The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #5,446 of 6,342
It's been a while since writing that review - December 2016. I don't recall ever characterizing its as "bright". Again, going from memory - I would perhaps characterize the DAC3 / GS-X combo as somewhat analytical. I think that's why I found the NOS Holo Spring to be a preferential pairing with the GS-X.

I believe Benchmark still offers a 30-day trial of their DAC. If you're really curious - try one for yourself.

Yes, that's maybe what I read a while ago. Nevertheless, the DAC2 seemed to polarise opinions a bit, but the DAC3 gets very good reviews!

I am thinking of PS Audio's Directstream Junior DAC. It differs from most DACs inasmuch as it converts everything to DSD.

Does have anyone experience using the Directstream Junior with the GSX-Mk2?

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #5,447 of 6,342
I did mention the sabre 9028PRO implementation in the iBasso DX200. That is very well done and sounds excellent. Quite different to the 9018 treble in the Vega.

Chord Dave gets rave reviews almost universally, but the price is eye-watering. Makes my Pavane look inexpensive.

Have completed payment for my GS-X Mk2. Really looking forward to hearing this paired with the Pavane. I'm thinking it is going to be sublime.

That's the differences in the design of the 9018 vs. 9028 chipsets. The latter now takes care of the issues from poorer DAC designs within the chip itself.

Congrats on the GS-X Mk2! You will love it!

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #5,448 of 6,342
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #5,449 of 6,342
I have had this exact setup at one point in time. When the new Benchmark DAC3 was first released I took them up on their 30-day trial period. It was a VERY good DAC and even had a pretty good amplifier section too (DAC3 HGC model). However, I felt the DAC3 HGC amplifier section was bested by the performance of the Headamp GS-X mk2/ (Yes, I was using Audeze LCD-3 phones)
As good as the DAC3 was sonically, I found its user interface somewhat quirky. You can read my full review here
I found that I preferred the sound of the non-oversampling Holo Spring to the DAC3. I can't say that the DAC3 did anything poorly, I found that I had a clear personal preference for the NOS / R2R sound. (My review of the spring here)
Cool cant wait to read this.

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #5,452 of 6,342
hi all

i've always lusted over the GSX-MKii.

my gear at present comprises of my trusty Senn HD650 with balanced cables and an LCD-2 (which the earcups are falling off...). Pairing these with the Schiit Mjolnir. However, i keep feeling the Mjolnir doesnt do much for me musicality wise..
considering the WA22 [but the local headphone shop which distributes woo audio stuff says its being discontinued (?)] and the GSX-MKii.

is the GSX-MKii still a popular amp? it has been around for quite a while now hasn't it?
any ideas if it is due for a refresh/update?

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #5,453 of 6,342
Pardon me, I do not own a GSX MKII and as you I have always lusted for one.
However from years of reading I understood that GSX is very honest in its presentation, basically "wire with gain", you are listening to your source, not to your amp.

So "musicality wise" GSX might not do much in this direction.

However I can attest that WA22 doesn't provide enough power for planar magnetics, I tried it with LCD-4 and I didn't have enough volume and dynamics, it was better with LCD-2 but still not the best combo IMO, even much more cheaper Matrix HPA-3B sounded leagues better with planars.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #5,454 of 6,342
hi all

i've always lusted over the GSX-MKii.

my gear at present comprises of my trusty Senn HD650 with balanced cables and an LCD-2 (which the earcups are falling off...). Pairing these with the Schiit Mjolnir. However, i keep feeling the Mjolnir doesnt do much for me musicality wise..
considering the WA22 [but the local headphone shop which distributes woo audio stuff says its being discontinued (?)] and the GSX-MKii.

is the GSX-MKii still a popular amp? it has been around for quite a while now hasn't it?
any ideas if it is due for a refresh/update?
I own the GS-XMk2 and I'm waiting for the 6XX from Massdrop to arrive sometime in late March- early April. I also have the Sennheiser XLR cable for them. I've never heard the 6XX but I can't wait, I'll keep you posted on my impressions.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #5,456 of 6,342
Has any one tested how the matrix x-sabre or matrix x-sabre pro work with the headamp?

I have not used the matrix x-sabre with the GSX-Mk2 as I am still using my R2R DAC. But my feeling is that the headamp is quite sensitive to DACs leaning towards the bright side. I am thinking of replacing my R2R DAC with another one and I'd be interested to hear what combination of DACs sound good with the GSX-Mk2.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #5,457 of 6,342
I'd be interested to hear what combination of DACs sound good with the GSX-Mk2.
I've been very impressed with the Holo Spring DAC. It's an R2R design and I feel it has a very natural presentation.
The only downside with the Spring is that you need to invest in a Singxer SU-1 so that you can feed the DAC's I2S input. The Holo Spring has a great R2R DAC section, but I feel that the USB implementation should be avoided.

I also spent a little bit of time with a Sabre 9028 based Benchmark DAC3. I was very impressed with its performance. ...but in the end, my personal preferences was for the non-oversampling R2R Holo Spring.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #5,458 of 6,342
I have not used the matrix x-sabre with the GSX-Mk2 as I am still using my R2R DAC. But my feeling is that the headamp is quite sensitive to DACs leaning towards the bright side. I am thinking of replacing my R2R DAC with another one and I'd be interested to hear what combination of DACs sound good with the GSX-Mk2.

Have you a DAC in mind yet? I know the Aqua La Scala, my buddy had it, and moved to an Audio Note DAC 5 (used). I also had the DAC 5, but would suggest looking at the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II. It is the best R-2R I have heard so far, very smooth but also big dynamics and great body to the notes, that classic tube midrange of DHT (tube line stage) and huge soundstage. It uses an interesting 16 chip array of the well respected AD1865-NK chips in differential mode.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #5,459 of 6,342
I've been very impressed with the Holo Spring DAC. It's an R2R design and I feel it has a very natural presentation.
The only downside with the Spring is that you need to invest in a Singxer SU-1 so that you can feed the DAC's I2S input. The Holo Spring has a great R2R DAC section, but I feel that the USB implementation should be avoided.

I also spent a little bit of time with a Sabre 9028 based Benchmark DAC3. I was very impressed with its performance. ...but in the end, my personal preferences was for the non-oversampling R2R Holo Spring.

Thank for the tip! I closely followed the reviews for the Holo Spring DAC. Looks like a real good piece of equipment. Also good to know that the USB output is not top notch, but as you say, since there are ways around it, the Holo is a good alternative! With respect to the Benchmark DAC 3, the previous model was said to be 'over analytical' and a bit thin sounding. Obviously, they overcame that weakness of the DAC 2.

But as you, my heart lies in the R2R technology. One might call it old-fashioned, but the newer R2R designs are not!

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #5,460 of 6,342
Have you a DAC in mind yet? I know the Aqua La Scala, my buddy had it, and moved to an Audio Note DAC 5 (used). I also had the DAC 5, but would suggest looking at the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II. It is the best R-2R I have heard so far, very smooth but also big dynamics and great body to the notes, that classic tube midrange of DHT (tube line stage) and huge soundstage. It uses an interesting 16 chip array of the well respected AD1865-NK chips in differential mode.

I have many DACs in mind! I find it truly difficult to choose one, as there are so many available! So far, I my choices come down to three options: the Holo Spring R2R DAC, PS Audio's DirectStream Junior, and the new Jade from Metrum Acoustics.

Never heard of the Aries Cerat Kassandra. It does look interesting, particularly the weight: 60 kg :)!!! Also looks like a very pricey piece of equipment, although I couldn't find any prices mentioned. The upper limit I am willing to pay is around 4 K Euros/Dollars.

Do tell us more how the Aries sounds in combination with the GSX Mk2! I am very curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back