The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,066 of 1,969
I agree with you. I don't always like the mixing job done on recordings. Especially the stuff coming out these days in the rock/folk world, which is what I listen to the most. EQ is a handy and very useful tool. It is less of an issue for me when I listen to '40s era jazz and obviously baroque era classical arrangements.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,067 of 1,969
  I agree with you. I don't always like the mixing job done on recordings. Especially the stuff coming out these days in the rock/folk world, which is what I listen to the most. EQ is a handy and very useful tool. It is less of an issue for me when I listen to '40s era jazz and obviously baroque era classical arrangements.

I'm not saying I wouldn't perhaps use an EQ on pono for some recordings, I just don't need one or expect one. Not having one keeps the playing field level and allows the pono to stay pure. Lineout to external EQ is available for special cases.

I think 100 hrs/month in a plane sounds like hell no matter how much music I had with me.

I also think, even with new music, you shouldn't need much EQ to make a DAP sound good. Headphone type, position, and tightness all make major changes to the EQ of the music.

Isn't it as easy as "push in for more bass, pull half-out for less bass" ?  That's how I treat my headphones.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,068 of 1,969
I'm not saying I wouldn't perhaps use an EQ on pono for some recordings, I just don't need one or expect one. Not having one keeps the playing field level and allows the pono to stay pure. Lineout to external EQ is available for special cases.

I think 100 hrs/month in a plane sounds like hell no matter how much music I had with me.

I also think, even with new music, you shouldn't need much EQ to make a DAP sound good. Headphone type, position, and tightness all make major changes to the EQ of the music.

Isn't it as easy as "push in for more bass, pull half-out for less bass" ? That's how I treat my headphones.

Lol seriously

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,069 of 1,969

Isn't it as easy as "push in for more bass, pull half-out for less bass" ?  That's how I treat my headphones.

It's NOT about making the DAP sound good. It's about compensating for a poor mixing job done by a studio producer/engineer trying to put his own stamp on the music, instead of allowing the instrumentation and/or the song speak for itself. I agree with someone's desire to want to use EQ. There are reasons for it.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,070 of 1,969
Lol seriously

i listen probably 80% from speakers and only wear headphones occasionally. i almost never wear earbuds anymore.

headphones are fun like that - they are little baby speakers hooked over your ears that you can move around in the most unique ways and make huge changes to the EQ.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,071 of 1,969
A friend just purchased the Oppo PM-3 cans, and plans to pair them with a Pono (at my recommendation). Every review I've read strongly recommends using a Pono in balanced mode. I know Oppo doesn't make a balanced cables for the PM3 , but others do. Any recommendations on the best, and/or best value in balanced output cables for Pono use, as I believe he would need both the balanced cable for the headphones, and one also coming from the Pono's output. Thanks for any expertise and assistance.

JC

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,072 of 1,969
There are lots of options, I got Norne Zoetic for my HEK, balanced (for the Liquid Carbon), with adaptors for the Pono and for single ended use. Not the most inexpensive option (or the most expensive either, for that matter), not quick (takes a while to receive them), but Trevor does good work, both sound wise and aesthetically.

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,073 of 1,969
  A friend just purchased the Oppo PM-3 cans, and plans to pair them with a Pono (at my recommendation). Every review I've read strongly recommends using a Pono in balanced mode. I know Oppo doesn't make a balanced cables for the PM3 , but others do. Any recommendations on the best, and/or best value in balanced output cables for Pono use, as I believe he would need both the balanced cable for the headphones, and one also coming from the Pono's output. Thanks for any expertise and assistance.

JC

Shoot fellow head-fier @PETEREK a PM. He does some great work and has made Pono-balanced cables for me before.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,078 of 1,969
I can't find this info anywhere. Does Pono display both Chinese traditional and simplified ID tags? Thx

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,079 of 1,969
Can someone tell which side of the balanced out is left vs right? Since this is not marked on the player. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back