The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 8, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #88,621 of 89,623
massive step up for FiiO.
Oh pleasing surprise! you leave no room and firm confirmation than FIIO did advance DD vs BA bass domain.
We share a lot of gears and musical tastes so you hooked my attention :wink:

This month release saw a lot of brands pushing R&D.
Fiio and Elysian (DD bass) drivers received a lot of praises and their approach is bearing fruits.

Thanks! I'll wait for your detailed review when you feel like it.

May 8, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #88,622 of 89,623
:) I got the same reaction after I finished listening, it's like from the beginning to the end of a live performance, you heard "testing, testing" in your walkie talkie, and that's it, there is no message. I agree that it's pretty good for testing the bass, though...

It's certainly music. Too deep for most.

May 8, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #88,623 of 89,623
One of my favorite Quotes

IMG_8894.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #88,624 of 89,623
Some great gear is like artists of old... appreciated only long after their death... 🤦‍♂️

don't we know it. sometimes because it becomes collectible; sometimes, because of an extraordinary audio peak in time captured in a time capsule...

New Violectric

Cool amp gets even cooler with vu meters and front pre-gain knob, taken from their fb page

Vu meters are all the rage these days...

May 8, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #88,625 of 89,623
The mailwoman delivered some happiness this afternoon! Still tip-rolling and cable-rolling (as UM typically warrants) but genuinely shocked how good this thing sounds out of the box!

1715212686284.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #88,626 of 89,623
:) I got the same reaction after I finished listening, it's like from the beginning to the end of a live performance, you heard "testing, testing" in your walkie talkie, and that's it, there is no message. I agree that it's pretty good for testing the bass, though...
It does grow on you though as you keep listening. Do it intermittently and you start missing it. That bass!

May 8, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #88,627 of 89,623
Yeah, it's a phenomenal test track & it sounds like you're warming up to the music.

This is another really good test track, but totally different -

Boris Blank (one half of Yello) - Electrified.

The guy makes technically unbelievable electronic music & he's 72. Absolute studio whizz & I think he still uses mostly outboard gear. Total genius.

https://tidal.com/track/77661061?u
Also good stuff. I might like Key Largo the best.

That album has 40 tracks!

May 8, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #88,628 of 89,623
Very satisfying, sub bass digs wonderfully deep. I need more time to ascertain mid bass which personally speaking is typically less important to me, but equally I can be a bit more fussy about too in terms of a dynamic driver vs BA.

I’m skeptical of BAs outperforming DDs for sub and mid bass so I’d love to demo those.

May 9, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #88,630 of 89,623
@Damz87

Can you tell me which source you are using? A lot has changed in this latest version and I just can't figure it out. For example, Raven was right at the top, and now even behind the Rn6. Mentor is at the top again. The CP622B has 10 in Soundstage & Imaging and Layering & Staging and Mentor is supposed to be better than Raven.

These are just a few examples, I would have much more. But I was able to / I can compare these IEMs myself with my N30 and I can't understand these ratings for the life of me. Just as an example: for me, the CP622B is clearly the weakest in the areas of Soundstage & Imaging and Layering & Staging vs at least Mentor, Raven, Rn6 and Anni. Raven definitely has more Layering & Staging than Mentor (with Mentor being maybe a little more holographic). Raven also has notably more detail & resolution than Mentor (contrary to what you wrote), etc. etc. (I could also give examples about Rn6 and Anni).

I'm completely confused. I could understand the previous version better. So what has changed?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MrRNemgcXxJYd7vXWhUNV_Rb6spZJKNy/htmlview

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #88,631 of 89,623
Please let’s refrain from making statements like this: Music is subjective and because something you like isn’t shared by others doesn’t make them “incapable” to realize how deep it is.
It simply resonates differently with them, if at all.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #88,632 of 89,623
@Damz87

Can you tell me which source you are using? A lot has changed in this latest version and I just can't figure it out. For example, Raven was right at the top, and now even behind the Rn6. Mentor is at the top again. The CP622B has 10 in Soundstage & Imaging and Layering & Staging and Mentor is supposed to be better than Raven.

These are just a few examples, I would have much more. But I was able to / I can compare these IEMs myself with my N30 and I can't understand these ratings for the life of me. Just as an example: for me, the CP622B is clearly the weakest in the areas of Soundstage & Imaging and Layering & Staging vs at least Mentor, Raven, Rn6 and Anni. Raven definitely has more Layering & Staging than Mentor (with Mentor being maybe a little more holographic). Raven also has notably more detail & resolution than Mentor (contrary to what you wrote), etc. etc. (I could also give examples about Rn6 and Anni).

I'm completely confused. I could understand the previous version better. So what has changed?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MrRNemgcXxJYd7vXWhUNV_Rb6spZJKNy/htmlview

This is why ranking lists shouldn't be taken seriously unless it's your own, and why I don't advertise or talk about my one anymore. I use it purely to track what I've heard, with my music, my preferences, my sources, my ear anatomy, my volume levels, my cables...

If it doesn't make sense to you or you don't agree with it, then maybe its best not to look at it to save you any confusion.

May 9, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #88,633 of 89,623
This is why ranking lists shouldn't be taken seriously unless it's your own, and why I don't advertise or talk about my one anymore. I use it purely to track what I've heard, with my music, my preferences, my sources, my ear anatomy, my volume levels, my cables...

If it doesn't make sense to you or you don't agree with it, then maybe its best not to look at it to save you any confusion.

I did an A/B test yesterday. I personally would say the U12T has better staging than Anni 2023 :beyersmile: It's like the only thing my precious U12T has left against the onslaught of the Anni 2023. The Anni makes the the "technical performance" of U12T mid-fi. If I don't put them side by side, they are fine, when I compare them side by side, my wallet feels the pain.

May 9, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #88,634 of 89,623

All good, really... I was just curious if anything had changed for you (source or similar), as the differences from the last version are pretty clear.

Please excuse me, it really wasn't meant as criticism, it was just curiosity.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #88,635 of 89,623
@Damz87

For me on imaging and layering (or separation) the CP622B is currently the best I have heard, so im not surprised.

To bad the name and the shape (although the shape is perfect for me) hold it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back