my Jades. But that's just me.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #4,785 of 21,761
Yeah, my HD800's bass (off the ECBA, at least {and with a balanced Cardas, if that matters?}) is always pleasing after a bit of an adjustment period on my part.

@jgray: I've never heard the T1's but I generally consider the HD800's more generally bright than sibilant.  There are well known mods by some guy over there to help with that, though.  I just haven't tried them because I'm lazy, have other headphones, and am waiting for a commercial version that's supposedly coming out sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back