The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #22,171 of 22,482
Thanks for listening. In my Abyss, the sound of the tambourine is very muffled, even at first I thought it was some kind of CD defect. It's hard for me to do anything about it when any headphones plugged into the same amp output reproduce that tambourine much better. Thanks again for the answers.
Is it possible that your amp is under-powered for the Abyss 1266? If your other headphones are higher sensitivity and easier to drive, it might contribute to the difference in presentation of the music.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #22,173 of 22,482
Sorry, I'm using an automatic translator. I have had Abyss for almost 10 years and am happy with them. Yesterday, however, I was pleasantly surprised. I was listening to the album Yes: Mirror of The Sky, in the 6th song Circles of Time at 1:07 a bell starts ringing on the right. Abyss reproduced this sound very poorly. I turned the cable to see if there was something wrong with the right earbud, but it was the same. Every other headphone I plugged in played the jingle just fine. Can someone please try it.
Don't know how well this will translate...

If your concern is about something being muffled, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be your fitment. You might already know this but try moving it up, down, closer, front, and back. This can drastically change where your ears detect the treble. Treble is very directional, so all it takes is a little adjustment of the 1266 and suddenly you'll hear a lot of treble or no treble. That's just the nature of sound waves. The 1266 will do this with every track, so you just need to make sure the fit is perfect.

It's comparable to a cat's ear. They can move their ears to pick up details that would otherwise be undetectable, especially from prey.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #22,174 of 22,482
That won't do, I have an Eddie Current 7S tube amplifier, which is also a speaker amplifier, it has sufficient power.
Looking back best I can find this amp was rated for 3 watts into a speaker load. Divide this by 6 for the 50 ohm AB1266, about 0.5 watts. This headphone is low efficiency so requires more power.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 20, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #22,175 of 22,482
Looking back best I can find this amp was rated for 3 watts into a speaker load. Divide this by 6 for the 50 ohm AB1266, about 0.5 watts. This headphone is low efficiency so requires more power.
Just curious to understand the equation. Why did you divide by 6 to get an estimate of the watts into a 50ohm load ( the 1266 )?

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #22,176 of 22,482
Why did you divide by 6 to get an estimate of the watts into a 50ohm load ( the 1266 )?
6*8 = 48 or ~50
Assuming the quoted power is into it’s optimal load, and the amp is voltage limited, power for a SS amp drops off linearly with load.
It doesn’t quite work like that for transformer coupled tube amps, because gain increases marginally with load, but it’s close enough to be in the ballpark, unless the Super 7 has a headphone specific tap on the transformer, in which case the output power into 50 ohms could be anything up to 2.5W.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #22,177 of 22,482
I've used math formulas posted by others on Head-Fi and came up with Abyss 1266 needing 1.5 watts and about 8 volts. I'm no EE or physicist, so just going with the math that was recommended.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #22,178 of 22,482
If he's referring to the Super 7, it absolutely can't drive AB1266.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #22,179 of 22,482
Thanks for listening. In my Abyss, the sound of the tambourine is very muffled, even at first I thought it was some kind of CD defect. It's hard for me to do anything about it when any headphones plugged into the same amp output reproduce that tambourine much better. Thanks again for the answers.
Had a quick listen on Apple Music. No issues hearing the tambourine at all either.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #22,180 of 22,482
3.5W from a tube speaker amp can be plenty. I would rather say it depends on the quality of amps delivery. I'm running a 3.5W speaker amp with the TC and it's the best pairing I've heard to date, trumping HA300 on Elrog and Bliss KTE as a high powered SS comparison.

But if the amp struggles with power delivery, then it will be a problem. I would rather suspect those particular tubes not having a great synergy with the TC :thinking:but yeah, it's definitely a chain issue. I also have no issues with the tambourine.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #22,181 of 22,482
2 great new metal albums, that sound great off the TCs

4vcjrzw.png

YTRc0wC.png

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #22,184 of 22,482
Sorry, I'm using an automatic translator. I have had Abyss for almost 10 years and am happy with them. Yesterday, however, I was pleasantly surprised. I was listening to the album Yes: Mirror of The Sky, in the 6th song Circles of Time at 1:07 a bell starts ringing on the right. Abyss reproduced this sound very poorly. I turned the cable to see if there was something wrong with the right earbud, but it was the same. Every other headphone I plugged in played the jingle just fine. Can someone please try it.
After 10 years you likely have some debris,dust, hair that mafe it's way past the screen and is touching your driver. Use a 20-30x eye loop to inspect.

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #22,185 of 22,482
I have to agree. I love the sound of Edie Current amps, but I haven't found one with sufficient power for AB1266. They sound Great at mids and highs, but not enough oomph for bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back