The DT880 Appreciation Thread
Dec 14, 2005 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 146

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
I have been using the DT880 religiously now for several months. Man, this thing sounds great... I like it more than any other headphone I've listened to within the triple-digit price range. It offers a balanced presentation with plenty of detail, great instrument separation and soundstage, and tight musical bass with good extension. After listening to the DT880 so much, most other audio equipment seems to have grainy treble. On top of everything else, it manages to be dynamic and involving. I think it is a great all-arounder headphone, and I am satisfied with its performance on all of the different music I listen to. I am lucky to have the version with the straight cord, which I bought new in August. Go go Beyerdynamic
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 146
I totally authorize and support this thread. DT 880 FTW.

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 146
I appreciate Beyer DT880.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's my favourite headphones now, after many changes. A great all-arounder, with all genres of music, with balance, clarity and musicality.
It sounds "good" also plugged in an integrated amp, but needs a refined dedicated amp to give the best (and it's a lot).

Happy music!
bye
Andrea

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 146
My DT880 is coming soon, so I hope that I will end up leaving another comment in this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 146
It seems like this thread has been done several times before, but ya, I like 'em a lot. I've always thought they were a fantastic value at their price point (which was $225 way back when I bought them). They're very neutral, almost to a fault (if that makes any sense). They don't seem to impose any of their own coloration, which means that they mate extremely well with all kinds of upstream components (sources, amps, cables). The only downside is that they sometimes lack on the "excitement" factor (i.e., the deep deep bass of the DT770 or the sparkle in the highs of the DT990), but they get my vote as the best "bang for the buck" in the general price range of $200-$250, and that includes the HF-1 among other competitors.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 146
Mine is coming in a week or so, cant wait.
I am very impressed by the compliments that this Phones gets, really makes me wanna listen to here allready
eggosmile.gif

Anyway I am concerned about the amp, cuse I really wanna see what this baby can do when connected to a decent Amplifier.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
It seems like this thread has been done several times before, but ya, I like 'em a lot.

I did consider that, and a search turned up no results, so I figured I'd start one
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
I did consider that, and a search turned up no results, so I figured I'd start one
smily_headphones1.gif

The truth is, I searched too and couldn't find anything either! I should have said as much in my post. I really wasn't meaning to be critical in any way, it just seems like well covered ground. Although it's also quite nice to see some headphones that have been around for a while getting some recognition. So often at Head-Fi, we tend to move on to the "latest and greatest" and forget about the HD600, CD3000 and DT880's. Same is true with regard to amps that have survived the test of time and are still rock solid performers in the sea of new applicants (Sugden Headmaster, David Berning micro ZOTL, the Melos amps, etc).

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G.
Thanks for the rejoice. Seems like a better buy, as well as being less problematic (amplification wise) than the Senn 600/650's... Am I right about that?

Everything I've heard seems to say that they're harder to drive than the 600/650's.

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Everything I've heard seems to say that they're harder to drive than the 600/650's.

They are!! but if you got a good amp, that shouldn't be a problem. My Slam makes them sing to their potential, and I must say, they are some awesome sounding gems!
880smile.png

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 146
If it makes sense to put a sonic value on a pair of cans, I'd value my DT880s at $450+. In my opinion they are competitive with any headphone on the market. They do *everything* at least well, and some things (soundstage, detail, dynamics, low bass extension) are world-class in my opinion.

I have had several experiences when listening where the headphones and gear vanished, and when I shut my eyes I was there, listening live. You just can't put a price on something like that.

Needless to say, I'm very appreciative
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

They're very neutral, almost to a fault (if that makes any sense).

Not to me, but some people prefer a more colored headphone. I find no fault in their neutrality, in fact this is what separates them from a merely *good* headphone in my mind and puts them into the realm of greatness. They sound to me like a different headphone with every recording... after a month and a half of regular listening, I'm still learning and finding new things they have to offer.

Quote:

they sometimes lack on the "excitement" factor

Two words -- thank god.

I don't really agree though that they're lacking in excitement. The slight treble boost and focus on detail really makes them a lively headphone, in my opinion. It's possible to both listen analytically and get totally caught up in the music at the same time, happens regularly to me with the DT880.

P.S. I don't find the DT880 all that hard to drive, but clearly I'm in a minority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back