The DT880 Appreciation Thread
Dec 15, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #31 of 146
The DT880's do a pretty good job at being a compliment to the HD650. I find them to be quite the opposite. I find the 880, and 5K to be similar in the way they approach their dynamics.

Dec 15, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #32 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
The DT880's do a pretty good job at being a compliment to the HD650. I find them to be quite the opposite. I find the 880, and 5K to be similar in the way they approach their dynamics.

Different ideas... I find the DT880 to be an HD650 with "something more" that appeal me more (not better, just "better for me"). Both are complete, dynamic, correct, powerful and/or delicate "on demand". If they were images, for me the DT880 is like an HD650 with more "luminosity" and with warmer colours. Just imho, of course.

I've found the SA5000 to be sharper, quicker and more powerful in dynamics than DT880. The dynamics of the SA5000 remember me of an electrostatic headphones, more than in any other dynamic can.

bye
Andrea

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #34 of 146
ever take the time to wonder how many new purchases these "appreciation" threads generate? We're just not aware of most of them. The K701s (obviously), the recent craziness with the KSCs, the HD580s... and now because of this thread more people previously sitting the fence are being given a good shove. And there's always people on the fence at any given time. This entire forum is proof that viral marketing can sustain an entire industry. lol.

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #35 of 146
well if anyone from the UK is sitting on the fence but dont want to drop the exoribatnt prices that are here i the UK the 880 can be had for £170 from here DT880's or if you cant afford that much the 990 Pro can be had for £96 here DT990's. When i was looking for mine the 880's were like £220 pretty much everywhere but bought them off the site above for much less. The 990's also have a big saving over many other places selling in the UK.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #36 of 146
I like my 880's very much, and they are good all-rounders. They are indeed the perfect headphone for an airy/lively listen

Having said that, I think that there is always room for other headphones to complement the 880's.

580/600/650 are great for a soothing listen with extra oomph in the bass, and a soft supple treble.

I think the new K701's might be a good middle ground if you can't decide between the Senns and Beyers. When I finally get mine, I might sell my Senns or Beyers depending on which one the AKG makes more redundant.

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #38 of 146
Hmm, how does DT 880 compare to DT 531, DT 770 and DT 990 ?
As I could imagine DT 880 is a bit more "flat" "colorless" "odourless" "tastless" "neutral" on the bright side.
I only remember how DT 531 and DT 770 sound.

So quickly said, DT 880 is more accurate than those three ?

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #39 of 146
Is the DT860 comparable to the 880? I like it's folding design, and I like headphones that are easier to drive.

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #40 of 146
Awwww, another Beyer group hug.

Not that I am anxious to hug you bunch of headphone geeks, but there is something just plain friendly about the Beyer cans, isn't there? The DT880 are the embodiment of friendly headphones for me. On my head they have a wonderfully soft touch. This is a bit of a deception, because they are some serious power sinks. Hit them with the appropriately controlled fusion arc and they connect your mind straight to the music. No muss, no fuss, no glittery star-trek transporter, instant musical gratification!

I look back through my comments about these headphones, and the term "musical" pegs the redundancy meter. Unfortunately I have not thought of a better descriptive. They are a well tuned musical instrument. I very strongly suspect that that is just how they were developed, by tuning out the undesirable traits and leaving in the favorable ones. That might explain some of the hunger for voltage.

At any rate, I am still listening to mine, with a big smile on my face, an occasional chill down my spine, and maybe even a tear in my eye, although I will deny that last one if asked.

gerG

edit: I had to throw in a pic of the original DT880 recable, from 02-08-2003

newcable%20halfsize.jpg

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #41 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
fewtch I know you were a long time HD580 user befor this, care to compare the DT880 to it? I know the 580 is supposed to be very neutral and detailed as well. Is the DT880 just more forward sounding with better treble extension?

The DT880 is in a different league than HD580 IMO, but I will say no more... don't want to make this an HD580 bashing session. Suffice it to say that I find DT880 a whole lot better in every respect.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #42 of 146
gerG, I noticed that the headband cable is the stock...meaning that only the left driver has a new cable. Do you note any inbalance between drivers?. What cable is that?. Just curious...
880smile.png

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #43 of 146
Hi fjf.

Yeah, it killed me, but I left the stock crossover cable in place when I did the swap. I have always intended to re-do them with a dual entry cable, but I still haven't found the right wire for my needs. Actually I have, but Jan won't tell me where to get the stuff.

Anyway that is a 12 ft length of purple Canare starquad. I would not do that again for fear of crosstalk. There is a slight imbalance, but I don't think it has anything to do with the cable. One side has slightly more bass and slightly less treble. Not audible to me, but I can see it in the test data.

gerG

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #44 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiChael.
Hmm, how does DT 880 compare to DT 531, DT 770 and DT 990 ?
As I could imagine DT 880 is a bit more "flat" "colorless" "odourless" "tastless" "neutral" on the bright side.
I only remember how DT 531 and DT 770 sound.

So quickly said, DT 880 is more accurate than those three ?

Hi, I've had all three of these. Out of those, I'd say the DT880 colours the sound the least - it sounds airy, super smooth, detailed and dynamic. Crystal clear is a word I'd use - similar to the electrostats I've heard. The bass is a down point and it requires an amp with "big" bass to get the best from it.

Compared with the others, the DT990 sounds nearly as good in most respects, but warmer sounding, with more body and bass. The DT770 is very bassy but not a match for either.

In some ways the DT880 sounds most similar to the DT531. The latter is not quite as refined, but match it up with the right amp and its surprising how good they are to me (still after all this time)... they sound similar to the DT880 with almost as much detail, and a bit more punch to the sound, and a little more aggressive / forward.

They are all good, but I'm least fond of the DT770.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #45 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Hi, I've had all three of these. Out of those, I'd say the DT880 colours the sound the least - it sounds airy, super smooth, detailed and dynamic. Crystal clear is a word I'd use - similar to the electrostats I've heard. The bass is a down point and it requires an amp with "big" bass to get the best from it.

Disagree... I think the DT880 has almost too much bass, and an amp with "big" bass is simply going to sound, well... big in the bass. Perfectly fine for those looking for more thump, but unnecessary for a natural sounding bass e.g. with acoustic instruments.

Bottom end extension does take some getting used to IMO. Most other headphones roll off the lowest registers and make up for it with a midbass hump... DT880 does neither. Once you're used to the lack of excess midbass, it's hard to listen to other headphones sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back