The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,116 of 23,578
Which pair do you find yourself using the most? I’m Thinking about getting both but not sure yet.

Not sure what you mean by "pair". Are you referring to whether I use the A18 or the Fourte more?

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,117 of 23,578
Not sure what you mean by "pair". Are you referring to whether I use the A18 or the Fourte more?

Yes, which do you use the most between Fourte and A18?

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,118 of 23,578
I use them about equally. As has been well documented on this thread and others, they are both excellent earphones, but do have different signatures. The A18 has a more reference sound and the Fourte has a more dynamic, energetic sound. It depends on my mood on which I listen too.

I'm actually selling my Fourte however because I need to get some extra money. Sad day that I have to sell one of them. But, I'm choosing to sell the Fourte because it is universal, so makes it easier to sell.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #2,120 of 23,578
I received my U18s yesterday. First of all, I want to thank all the contributors to this thread. It's been really informative for me, and having never heard any of the newer TOTL IEMs, the impressions everyone has shared have been invaluable in helping me make my decision. I think I'm still adjusting to the U18. The sound is so transparent and pinpoint accurate, it's kind of shocking. My previous earphones are the w3, w30, and SE846, so this is a huge step up for me.

I'm having some issues with the fit, however, and that's been frustrating. I've never had problems with universals, so this is surprising, especially since most of what I've read has been very positive about the ergonomics. For all my previous IEMs, I'd just use whatever medium silicone tips I had, and I never gave it a second thought. For the U18 though, none of the stock silicones nor SpinFits have come close. I can't get a seal, and the U18s practically fall out of my ears. I've never liked foam, but the tips that come in the package (I believe they're Comply?) are the best so far. They're pretty comfortable, and the isolation is very good but falls short of great. The sound is really unbelievable with them on, and the bass really comes alive and starts to growl. I also have a set of Symbio tips (normal bore), and they're a distant second to the comfort and isolation of the Complys, but still much better than any of the pure silicones. I have a set of Symbio wide bores coming any day, so perhaps they will work a little better. I suppose what I don't like about the Complys is that they don't seem durable and they're always deforming and gathering dirt/wax, but maybe I just have to accept that going forward I might be a foam person.

In addition to the tips, I think the U18 housing is also a little uncomfortable. I'm hopeful that my ears will adjust though. At first, the SE846 felt too big, and I didn't like the way they seemed to force my ears open, but over time I became used to how they felt, and eventually, they became easily as comfortable as my Westones. I also think that the fact that they were a little fatter helped with the isolation. The U18s, however, lack the more organic/bulbous shape of the SE846, and that has been a little irritating.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful, and I have a few questions about tips. I think that if the Symbios protruded a little farther out, they might work very well. Has anyone had luck with adding a little ring at the base of the stem to prevent them from being pushed all the way down? I think I could, for example, cut a little ring out of the center of the SpinFits, but I'm not sure how I'd do this. With an Exacto knife? Also, can anyone recommend silicones that are taller than SpinFits? I'd use my Westones, but the stem of the U18 is too wide.

Thanks!

Definitely try smaller ear tips for a deeper insertion. Using those o-rings or making your own spacers can certainly help. Try different orientations with the shell in relation to your ear.

Hopefully you'll land upon a method that works for you.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,121 of 23,578
I received my U18s yesterday. First of all, I want to thank all the contributors to this thread. It's been really informative for me, and having never heard any of the newer TOTL IEMs, the impressions everyone has shared have been invaluable in helping me make my decision. I think I'm still adjusting to the U18. The sound is so transparent and pinpoint accurate, it's kind of shocking. My previous earphones are the w3, w30, and SE846, so this is a huge step up for me.

I'm having some issues with the fit, however, and that's been frustrating. I've never had problems with universals, so this is surprising, especially since most of what I've read has been very positive about the ergonomics. For all my previous IEMs, I'd just use whatever medium silicone tips I had, and I never gave it a second thought. For the U18 though, none of the stock silicones nor SpinFits have come close. I can't get a seal, and the U18s practically fall out of my ears. I've never liked foam, but the tips that come in the package (I believe they're Comply?) are the best so far. They're pretty comfortable, and the isolation is very good but falls short of great. The sound is really unbelievable with them on, and the bass really comes alive and starts to growl. I also have a set of Symbio tips (normal bore), and they're a distant second to the comfort and isolation of the Complys, but still much better than any of the pure silicones. I have a set of Symbio wide bores coming any day, so perhaps they will work a little better. I suppose what I don't like about the Complys is that they don't seem durable and they're always deforming and gathering dirt/wax, but maybe I just have to accept that going forward I might be a foam person.

In addition to the tips, I think the U18 housing is also a little uncomfortable. I'm hopeful that my ears will adjust though. At first, the SE846 felt too big, and I didn't like the way they seemed to force my ears open, but over time I became used to how they felt, and eventually, they became easily as comfortable as my Westones. I also think that the fact that they were a little fatter helped with the isolation. The U18s, however, lack the more organic/bulbous shape of the SE846, and that has been a little irritating.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful, and I have a few questions about tips. I think that if the Symbios protruded a little farther out, they might work very well. Has anyone had luck with adding a little ring at the base of the stem to prevent them from being pushed all the way down? I think I could, for example, cut a little ring out of the center of the SpinFits, but I'm not sure how I'd do this. With an Exacto knife? Also, can anyone recommend silicones that are taller than SpinFits? I'd use my Westones, but the stem of the U18 is too wide.

Thanks!

This is exactly my problem and why I went Customs, I couldn't get the 64 or other brands to stay in my odd ears. Turns out my ear canal turns up fairly quickly and doesn't leave enough room for tips to get a good grip. With the 64s the comply were the best but they still wouldn't stay in. My customs are amazing and I would never go back to universal. I know its not an answer you like but I tried soo many universal and the only ones that even kinda of stayed in were Campfire because they are so small, well maybe Weststone 80s were decent as well but wouldnt stay in if I moved around. Silicone tips 100% will not work in my ears and just fall out. Zero seal.

Did you not get a chance to try them before you bought them?

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,122 of 23,578
This is exactly my problem and why I went Customs, I couldn't get the 64 or other brands to stay in my odd ears. Turns out my ear canal turns up fairly quickly and doesn't leave enough room for tips to get a good grip. With the 64s the comply were the best but they still wouldn't stay in. My customs are amazing and I would never go back to universal. I know its not an answer you like but I tried soo many universal and the only ones that even kinda of stayed in were Campfire because they are so small, well maybe Weststone 80s were decent as well but wouldnt stay in if I moved around. Silicone tips 100% will not work in my ears and just fall out. Zero seal.

Did you not get a chance to try them before you bought them?

No, I didn't try them first, but since Westone and Shure universals have worked so well for me, I just made the assumption that these would too. I think I could get used to the Comply if that's the best it's going to get, but I have Shure Olives, Spiral Dots, Symbio wide bores, and a bunch of o-rings on the way, so I will experiment more! With the Comply tips, the bass quantity is almost at SE846 levels so the seal is pretty good, but while they're not exactly falling out of my ears, the SE846 is more secure and snug.

The good news is that I've relaxed about it over the past day, and the music has taken center stage. These earphones are incredible. I've always felt that the SE846 was a little congested, almost claustrophobic. The sensation I get listening to the U18 is not that the soundstage is always huge but rather that it's as big as it needs to be at any given moment, as if the SE846 cage I've been living in has been unlocked. The instrumentation is also very organized. There's no bleeding anywhere. The bass and treble are extremely present, but the sound is never too bass heavy or bright. Each is free to do their own thing. It's magical.

I haven't tried customs, but my thought has always been that they don't suit my lifestyle. I live in NYC and use my earphones on trains and sometimes on the street, where having complete isolation isn't really safe. Plus I also use them in my office, where it would be good to know if someone is trying to talk to me. I can imagine, however, that all my tip woes would simply disappear if I did go the custom route. Like I said, I'm still hopeful, I just think that my ears are a little more picky with the U18.

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,123 of 23,578
Have made my decision to upgrade my in-production A12t to A18t after listening to the demo for two days now...the mids are much clearer, soundstage is enormous and truly 3D! The remaining problem is wether I should change my hifiman hm901 to another DAP that matches A18t better? Any thoughts guys?

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,124 of 23,578
Have made my decision to upgrade my in-production A12t to A18t after listening to the demo for two days now...the mids are much clearer, soundstage is enormous and truly 3D! The remaining problem is wether I should change my hifiman hm901 to another DAP that matches A18t better? Any thoughts guys?
You should change your dap because of its high sensitivity. Pleanue2 or AK series may good for a18t

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,125 of 23,578

I thought you couldn’t change it once the status changes to in production. I really like fourte and Tzar... I’m contemplating getting both but that would just be over kill for me.

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,126 of 23,578
Boy oh boy does The Beatles Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band (50th Anniversary Super Delux Editon) from hdtracks sound soooooooooo good. I have three versions and to my ears this is sooo much more better. Musical, vocals, instrument placement is just so good. I’ll be listening to this all weekend.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,127 of 23,578

I might upgrade A12t to A18t too then. LOL! I'll try. Just don't want to regret not upgrading it later.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,128 of 23,578

How were you able to make that comparison? Did you get a demo of the U12t?

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,130 of 23,578
I thought you couldn’t change it once the status changes to in production. I really like fourte and Tzar... I’m contemplating getting both but that would just be over kill for me.

I emailed 64 audio and they were kind enough to change my a12t to an a18t (after paying for the difference of course)

Mine only had the shells processed and was not yet being assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back