The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 1, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #7,441 of 23,662
Yea IMO any cable, source or module that boosts the sub bass in the A18t is the way to go. A "carrot" module (plug) will boost is more than M20.
I tried it and it gets far too bassy for my taste... generally use it with the FiR 13 so you know, huge difference haha

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #7,442 of 23,662
Yea IMO any cable, source or module that boosts the sub bass in the A18t is the way to go. A "carrot" module (plug) will boost is more than M20.

Also appreciate supporting components that boost bass on the A18, however, I want to balance the incredible openness and airiness as well.

For me, the PW 1950 cable accomplishes this to some extent.

It's hard for me to imagine a completely closed module wouldn't bloat the sound and severely reduce airiness...would be curious to try it though.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #7,443 of 23,662
Also appreciate supporting components that boost bass on the A18, however, I want to balance the incredible openness and airiness as well.

For me, the PW 1950 cable accomplishes this to some extent.

It's hard for me to imagine a completely closed module wouldn't bloat the sound and severely reduce airiness...would be curious to try it though.

Does the PW 1950 cable boost the bass AND highs/openness? As in V-shaped signature?

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #7,444 of 23,662
Does the PW 1950 cable boost the bass AND highs/openness? As in V-shaped signature?
I generally try to move as far away from the 18’s V as possible - pure silver cables ftw

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #7,445 of 23,662
i never perceived the a18t to have a v shape...never understand why people say this.

to my ears, it's incredibly neutral and fair to all frequencies.

it was a revelation to hear a transducer that both reproduced all frequencies equally and realistically and be the most exciting iem i've heard.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #7,446 of 23,662
i never perceived the a18t to have a v shape...never understand why people say this.

to my ears, it's incredibly neutral and fair to all frequencies.

it was a revelation to hear a transducer that both reproduced all frequencies equally and realistically and be the most exciting iem i've heard.
I also found it to be very neutral, but it has the potential to go to a V if the cable and modules boost the bass - but with a 13/15 module and an average cable - I’d also say extremely flat and surgical - also love it :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #7,447 of 23,662

i hear more bass with the 1950, but would not say that the cable actually alters the overall flat frequency response of the 18. it's more of a subtle change that seems to make a big difference (kind of an oxymoron, i know, but this is pretty much what cables do.)

the best way i can describe my impression of the a18t with the 1950 cable is as follows:

using the 1950 cable, i can use the m20 module and have nearly all the high-end clarity of the m15 module, more bass, better overall detail, and better overall spatial cues.

when you read the above line, you might think the cable makes a significant difference...and it does...but it also doesn't.

imagine a beautiful piece of art...painted on the head of a pin. it's only noticeable (or, perceptible at all,) if you're really looking [listening] closely. cables 101.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #7,448 of 23,662
i hear more bass with the 1950, but would not say that the cable actually alters the overall flat frequency response of the 18. it's more of a subtle change that seems to make a big difference (kind of an oxymoron, i know, but this is pretty much what cables do.)

the best way i can describe my impression of the a18t with the 1950 cable is as follows:

using the 1950 cable, i can use the m20 module and have nearly all the high-end clarity of the m15 module, more bass, better overall detail, and better overall spatial cues.

when you read the above line, you might think the cable makes a significant difference...and it does...but it also doesn't.

imagine a beautiful piece of art...painted on the head of a pin. it's only noticeable (or, perceptible at all,) if you're really looking [listening] closely. cables 101.
Sorry if I’m echoing you here but to add to that - I find it a bit silly to purchase an IEM and immediately get the most upgraded cable in existence - honestly I don’t think you’d be able to hear a difference, no matter how small

Personally I can only tell a difference between cables on the Andromeda S, because I know that IEM and how it performs inside out, down to the last detail - I am now rotating the Katana, the U18t, the Noir and the M5 on the daily and getting to know each one - only once I feel really comfortable with any one of them am I getting an upgrade cable, because I simply won’t be able to tell those extra nuances otherwise

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #7,449 of 23,662
^ agreed.

i feel that you can only fully appreciate subtle differences (especially once diminishing returns kick in, as they do for virtually any ultra-high end products, $2 - $3k+ iems included,) if you take the time to familiarize yourself with the subtle differences that do exist.

if you just buy the u18 and never listen with the stock cable, you won't appreciate (or even know) what the difference is.

that said, i feel if one listens carefully and goes immediately back and forth between stock/high-end cable, like the pw 1950, they'll at least hear some difference.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #7,450 of 23,662
^ agreed.

i feel that you can only fully appreciate subtle differences (especially once diminishing returns kick in, as they do for virtually any ultra-high end products, $2 - $3k+ iems included.)

if you just buy the u18 and never listen with the stock cable, you won't appreciate (or even know) what the difference is.

that said, i feel if one listens carefully and goes immediately back and forth between stock/high-end cable, like the pw 1950, they'll at least hear some difference.
I guess so, if you keep replaying a part of a track that you’ve committed to memory and you’d start telling the differences

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #7,451 of 23,662
why not just immediately listen back to back without needing to commit anything to memory?

really, if you're not listening back to back, it's much much harder to notice differences.

that's why no respectable review describes subtle differences by memory.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #7,452 of 23,662
why not just immediately listen back to back without needing to commit anything to memory?

really, if you're not listening back to back, it's much much harder to notice differences.

that's why no respectable review describes subtle differences by memory.
Nah I mean listen to X part of a song on stock cable
Then switch to the upgrade cable, listen to the same part of the song (preferably a song with high degree of technicality, detail, soundstage and a range of frequencies). Marvin Gaye’s Heard it Through the Grapevine is one of my go to songs for spaciousness, detail, vocals and imaging

Back and forth like that

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #7,453 of 23,662
Sounds like we're saying the same thing again.

:)

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #7,454 of 23,662
For me the difference between the 1950s and the stock 64Audio SPC cable is easily discernible. I guess I have expensive ears? :p all jokes aside obviously the A18t sounds fantastic with the SPC, but I’m all about maximizing its full potential so those 1950s are glued in.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #7,455 of 23,662
^ Wise man with wise, expensive ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back