The Extreme has arrived!
Dec 16, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at those tubes. almost as sexy as 300Bs. i can't have something like that until my kid leaves the house - like in 15 years. ARGH!

Why cant you? He has the heat fully under control. Even with the big tubes this amp doesnt run much warmer than a normal SLAM PPX3. That is one of the several little things this amp has going for it .... besides the unbelieveable price to performance ratio.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 428
Here is the Extreme equipped with the brutish 6528 output tubes. This tube is surprisingly refined along with having great clarity and bass control. This tube can dissipate up to 30 watts per triode section; 60 watts total per tube. The normal 6as7/5998/6080 dissipates 13 watts per triode section; 26 watts per tube.

Warning: this tube is not suitable for the stock Extreme or Extreme Platinum.

HPIM0147.jpg

HPIM0146.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

HPIM0139.jpg

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5-1 since tressel arrived .... your eyes are probably going to keep hurting.
wink.gif

Sooo bad.

GO BUCKEYES!
One more national title please.

Aren't you having one grand ole time.
biggrin.gif

Keep up the posts until reenforcements arrive.

Enjoy

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 428
What a wonderful world..

how do you rate this amp among all the singlepower's?

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 428
Congratulations!
The Singlepower Extreme looks great.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #23 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Earl! I am definitely looking forward to hearing some impressions once you've spent some time with it. I would be particularly interested in hearing how it compares to the MPX3 SLAM
wink.gif

Anyway, enjoy!

Thanks .... and I am sure MANY people are going to be wanting various SP comparisons.

There are also several small things that make this amp very easy to enjoy.....

1) The Extreme is surprisingly compact and fits easily on most shelves. 2) Despite the large power tubes the amp doesnt heat up; the temperature of the chassis is on par with a SLAM using 5687 tubes. 3) The low gain of the 6080/ 6as7 output tubes means the amp has more range on the volume pot. My source is well over the standard 2 volt output and I can turn the volume up to 9:30-10:00 with the gain tubes .... like the 6cg7/6gu7/7af7 etc... that have lower gain. 4) The low gain of the 6080/6as7 ALSO means that you can use a much wider range of gain tubes with out having to much gain.

So .... this means the tubes like the 6414 series, 2c51 series, 6su7gty can be used in the amp without any problems. The 6su7gty with a gain of 70 must be used ONLY with the low gain 6080/ 6as7 .... the 5998/7236 will have to much gain for this tube. But that is about the only exception I have noted so far. The flexibility of the Extreme to use a wide range of gain tubes is the most extensive of any SP amp to date.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 428
This is getting to be a tester for tube sound and interaction.

I forgot abou those power tubes you are using in the last image. I always wanted a use for those carbon plate beauties. They should last just about forever. There were some fantastic tubes made. I just hope enough word gets out so people quite dumping them. I used to go to the older repair shops in Tucson but they finally played out. One older TV store told me that 2 years before I got there they dumped all their tubes another one said that in they had taken thousands of tubes to the dump. Many of the TV tubes will not have much use but there were many good tubes that are possibly still fine but under tons of garbage.

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #25 of 428
Congrats!!!! I think you're the first to get one. I hope that means mine will be here soon as well. I ordered it on the 4th or 5th, right after the FL meet. Mikhail said it was "in production" last week so......soon.

Let us know what tubes you finally decide on for your Senns. I plan on many happy hours with mine, plus the K340s and K1000s.

BTW, thanks for the note in your sig. I can only assume it has to do with my great taste in amps.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let us know what tubes you finally decide on for your Senns. I plan on many happy hours with mine, plus the K340s and K1000s.

BTW, thanks for the note in your sig. I can only assume it has to do with my great taste in amps.
biggrin.gif

Well I think I can already say I especially like the 5998 as an output tube for my 580/600's.

Moving on .... I spent the last 30 minutes or so listening to modded grado sr-80's using the 5998's plus a tall bottle 7n7. This combo works very well. I swear I even hear some soundstage with the 80's. This amp will undoubtedly drive grados more than fine.

A woman that has
k1000smile.gif
340smile.gif
600smile.gif
and likes tube amps
blink.gif
.... how could I possibly justify keeping you off the list?
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #27 of 428
this may be better asked in another thread, but can you STILL use the 6sn7/6bx7/6bl7 in the output position without an adapter?

yea, dont make me want one more and say yes.

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #28 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this may be better asked in another thread, but can you STILL use the 6sn7/6bx7/6bl7 in the output position without an adapter?

yea, dont make me want one more and say yes.

No .... not in this amp. The 6080/6as7 output tubes run at signifigantly lower voltage.

Feel better now?
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #29 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp looks even better in person ....

HPIM0126.jpg

HPIM0123.jpg

HPIM0122.jpg

I am heading back downstairs to listen .... more comments later.
600smile.gif

What's with those walls? Do you house your equipment in a prison cell?

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #30 of 428
Congrats Earl!

Thanks for the impressions and pics. The amp looks cool. I really wish I could hear it too. You must be having great fun. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back