The TOPPING D70 Pro OCTO HIFI DAC - Now Available on Apos Audio
Dec 1, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #31 of 66
Got yesterday D70 Pro Octo and paired it with A70 Pro, XLR DAC -> AMP / USB pc -> DAC. Gave it a few hours listen and it feels like stage is wide, everything is detailed, mids are clean, highs are extended and on bad mixes might be bothersome for younger people, not for me (40 very soon). Bass is voluminous and impactfull, on nicely mastered trance, LCD2 2021 closed back hits like a truck.
All in all, very happy for now and will listen more and get more impressions.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #32 of 66
Yes, this is a very good combo and not expensive for what it can do 👍

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #34 of 66
My OCTO just have arrived.

First shock: it has much narrower sound stage than my previous DX5 Lite! And also less bass.

I have played with the filter settings, but none of them affect these :frowning2:

Of course it has much better detail retrieving and imaging, but the sound stage thing makes me sad. Bass is also more articulated but LESS in quantity. Not my end game DAC for sure...

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #35 of 66

First shock: it has much narrower sound stage than my previous DX5 Lite! And also less bass.

I have played with the filter settings, but none of them affect these :frowning2:

Of course it has much better detail retrieving and imaging, but the sound stage thing makes me sad. Bass is also more articulated but LESS in quantity. Not my end game DAC for sure...
What is your amp? Headphones?

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #37 of 66
HD650 and Grado 225 have small stage, only XS has little bigger than mid stage. Dont forget, D70 Pro Octo is very detailed, bad audio in bad audio out. Low lvl tier gear will play better low quality files than your stack. Listen to it, let it burn in over few nights, then after certain time try to go back to old gear if you can. I also have Octo just my amp is A70 pro, so detailed but not boring sound, DT1990 Pro sounds great, HD800S huge, LCD2 2021 closed back impactful.

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #38 of 66
HD650 and Grado 225 have small stage, only XS has little bigger than mid stage. Dont forget, D70 Pro Octo is very detailed, bad audio in bad audio out. Low lvl tier gear will play better low quality files than your stack. Listen to it, let it burn in over few nights, then after certain time try to go back to old gear if you can. I also have Octo just my amp is A70 pro, so detailed but not boring sound, DT1990 Pro sounds great, HD800S huge, LCD2 2021 closed back impactful.
I had a direct comparison with DX5 Lite (as a DAC), so I can tell you that OCTO itself has significantly smaller stage.

The difference obviously doesn't depend on the headphones, only on the DACs.

Both XS and SR225x had much wider stage with DX5 Lite, than with OCTO.

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #39 of 66
Sry to hear that, I dont have any issues with stage, width is very good, depth is ok ( proper class A would go ahead). Let it burn in and see if anything changes.
@marekm, what is you experience with stage regarding D70 Octo?

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 66

After listening to the experiences of many users, it is said that OCTO's performance is achieved only after burning for more than 200 hours.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #42 of 66
Total BS, IMHO :L3000:

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #44 of 66
Got to test out the topping d70 octo and compared it to topping 90le as well as smsl su-9

I see you didn't really like it :)

In what system have you tested, what gear, what was the source, what kind of music etc... Because these are important factors.

I would have never bought it for electronic music for example... But I really enjoy it for jazz and vocal.

I have changed a Sabre DAC for this, and I would never want Sabre again :)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back