The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,896 of 22,483
Sounds like in terms of the presentation, LCD4s because they are a bit more laid back, offer more texture (am i right?) I feel I can listen to them the entire day. They are not the most transparent headphones thoigh with my system they are still very very resolving and the impact they hit you with is to die for yet they can also be subtle and nuanced and polite and gentle. Would I be right in saying the Abyss sounds a bit more focused/sharpened? And therefore may not sound that textured. Also would you guys say that the abyss is marginally better or that it offers a very different sound in terms of presentation which may make it worth buying as well as having the LCD4s? I know that is something that can only be decided on an individual basis, but this is more a question for ppl owing both headphones ... do you guys find yourself listening to both headphones or the abyss mostly (whether it's because of different presentations or whether abyss is much better than the lcd4). Thanks again with the very helpful replies.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #5,897 of 22,483
at the very high end there is no best...it is subjective....i can say the phi or LCD-4 is better than the focal elear but cannot assert they are better than the Utopia...i cannot tell you the Phi is BETTER than the LCD-4 only that I prefer it but still love listening to the LCD-4...kind of like saying you like the top of the line mercedes better than BMW etc....listen for yourself and decide,nobody here can answer the question with authority

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #5,901 of 22,483
The LCD-4 is more a comfy Jaguar XJR or an older Bentely vs the Phi is a few levels above sound technically speaking, to make it short.

I agree with this.

The Phi is another level honestly.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #5,902 of 22,483
Yea FWIW I heard the LCD 4 and MX4 at RMAF, they're very good and I love the Audeze sound. I still went with the Phi (and partially because I already have the XC). I'd love to have a Susvara too if I could. Absolutely loved the WA33 combo. I think the Phi will have better and harder hitting bass. The Susvara was more relaxed and reminded me more of the Electrostats. Since I am only getting one thing at this level I opted for the Phi... hoping the wait isn't too much longer.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #5,903 of 22,483
I am interested in the difference between the Phi and LCD 4 as well. I own a pair of LCD 4 and feel that its Treble is the maximum I can handle, any brighter and it'll be too fatiguing for me.
So, I was wondering how much brighter is the Phi over the LCD 4.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #5,904 of 22,483
Sounds like in terms of the presentation, LCD4s because they are a bit more laid back, offer more texture (am i right?) I feel I can listen to them the entire day. They are not the most transparent headphones thoigh with my system they are still very very resolving and the impact they hit you with is to die for yet they can also be subtle and nuanced and polite and gentle. Would I be right in saying the Abyss sounds a bit more focused/sharpened? And therefore may not sound that textured. Also would you guys say that the abyss is marginally better or that it offers a very different sound in terms of presentation which may make it worth buying as well as having the LCD4s? I know that is something that can only be decided on an individual basis, but this is more a question for ppl owing both headphones ... do you guys find yourself listening to both headphones or the abyss mostly (whether it's because of different presentations or whether abyss is much better than the lcd4). Thanks again with the very helpful replies.

On top of things like subjective preferences and differences of opinion, a question like "how is the texture" will also be down to a matter of interpretation... Going to be nearly impossible to get a helpful answer on that one.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #5,905 of 22,483
Look, I can see why people buy the LCD4 - Audeze has headphones in a bunch of different price ranges and cater for many different tastes. So for this reason, they have a lot of customers in the mid-high end market. So naturally, down the track, when people get the upgrade itch, they look for the next model up - the 4's - which they know will fit well, because it's the same fit they've already got, and they can be fairly sure they're going to like the sound of them, because they've liked Audeze's products in the past, and they've they been received reasonably well by the online community. Most people don't live in a location where top tier headphones are easily accessible to listen to, so they go for the safe bet.

Then you have the Abyss. No other products, made by a company that primarily makes cables, looks weird as crap, costs more, finicky to get the right fit, completely different to every other product on the market. Now, given that information, I only see 2 possible explanations as to why people buy the Abyss - either we are all insane (yes, probably at least a little bit - you have to be in this hobby), or the sound is that good that it overcomes, not only all the points mentioned above, but also pushes through all the hype surrounding products like the LCD4 and utopia and stands on it's own.

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #5,906 of 22,483
I am interested in the difference between the Phi and LCD 4 as well. I own a pair of LCD 4 and feel that its Treble is the maximum I can handle, any brighter and it'll be too fatiguing for me.
So, I was wondering how much brighter is the Phi over the LCD 4.

Is there a darker pair of headphones than the LCD4?

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #5,910 of 22,483
Abyss is faster and punchier, it also have less midrange and bass bloom. LCD 4 is a bit more refined with less treble and treble grain, but Abyss has a bit more transparency and clarity. I have not heard the Abyss Phi and from the impressions I have read it could be great, especially the less “U-shaped” and more refined sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back