The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,022 of 1,969
Does it go to a satisfactory sound level? I asked as i'm in the verge of making custom cables for my Ether C to go balanced.

If the information I'm finding is correct, the Ether C has an impedance of 22 ohms and a sensitivity of 92dB/mW. The Pono will easily drive that in balanced mode. For comparison, the HE-400S has a 22 ohm impedance and a 98dB sensitivity, and my Pono drives that in balanced mode just fine, with room on the volume dial to spare. Lots of detail.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,024 of 1,969
With the HE-1000 I've only used it balanced.

Does it go to a satisfactory sound level? I asked as i'm in the verge of making custom cables for my Ether C to go balanced.

OK, spent a little time on this, comparing. I really hardly ever use the Pono balanced out the the HE-1000...indoors, where I mostly use the HEK (I have gone out with it on occasion, but it is expensive and really dorky looking, so I haven't done it often), I also have the Liquid Carbon (bedside) and the MicroZOTL2 (PC system), and, while the Pono CAN drive the HEK balanced, it doesn't sound as good as either of those, so I use the line out to the LC in bed, and a LH Labs 2G USB/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition from the PC, the mobility issue isn't such an issue at home (on dog walks I'll use the Pono with one of a number of on or over ear headphones). So, with that preamble (or ramble, if you prefer...what some folks won't do to put off going out and shoveling the mountain of snow :D ), I went back and forth, comparing the Pono balanced (Norne Zoetic cable) into either the LC (balanced, line out from the Pono) or the Pono. So, the Pono can indeed drive the HEK, volume levels about 4-6 O clock, depending on the track. It does not sound as smooth or as good as the LC, though, bass is there on the Pono, but is tighter when I go line out into the LC. (listened to rock-All Time Low, Grateful Dead, some folk bu Joni Mitchell, some Jazz, Henry Butler/Steven Bernstein and the Hot 9 and Marti Ehrlich's Large Ensemble...interestingly, the issue of tight/tuneful bass was most noticeable on acoustic bass on the latter 2 albums. Not that the Pono was all 1 note, but the LC definitely did get the notes and the edge definition better. The Large Ensemble was also a bit more coherent through the LC). So, when I say you can drive the HEK through the Pono balanced, that is true, it is a 1 box solution, and it is good sounding. But, if you are in a situation where you can get a better amp to drive it, no question to me it does better with better juice. But if you will need to be mobile, it is OK.

My $0.02-do I have to go out now? :frowning2:

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,025 of 1,969
OK, spent a little time on this, comparing. I really hardly ever use the Pono balanced out the the HE-1000...indoors, where I mostly use the HEK (I have gone out with it on occasion, but it is expensive and really dorky looking, so I haven't done it often), I also have the Liquid Carbon (bedside) and the MicroZOTL2 (PC system), and, while the Pono CAN drive the HEK balanced, it doesn't sound as good as either of those, so I use the line out to the LC in bed, and a LH Labs 2G USB/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition from the PC, the mobility issue isn't such an issue at home (on dog walks I'll use the Pono with one of a number of on or over ear headphones). So, with that preamble (or ramble, if you prefer...what some folks won't do to put off going out and shoveling the mountain of snow
biggrin.gif
), I went back and forth, comparing the Pono balanced (Norne Zoetic cable) into either the LC (balanced, line out from the Pono) or the Pono. So, the Pono can indeed drive the HEK, volume levels about 3-5 O clock, depending on the track. It does not sound as smooth or as good as the LC, though, bass is there on the Pono, but is tighter when I go line out into the LC. (listened to rock-All Time Low, Grateful Dead, some folk bu Joni Mitchell, some Jazz, Henry Butler/Steven Bernstein and the Hot 9 and Marti Ehrlich's Large Ensemble...interestingly, the issue of tight/tuneful bass was most noticeable on acoustic bass on the latter 2 albums. Not that the Pono was all 1 note, but the LC definitely did get the notes and the edge definition better. The Large Ensemble was also a bit more coherent through the LC). So, when I say you can drive the HEK through the Pono balanced, that is true, it is a 1 box solution, and it is good sounding. But, if you are in a situation where you can get a better amp to drive it, no question to me it does better with better juice. But if you will need to be mobile, it is OK.

My $0.02-do I have to go out now?
frown.gif

NO its time for a NAP! followed by more headphone testing doctorjazz. the snow will eventually melt

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,026 of 1,969
OK, spent a little time on this, comparing. I really hardly ever use the Pono balanced out the the HE-1000...indoors, where I mostly use the HEK (I have gone out with it on occasion, but it is expensive and really dorky looking, so I haven't done it often), I also have the Liquid Carbon (bedside) and the MicroZOTL2 (PC system), and, while the Pono CAN drive the HEK balanced, it doesn't sound as good as either of those, so I use the line out to the LC in bed, and a LH Labs 2G USB/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition from the PC, the mobility issue isn't such an issue at home (on dog walks I'll use the Pono with one of a number of on or over ear headphones). So, with that preamble (or ramble, if you prefer...what some folks won't do to put off going out and shoveling the mountain of snow
biggrin.gif
), I went back and forth, comparing the Pono balanced (Norne Zoetic cable) into either the LC (balanced, line out from the Pono) or the Pono. So, the Pono can indeed drive the HEK, volume levels about 4-6 O clock, depending on the track. It does not sound as smooth or as good as the LC, though, bass is there on the Pono, but is tighter when I go line out into the LC. (listened to rock-All Time Low, Grateful Dead, some folk bu Joni Mitchell, some Jazz, Henry Butler/Steven Bernstein and the Hot 9 and Marti Ehrlich's Large Ensemble...interestingly, the issue of tight/tuneful bass was most noticeable on acoustic bass on the latter 2 albums. Not that the Pono was all 1 note, but the LC definitely did get the notes and the edge definition better. The Large Ensemble was also a bit more coherent through the LC). So, when I say you can drive the HEK through the Pono balanced, that is true, it is a 1 box solution, and it is good sounding. But, if you are in a situation where you can get a better amp to drive it, no question to me it does better with better juice. But if you will need to be mobile, it is OK.

My $0.02-do I have to go out now?
frown.gif

That's very informative, thanks so much! Guess I'll be going balanced on the Ponoplayer since that is the cheapest upgrade that I can go for at the moment. Not to mention I do require a portable rig that fits in my pocket.

How long did the battery last when you ran balanced out from the Pono direct to the HE1K?

I'm surprised that you didn't try going balanced out pono -> LC -> balanced out to HE1K as that would give you a better source signal. Something new for you to experiment on perhaps? :)

Clearly the snow will melt with the sun... Although, it does give you the option to get some fresh air... I say take the nap option! :D

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,027 of 1,969
Hours of snow clearing later, and I'm back (but, there was hours of more snow, so I'll be back out there clearing snow again tomorrow...have to do it really...I want to be in to see Peyton manning and the Broncos defeat THE EVIL EMPIRE!). Sorry I wasn't clear...I did go line out from Pono into LC, then used the balanced or to the HEK. I don't have that many headphones that I can run balanced from the LC, but the HEK/Zoetic is terminated balanced, and I have adapters to use it single ended or balanced into the Pono.
Not sure what it does to the battery (shortens battery life from what I've read), didn't ruin it long enough.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,030 of 1,969
I'm thinking the same thing.  I've moved almost all my music listening to Pono, and especially since I've replaced my standard cable with a balanced cable the iPhone isn't in the mix any more.  I still use it for podcasts, but the Pono becomes more and more important to me.
One of the things I've done is to buy an external battery pack.  I ordered the one wire cutter.com recommended.  That takes care of my biggest problem that the Pono's battery isn't big enough.
Can you tell me what brand and model battery you bought and how it is working for you. That is my next tweak. Any suggestions from anyone else is appreciated.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,031 of 1,969
As noted above, you can't run a dac into the Pono (to use as an amp?), but you can run it line out into an external amp. You also can't use it as an external amp/dac, say, with music from your phone or computer, it is a DAP.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,035 of 1,969
I've just been using the single ended line out, going into my LC or my ZOTL with a single to double cable. I'd guess there is some improvement if you go balanced out in noise, though one of the big benefits, the increased power in balanced, is no use if you're using an external amp. I just never bothered with yet ANOTHER set of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back