The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #5,881 of 22,483
Jude talks about it a little here at 24:38. Dunno if that's what you're after

Thanks for that.
That helps me a fair amount. Nothing I've read really got that close in terms of explaining what was changed. For $1,500 I am still somewhat convincing my brain, but I know I won't be able to live without it when my name is called...

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #5,882 of 22,483
I have felt they needed like 150++ hours burn-in to let loose the fast transients , air , deep soundstage and the famous visceral sound (dynamic low bass breath effect) that has become the signature stamp for the Abyss during the years.

Mine have been on 12 hour daily burn in cycles. They are now just over the 300 hour mark and what a difference some significant time has made to the sound! The bass is much deeper and better defined, the treble has improved and the sibilance on all vocals has pretty much disappeared except for some tracks that exhibit natural sibilance. The soundstage has widened and the depth has increased nicely.

I was searching if there is any consensus on burn-in times for the Abyss Phi. Looks like somewhere between 150-300 hrs. One thing I was curious about isquirrel is why only a 12 hour daily cycle vs plugging in 24x7 for a week or two?

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #5,883 of 22,483
I was searching if there is any consensus on burn-in times for the Abyss Phi. Looks like somewhere between 150-300 hrs. One thing I was curious about isquirrel is why only a 12 hour daily cycle vs plugging in 24x7 for a week or two?
Because I am running valves.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #5,884 of 22,483
For $1,500 I am still somewhat convincing my brain, but I know I won't be able to live without it when my name is called...

I don't think $1500 is unreasonable considering you are pretty much getting a new headphone - they don't replace the cable or the headband (which IMO is a fraction of the overall cost), but they do replace the main part of the headphone where all the expensive tech is for a third of the price of the new headphones.

Only reason I haven't done it yet is because I promised myself never to spend big $ on audio gear I haven't heard. Especially when I am trading in something that I already love - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Though I've thought about pulling the trigger a number of times... Now that I've heard someone say that they preferred the Diana to the Phi, and hearing that the technology that goes into the Phi was the tech developed for the Diana, I'm going to wait and see how much I like Diana first I think. Would be kinda nice if I could be happy to make the switch and all my desktop gear became obsolete. I'm fairly doubtful that's how it'll pan out, but I have been surprised by gear a number of times before.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #5,885 of 22,483
I don't think $1500 is unreasonable considering you are pretty much getting a new headphone - they don't replace the cable or the headband (which IMO is a fraction of the overall cost), but they do replace the main part of the headphone where all the expensive tech is for a third of the price of the new headphones.

Only reason I haven't done it yet is because I promised myself never to spend big $ on audio gear I haven't heard. Especially when I am trading in something that I already love - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Though I've thought about pulling the trigger a number of times... Now that I've heard someone say that they preferred the Diana to the Phi, and hearing that the technology that goes into the Phi was the tech developed for the Diana, I'm going to wait and see how much I like Diana first I think. Would be kinda nice if I could be happy to make the switch and all my desktop gear became obsolete. I'm fairly doubtful that's how it'll pan out, but I have been surprised by gear a number of times before.

You'll have to let me know if you try one.

It's between a Phi upgrade and Diana in black for me right now.
I have the funds, just no idea which. My guess is I will go for the Phi though seeing as though it's a direct upgrade to my favorite headphone ever.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #5,887 of 22,483
Hi guys I have a LCD-4. Was considering adding Abyss 1266 phi's to the inventory. I havent come across a reasonable review of the two. Add to the mix Susvarna has rave reviews as well. I really enjoy the soundstage, visceral presentation of the LCD-4 with the great texture in mids and bass. Am wondering whether someone is able to say what the differences are between the 3 headphones or is able to point to a review? Many thanks. Not really considering the Utopias as I felt the soundstage a bit too narrow which really suffocated me a bit haha.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #5,888 of 22,483
i havent heard the susvara ....to me the lcd-4 and Phi are the 2 best HP's available....both great bass...Phi has a larger soundstage and is a bit more transparent....the LCD-4s are heavy but easier to wear than the Phi's....both are about the same in terms of efficiency,you cant go wrong with either...i give a slight edge to the Phi

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #5,890 of 22,483
So how do the phis differ from lcds

I sold my LCD-4, LCD-3, and LCD-X for the original Abyss.
That's all I am saying personally.

I am now selling my Utopia and upgrading to the Phi soon.

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #5,891 of 22,483
I found the LCD4 to be good, but quite veiled by comparison. I feel like if I got some pieces of cloth and scrunched them up and put them in the earcups of the Abyss, I would have an LCD-4. A lot of people say they like their laid back sound, and I don't like an aggressive sound either, but I think the LCD4 was laid back to the point where you lose sight of why you are buying high end headphones.

Having said that, I have quite a warm sounding amp (solid state, but warm) and I have found the abyss to be even easier to listen to off tubes all the way through to a bit fatiguing on brighter gear. Though never as relaxed as an LCD4 and never as fatiguing as a HD800. If that makes sense. I have the original version of the abyss and the phi is said to be more sensitive to the upstream components again, so I imagine you could fine tune it to your liking fairly well.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #5,892 of 22,483
Thanks for the really helpful replies.
I find LCD4s really great as my system can resolve a lot of micro and macro details on the LCD4s and I like its engaging but laid back character which allows me to listen comfortable for a looong time. But I can also see how it can sound veiled as my previous system produced that quality of sound. If a headphone ups the resolution whilst preserving soundstage, being a bit sharper wouldnt be a bad thing IMHO. The other thing I really like about the LCD4s is the texture of mids and low even upper mids. The bass is beautiful as well. How does the Abyss compare in this specific regard?

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #5,893 of 22,483
I find the Abyss more of an event to listen to to the point where I'm excited just before using it. The LCD-4 is a great headphone but I'm using it for gaming, movies or casual listening. The Abyss has better bass than the LCD-4 in quality and quantity.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #5,894 of 22,483
the Phi is the only HP I have ever listened to that has a live feel to them....the closest thing I have ever heard to a loudspeaker system.....

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #5,895 of 22,483
i havent heard the susvara ....to me the lcd-4 and Phi are the 2 best HP's available....both great bass...Phi has a larger soundstage and is a bit more transparent....the LCD-4s are heavy but easier to wear than the Phi's....both are about the same in terms of efficiency,you cant go wrong with either...i give a slight edge to the Phi

I'd agree with this. I love my LCD-4, but have to give a slight edge to the Phi as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back