The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #99,796 of 100,552
Can you point us to more detail about this mod? TIA

You basically take some needle or 1mm flat screwdriver (or anything similar) and remove that stock white filter from Rosefinch.

Then you pick 4.5mm 350/400/450 filters like this (try the density that sounds better to you) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006137203461.html
(I think 5mm might be actually better and easier to install, but I couldn't find 5mm "cotton" meshes on Ali unfortunately, only metal ones)
You can also re-glue old stock filters to holder of new filters, in case you don't like the mod.

And with the same needle or screwdriver you then install the new mesh on the nozzle. They have traces of glue to they will hold, but 4.5mm filters are slightly tricky to position properly.

ps: that is how I did it. Hopefully it's the correct way and correct meshes, but if not - feel free to correct me.

I might actually had 450 on Rosefinch after all, it's all relative. Get 5.0mm one if you can, that's probably the size of original filter. 4.5mm filter works, but barely covers the nozzle, so gotta place it on the right spot.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #99,798 of 100,552
@ToneDeafMonk what a great way to start off the day while enjoying a cup of coffee. Almost spit out my coffee laughing at Cow ass and Monks impression of Britney.

What I really love about this R4 player (besides everything) is the possible outcome of two different sound signatures. Neutral and Analog. I wonder if somebody will upload a plug-in to enable the DSD analog signature for use with streaming from Spotify, Tidal, etc. If I understand right, the analog sound is only on DSD file playback at the moment(?).

HiBy R4, what a straight win.

Finger crossed for Hiby to implement that sound signature switching that they teased on Twitter before launch. The amp section is there, quite capable (ie does not make IEM sounds small-ish and congested like some micro DAPs). i guess the PCM circuit is objectively better than the DSD circuit, but I much prefer the sound on the DSD circuit side. More pleasing, and the stage feels deeper.

This one graphs quite nicely, meaning similar to the final A3000, so spacious and relaxed and clear sounding, but without the nasally vocals, buuut... then that 6 kHz spike smh

That 5kHz peak stood out like a sore thumb on the first listen, but after a day or so, either the IEM has changed mechanically or (likely) I am used to it, it does not stand out anymore, even when I retest the offending tracks on day one.

You need to tip roll carefully with this IEM since the nozzle is a bit longer than expected. If you want to try foam tips, this IEM is also a good choice. After turning up the volume a few notches to match volume, I found that I didn’t lose any treble detail, but the whole region is more even.

Edit: I use comply tips outdoor and velvet tips indoor

When I got the fit right, I hear a large stage, clear midrange, moderate amount of bass but good “quality”, highly resolving across the spectrum. I need to compare with some other DD IEM I have here but just from my subjective response to the IEM (ie I don’t want to stop listening), I think this one is one of the most technical DD I have heard so far. Maybe I should borrow a FD7 and Zen Pro to compare.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #99,799 of 100,552
Kbear Rosefinch got new colorways in ' Pale Purple ' & ' Aqua Green ' on Amazon.
It seems they also appeared in KBEAR store on Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006878219227.html
From the look of it, they made a refresh, with new cable options (type C and 3.5mm + 1.2m\2m) and new, previously unseen tips (at least they look different from stock Rosefinch tips and something like KB07 set).

Personally, I don't think that 22$ is a good price for these, as older version could be obtained from Ali for under 10$ on sale (and their accessories will be replaced anyway), but for 15$ it will be a good option.
On a second glance, their price is 17$ with 25% off coins discount at the moment (Ali App -> Coins ->Discount finder).

KBEAR-Rosefinch-10mm.jpg

ps: I really hope they hasn't pushed that box with "Mqua Green" typo into the final production :face_palm:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #99,800 of 100,552
Maybe, never heard it. Some of the magic with MagicOne is the coherent sound of 1 BA.

Pretty sure it's more up your alley than Bonneville 😜
That's true too.

I'm scared to post my review tbh. Some of the faithful will turn up with torches and pitchforks.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #99,801 of 100,552
Finger crossed for Hiby to implement that sound signature switching that they teased on Twitter before launch. The amp section is there, quite capable (ie does not make IEM sounds small-ish and congested like some micro DAPs). i guess the PCM circuit is objectively better than the DSD circuit, but I much prefer the sound on the DSD circuit side. More pleasing, and the stage feels deeper.

That 5kHz peak stood out like a sore thumb on the first listen, but after a day or so, either the IEM has changed mechanically or (likely) I am used to it, it does not stand out anymore, even when I retest the offending tracks on day one.

You need to tip roll carefully with this IEM since the nozzle is a bit longer than expected. If you want to try foam tips, this IEM is also a good choice. After turning up the volume a few notches to match volume, I found that I didn’t lose any treble detail, but the whole region is more even.

Edit: I use comply tips outdoor and velvet tips indoor

When I got the fit right, I hear a large stage, clear midrange, moderate amount of bass but good “quality”, highly resolving across the spectrum. I need to compare with some other DD IEM I have here but just from my subjective response to the IEM (ie I don’t want to stop listening), I think this one is one of the most technical DD I have heard so far. Maybe I should borrow a FD7 and Zen Pro to compare.

Dou you have a plug-in named "Sound Field" installed on the R4?

Menu->Plugins->Sound Field

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #99,802 of 100,552
Dou you have a plug-in named "Sound Field" installed on the R4?

Menu->Plugins->Sound Field
Yeah, I tested both sound field and the DR10X or something by Joe Bloggs. Those two plus a slight EQ in MSEB produced a quite nice result.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #99,803 of 100,552
Yeah, I tested both sound field and the DR10X or something by Joe Bloggs. Those two plus a slight EQ in MSEB produced a quite nice result.

I saw him give advice to a user who was dissatisfied with the sound stage of his M300. Joe suggested Sound Field settings between 1.0 and 2.0 to address that complaint. The user tried it and exulted in the positive result from the change. That's why I asked.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #99,804 of 100,552
Alright, little tip showdown… got 3 new ones in this week.

- Symbio W (New model)
IMG_7466.jpeg
These are foam / silicone hybrid. Very bright orange, they used to be a much darker silicone but I quite like them… the looks and the sound. Not for short nozzles, really good mids.

- Nostalgia Audio XWB
IMG_7467.jpeg
MusicTeck hooked me up with a pair of these super hard to find eartips, I am forever grateful but man I just cannot get a good fit on them and it makes me sad. The sound is great, one of the most neutral I have heard. Going to keep these until they work on something damnit.

- Azla Origin
IMG_7469.jpeg
Already did a small write up on these, but man they are fantastic. Probably my favorite ear tip now. Very grippy, long stem but pretty narrow (had to stretch a bit for the Sza). The bass on these… ho boy. I feel like these are a must either way, but especially for my fellow bass heads.

The Symbio W and Origin go into my all time favorites next to the Divinus Velvet and Eletech Baroque. Highly recommended.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #99,805 of 100,552
I saw him give advice to a user who was dissatisfied with the sound stage of his M300. Joe suggested Sound Field settings between 1.0 and 2.0 to address that complaint. The user tried it and exulted in the positive result from the change. That's why I asked.
Yes, that plug in expanded the stereo separation in a natural sounding way. I used Joe’s plugins to make the bass more slammy, and finally add a bit of lower midrange thickness to give the stage a bit more depth illusion. The end result sounds expensive 😂

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #99,806 of 100,552
Description of A(w)FUL Explorer by AFUL themselves

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 11.26.02 am.png

Graph
Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 11.27.37 am.png

I'm seeing the lower midrange dip and early upper midrange push from P8 :coffin:

AFAIK, the cyan line is the raw response of the drivers an the red line is the response after the crossover has been implemented. It's interesting how they deliberately bring down the 6kHz to control sibilance. Also interesting that they push 10kHz (aka Monarch II style) rather than 15kHz (aka 64 Audio style). Anyhow, anything above 8kHz on a graph is pretty much misleading anyway due to the nature of these couplers. I'm cautiously optimistic about this IEM. Anyhow, even if there is no sample, I'll need to cough up some doughs to get one because there is no way I'm missing any AFUL IEM.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #99,807 of 100,552
Sexy and small. How is the sound? What's the native profile?
Slightly Warm, analoguish. Hope it remains that way and no future updates mess up. Happy. With Apple music streaming. I don't use files. It also upsamples everythin to //
kHz not the usual 44 / 48kHz. And this via a "high quality algorithm" .
I have no issues with it but some might. (You have to ask @Joe Bloggs for technical explanations).

But unlike R4, no MSEB. It has dsp tweaks (that you need to download plugins etc. Joebloggs bass dynamics are v good there adding extra punch PRAT like.

But mseb I read is way better. Propah EQ like thingy.
So R4 that way better for just 50 dollars more and with 4.4 etc.

Do I get Tanchjim One? I think I need to try that too, in the same ballpark of smooth single dynamics.

I bought 4-5 the dsp version.. all taken away by friends and parents! Don't have one now. Music quality was pretty decent smooth but more importantly for the simplicity of its dsp connector and its bullet style.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #99,808 of 100,552
Just wanted to share that my MIAD01 has finally arrived after ordering from Taobao! I'm super excited to dive into these and see how they stack up.

I've put together an unboxing video and a few pictures to give you a closer look. Check it out below:

Can't wait to share my thoughts on it! If you have any questions or want to see anything specific, let me know.

IMG_20240426_095031.jpg

IMG_20240426_095050.jpg

IMG_20240426_095108.jpg

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #99,809 of 100,552
Another delivery arrived today, almost 3 weeks with the local mail and customs. The Letshuoer Cadenza4, hybrid IEM with 10mm Beryllium DD and 3 BAs Knowles and Sonion)

Refined and natural sounding, tasteful warmth. Not to bassy, or bright. Clear but smooth sound, and decent technicalities. Midrange is really nice, probably my faovorite Letshuoer. One of the most ergonomic shells, both in fitment and how small and nice the texture is.

I will be writing a full review for this one, but I can already see it as a good recommendation.

aghh it looks so good i'm eyeing on getting one... hopefully?

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #99,810 of 100,552
Do I get Tanchjim One? I think I need to try that too, in the same ballpark of smooth single dynamics.
Hate to say this as Tanchjim shill guy but be aware of dropping. I dropped tanchjim zero once and driver already misaligned, the same goes to my Tanchjim Ola Bass. I still think Zero might be better value than the One but it's yours to decide

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back