The discovery thread!
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #90,961 of 101,318
HOLY HELL!!! I'm flabbergasted! $20.00 for the EW200?! This is what $20.00 will buy you nowadays?! I remember when I paid about $20 with tax for a one dimensional sounding bass heavy, mid recessed Skullcandy Ink'd IEM. Now I plugged the Simgot EW200 into my Sony NW-WM1A with my Fiio amp for the first time since I got them and started listening to Live - Mental Jewelry, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. These are playing on the same sonic playing field as my Hifiman RE800, Wu Zetian, Shangri-la's, and the IE600 in ecvery aspect EXCEPT bass weight. Snap and bass resolution/speed? Absolutely. Yes. Stage is wide, circular, and enveloping. I do not exaggerate. What splendid synergy with the Sony DAP!

So now I'm super curious and interested in how the EW200 compares with the EA1000 or the EM6L or the EA500?! Or that Oriveti OD200?
I had my chance to get EW200 and E6ML on Amazon Canada "Cyber Monday" for almost half a price. I just opted for E6ML, as a hybrid, - my first ever (and likely last) Simgot.
My first experience almost scared me (I even messaged a trusted HeadFier in-person to share this experience in disbelief).
A lesson learned - while "burining" may be controversial to many- at least environmental equilibration is certainly a must.
I started to listen right away after receiving EM6L that travelled in chilly Canadian winter for at least 6 hours.
Condensation likely was a culprit of perceiving a lot of noise/sibilance for the first couple of hours.
Then EM6L setlled to sound well-tempered with a good tight bass (and I am very sensitive to "loose/lingering" DDs - see below) and resolving but well-tempered highs. E6ML definitely outcompete ZS10 pro X, Rhapsody, etc, but hardly ZAT to my ears.
ZAT (despite being a bit bass-heavy to me, so I use ZAT at DDUU with the mesh removed) feel offering more in staging, dynamics and overall. I just hope that KZ will make a non-bass (Harman) version of ZAT, similar to Castors.

Another Phoenix (Celest) is more magical for me. On a first listen - the bass felt timid, the pinna gain is low - and "what is the point" was a very valid question.
Then after 15-30 min of brain burning/settling/adjusting, it seems to be forced in a more resolving mode, and I really enjoyed Phoenixcall tuning and subtle resolution (not that low when brain compensates and agile SPD drivers are there)- really great experience there.

On an opposite note - CCA Rhapsody (at least my copy) was definitevely not my IEM, and I tried close to 10 hours asnd did not get much out of it.
The bass decay of Rhapsody felt quite drony and too lingering for me. Then, 4 BAs are helpful for nice smooth DD-BA integration (while still being some V variant), but definitely not the treble extemsion.
Remember some ZS10 pro X "wrong" pictures with 4 all similar BAs - it seems to make into Rhapsody.
So I totally did not get what "enthusiastic" reviewers liked about Rhapsody and I am not sure how much heard mentality is in play for their YT revelations (I do not watch them)....
I got my earlier order bias-free with my own funds and open expectations.
Violins did not work with Rhapsody to my ears, then I also tried "Rhapsody in Blue" - not great clarinet rendering as well (
So to me, Castors (per price) and ZAT (overall) are way superior, and Pianist is really special - love it wirh many classic recordings :)

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #90,962 of 101,318
Tanchjim made a post earlier, reminiscing about five years ago when they provided 'the answer' with Oxygen and they suggest that the 'answer will be more meaningful' teasing a new IEM called 'Origin' at the end of the video.
https://twitter.com/TANCHJIM_CN/status/1733638249778933871

The Origin was shown during the Potafes event in Japan yesterday, featuring tuning nozzles and positioning itself at the Prism level in terms of pricing if I understood correctly.

GA41hFOaAAAc7rY

Curious to see more details about it!

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #90,963 of 101,318
I still need to do more extensive A/Bing but in short, the FC6 has a better stage and spatial imaging.
The RU7 has an analogue-like sound [as does the FC6], but the RU7 is slightly "blunted" for lack of a better word and I feel this softens the layering and imaging.
Also, FC6 has a slightly warmer presentation. I do wish it had a 4.4 output as well.
As referenced in my signature, I struggle with describing what I am hearing and these are very early impressions, so you know...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you please verify whether the FC6 will digitize Mic audio on a CTIA-spec headset (or earphone) TRRS cable, and send it upstream via USB, to your PC or phone?
It's listed in the specifications on the HiBy website.
This would make the FC6 very useful when listening to music at work, with occasional use for teleconferences. (I have two different cables for my headphones at work - one with a mic, and one without. The mic cable is hooked to the headphone/mic jack on the PC, but I'd like to use an external DAC that can work with a Mic.)
Thanks.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #90,964 of 101,318
Can you please verify whether the FC6 will digitize Mic audio on a CTIA-spec headset (or earphone) TRRS cable, and send it upstream via USB, to your PC or phone?
It's listed in the specifications on the HiBy website.
This would make the FC6 very useful when listening to music at work, with occasional use for teleconferences. (I have two different cables for my headphones at work - one with a mic, and one without. The mic cable is hooked to the headphone/mic jack on the PC, but I'd like to use an external DAC that can work with a Mic.)
Thanks.
I would have never even thought to test that, but since you requested it I tried making a phone call using one of my wife's gaming headsets.
It has a TRRS cable that uses an adapter to split into separate mic and headphone outputs.
I removed the splitter and ran the TRRS connection into the FC6.
The person on the other end could hear me loud and clear.
So, I believe that means it does indeed work.
Very cool!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #90,965 of 101,318
Spot on! Foam in red nozzle fixed the Conch for me.
It got so much praise for the tunable nozzles, but the blue and black are so sibilant they're completely useless. TRN should've skipped the nozzles and they could have cut the prize even more.
Such a great driver with somewhat lost potential. With foam mod it's very classy iem

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #90,966 of 101,318
My Hiby FC6 arrived yesterday.
Really enjoying it with the Geek Wold GK200 so far.
Very much a natural and organic listening experience.
Love R2R DACs!!!

Also, my Hi-Fri Audio Barcelona (10 BA set) is completed and en route. TBH, I am completely unsure what to expect from this IEM but will share my thoughts ASAP.
2023 has been a banner year for music lovers!
Good sir, do share any first impressions and or thoughts regarding GK200? It would be very much appreciated. Please & thank you 😊!

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #90,967 of 101,318
It seems 2023 was the year of the plastic child headphone stand?
Screen Shot 2023-12-10 at 1.29.13 PM.png

$289.90
https://penonaudio.com/OpenAudio-OA112

OpenAudio OA112 1 Dynamic Driver + 2 Balanced Armature Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Audiophile IEM
Description

Model: OA112DE
Driver: 1DD+2BA
1 x PU super soft suspension dynamic
2 x custom balanced armature
Pure handmade quicksand process
Skin-friendly resin material
Sensitivity: 110dB SPL(@1mW)
Impedance: 20Ω(@1kHz)
Frequency response: 10-20kHz
Distortion: ≤0.5%(@1kHz)
Connectro:2pin 0.78mm
Cable: 4 cores OCC single crystal copper detachable cable

OA112 GRAPH.png

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #90,969 of 101,318
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #90,970 of 101,318
ah ok that's good to know. i have a conch on the way and I was getting worried that the treble would be too harsh for my ears.
I'm quite treble sensitive though, and the red nozzle is pretty ok, so you might not have a problem. The foam made them a little bit warmer, which was what I was looking for with the mod. The sound is really good for a budget set.

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #90,971 of 101,318

$289.90
https://penonaudio.com/OpenAudio-OA112

OpenAudio OA112 1 Dynamic Driver + 2 Balanced Armature Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Audiophile IEM
Description

Model: OA112DE
Driver: 1DD+2BA
1 x PU super soft suspension dynamic
2 x custom balanced armature
Pure handmade quicksand process
Skin-friendly resin material
Sensitivity: 110dB SPL(@1mW)
Impedance: 20Ω(@1kHz)
Frequency response: 10-20kHz
Distortion: ≤0.5%(@1kHz)
Connectro:2pin 0.78mm
Cable: 4 cores OCC single crystal copper detachable cable

OA112 GRAPH.png
That peak looks like it's giving me the middle finger, must know I am treble sensitive LOL

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #90,972 of 101,318

Capture.JPG

Watch out.

FBI agents are watching the CHIFI addicts who are buying underaged Waifu packaging. Don't let the Moon drop on you!!

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #90,973 of 101,318
Open Audio is one of those brands no one really talks about but they seem to get mostly middling reviews.

I remember their super bassy Mercury model was really expensive @ $629 and was not very well received.

Crinacle said listening to music on the Mercury was like squinting through a keyhole which is probably a reference to how pushed back the midrange is on this set.

They also have a $90 purple shell 1DD + BA IEM, I forgot the name.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #90,974 of 101,318

Users who are viewing this thread

Back