The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 18, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,107 of 23,576
Not sure what has changed with the new Roxanne, but Marcus @ headfonics had done a comparison between the old A12 ve Roxanne in his old A12 review.
Now here is the subjective thing here, I prefer U8 over Roxanne, but both is universal fit. The sounds from Roxanne is not as clear as from 64s. However the JHs are more full.

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #3,108 of 23,576
I did a lot of comparison between A12, Layla, and Roxanne last year at the Denver Can Jam. The 12t was not officially out but they had the demo X and Y there and one of them was the 12t. Its a tough call to be honest. Of the 3 I liked the 12t and the Roxanne the best. All three sound amazing, good overall sound from low to high. In the end I liked the Roxanne because it was a lot more fun and wow to listen to for my ears. I would highly recommend that you demo them and see what you like vs asking someone for their opinion. I have never see a more individually subjective hobby than this one, as everyone hears differently.
Thank you! You conclude with a pearl of wisdom, no doubt. I had the pleasure to listen to both Roxanne and Layla today, and the latter surprised me with its SQ. As if the same orchestra had suddenly got a more talented conductor...but at this level it's mostly a matter of preference.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,110 of 23,576
I’ll have both the A12t and the Roxanne in a week or so if you want more info. I also a bunch of other iems in that range.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,111 of 23,576
Now here is the subjective thing here, I prefer U8 over Roxanne, but both is universal fit. The sounds from Roxanne is not as clear as from 64s. However the JHs are more full.

Actually, I said it on here before that for the price I would pick the A8 over all of them, if strictly going for price and performance alone. I love the A8. Lot of people hate it. Granted I like rock music and mostly listen to that.

The thing about the Roxanne and is that JH will take your audiology test results and tune them specifically for your ears. For me this was the icing on the cake. My ears do not fit universals well at all, and so I went with Customs and with what I said before I got customs tuned specifically to my ears and I couldn't be happier.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,112 of 23,576
Look at the n8t that thing is going to be fantastic!

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,113 of 23,576
It’s going to be better than the A8 you should wait

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #3,115 of 23,576
Just ordered a gs849 from ebay and they act super quick on ebay!
I suggest everyone should just order on ebay (may get some cashback as well) and enjoy a more responsive shopping.
The e-express of hong kong post is just excellent.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,116 of 23,576
Probably a bit off topic but the two best IEM's that I own are the Layla universal 1st gen and the U18 tzar. Was using the Layla for 2 years before I just got the U18. I couldn't adequately describe Layla's sound before, since I didn't have a TOTL reference point. For example, she seemed very detailed to me, which she actually isn't. The Layla isn't ultra detailed. It's also dark, compared to the U18. And the soundstage that seemed enormous to me, is actually just okay (though depth is very special on the Laylas. There are some very surprising and enjoyable positioning tricks it does, sort of finding new spaces within your skull that you didn't know were there, which the U18 does more naturally and with less wow). I would compare the two like this: Layla is mysterious. Like chandeliers suspended on a dark lake. It doesn't tell you everything about the music, but what it tells you is, on 50% of the occasions, extremely intriguing. If I were to want to wow someone who's never listened to hifi IEMs with an incredibly rich, in your face, otherworldly sound, I would play them Laylas, with the Cayin c5 as the amp and the Mojo as the DAC. It's an incredibly impressive, druglike experience. With the right track (Placebo's Special Needs for some reason sounds absolutely SIDEREAL with them) they can induce whole body shivers, raise the hair on your back. Magical stuff. The other 50% they don't agree with the mixing on the track and are surprisingly boring. Like a drug that isn't working, a drink that doesn't make you that happy. A girl who's a bit moody today.

Oh, and they're fatiguing and uncomfortable to wear, although not deal-brakingly so.

The U18 is absolutely incredibly stable and normal, compared to them. It just represents every last detail in the music, on a huge, much airier soundstage. Simply informing you about what's going on, in an easy and airy way. The tzar allows the music to work its magic. It does not create an air of mystery, on the opposite, it ends every mystery you had about the mix. You simply hear everything that's there -- and everything that isn't. With some songs that I've listened to my whole life I can say I've now heard everything there is in it. The detail retrieval quest is complete. They are an order of magnitude more technically proficient that the Layla. Soundstage depth is the only comparable part, width is way better, detail is on another level. Both IEM's are, surprisingly enough, pretty forgiving. (I use m20 module with tzars). Though the tzar even more so. I can listen to downright shittily recorded music on the tzar and still enjoy it, Layla is a bit less forgiving. Both are good for a wide array of genres. This is how I like my gear. Flexible. The Tzar is just even more flexible.

I would say the U18 does not sound as full as the Layla, though. There is a fat, juicy fullness and texture, again very mysterious, with the Laylas. The tzar is a bit more distant and not as ripe, but it presentsi everything in great detail and texture, whereas the Layla only presents elements that are forward in the mix. With the tzar, even a little shaker in the extreme far left of the mix, sounds full and has texture. And appears large in the image. Layla has a bit of a fish eye lense structure when it comes to detail. The edges are more distant and smaller, which is typical of IEMs and headphones in general. Some elements are microscopic and vague. The Tzar with its incredible technicality presents every element in its natural size. Wherever it is in the mix. This is their perhaps most impressive quality, a side-effect of the massive out-of-your-head soundstage combined with incredible detail. But it does not come off as lush as the Layla.

Also, The tzar is a million times more comfy and less fatiguing than the Layla. The apex system is an absolute blessing for long listening and it makes the Layla feel ungainly, complicated, finnicky to use.

This got a bit long, but I hope it's of some use to someone. In conlcusion: Layla is a mystery. Full and ripe and the universal is very moody to wear. The tzar is clear and detailed and normal. For a daily driver I'd take tzar definitely, but I don't plan on selling the Layla either.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3,117 of 23,576
Probably a bit off topic but the two best IEM's that I own are the Layla universal 1st gen and the U18 tzar. Was using the Layla for 2 years before I just got the U18. I couldn't adequately describe Layla's sound before, since I didn't have a TOTL reference point. For example, she seemed very detailed to me, which she actually isn't. The Layla isn't ultra detailed. It's also dark, compared to the U18. And the soundstage that seemed enormous to me, is actually just okay (though depth is very special on the Laylas. There are some very surprising and enjoyable positioning tricks it does, sort of finding new spaces within your skull that you didn't know were there, which the U18 does more naturally and with less wow). I would compare the two like this: Layla is mysterious. Like chandeliers suspended on a dark lake. It doesn't tell you everything about the music, but what it tells you is, on 50% of the occasions, extremely intriguing. If I were to want to wow someone who's never listened to hifi IEMs with an incredibly rich, in your face, otherworldly sound, I would play them Laylas, with the Cayin c5 as the amp and the Mojo as the DAC. It's an incredibly impressive, druglike experience. With the right track (Placebo's Special Needs for some reason sounds absolutely SIDEREAL with them) they can induce whole body shivers, raise the hair on your back. Magical stuff. The other 50% they don't agree with the mixing on the track and are surprisingly boring. Like a drug that isn't working, a drink that doesn't make you that happy. A girl who's a bit moody today.

Oh, and they're fatiguing and uncomfortable to wear, although not deal-brakingly so.

The U18 is absolutely incredibly stable and normal, compared to them. It just represents every last detail in the music, on a huge, much airier soundstage. Simply informing you about what's going on, in an easy and airy way. The tzar allows the music to work its magic. It does not create an air of mystery, on the opposite, it ends every mystery you had about the mix. You simply hear everything that's there -- and everything that isn't. With some songs that I've listened to my whole life I can say I've now heard everything there is in it. The detail retrieval quest is complete. They are an order of magnitude more technically proficient that the Layla. Soundstage depth is the only comparable part, width is way better, detail is on another level. Both IEM's are, surprisingly enough, pretty forgiving. (I use m20 module with tzars). Though the tzar even more so. I can listen to downright ****tily recorded music on the tzar and still enjoy it, Layla is a bit less forgiving. Both are good for a wide array of genres. This is how I like my gear. Flexible. The Tzar is just even more flexible.

I would say the U18 does not sound as full as the Layla, though. There is a fat, juicy fullness and texture, again very mysterious, with the Laylas. The tzar is a bit more distant and not as ripe, but it presentsi everything in great detail and texture, whereas the Layla only presents elements that are forward in the mix. With the tzar, even a little shaker in the extreme far left of the mix, sounds full and has texture. And appears large in the image. Layla has a bit of a fish eye lense structure when it comes to detail. The edges are more distant and smaller, which is typical of IEMs and headphones in general. Some elements are microscopic and vague. The Tzar with its incredible technicality presents every element in its natural size. Wherever it is in the mix. This is their perhaps most impressive quality, a side-effect of the massive out-of-your-head soundstage combined with incredible detail. But it does not come off as lush as the Layla.

Also, The tzar is a million times more comfy and less fatiguing than the Layla. The apex system is an absolute blessing for long listening and it makes the Layla feel ungainly, complicated, finnicky to use.

This got a bit long, but I hope it's of some sue to someone. In conlcusion: Layla is a mystery. Full and ripe and the universal is very moody to wear. The tzar is clear and detailed and normal. For a daily driver I'd take tzar definitely, but I don't plan on selling the Layla either.
This is a very good description - especially the fisheye lens effect that many CIEMs exhibit. Have been looking for a way to describe that myself, may have to borrow that term. There is nothing more unnatural in a sound stage than having instruments that sound like they are being played by an ant (incorrectly sized) or by a band member in a different room far away with the door closed. The 64 Audio tia lineup besides having a huge soundstage, have an incredibly consistent sizing of all instruments that sound like they share the same stage in a natural way. Thank you for your description.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #3,119 of 23,576
How does the A12t compare to UE18pro+ ? I am suppose to get the UE18PRO+ but love the pressure relieve of the apex module. How good is the module? I hate the pressure in CIEM.

Also does the UE18PRO+ has more bass and treble over the A12t?

I appreciate any tiny bit of info. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back