The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6,512 of 7,980
Quote:
     The trouble with SLA machines for makeing "shells" for CIEMs is that the machines can only print a limited amount of colors. Reportedly they are, red, blue, clear and white. You certainly could not make "gold nugget" CIEMs with SLA equipment.

Is it possible to use an SLA shell as the matrix for the CIEM mould? Then again, that would probably drive costs up to, or over, how things are currently done, wouldn't it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #6,515 of 7,980
Quote:
Is it possible to use an SLA shell as the matrix for the CIEM mould? Then again, that would probably drive costs up to, or over, how things are currently done, wouldn't it.

I think the point is to use a semi-soft colloid material so that the shells can be retrieved from the mold, otherwise the bends of the canal and everything else would make it tough to separate shell from mold.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #6,516 of 7,980
Quote:
Did you just post pictures of a universal 8.A?

Request storm in 3,2,1...

Quote:
If you plan to sell those 8ai, I plan to buy...

Quote:
On behalf of Team Tokyo (rather, a bunch of Head-Fiers who live in Japan), I want to put my hand up for a loaner pair for the May Fujiya Avic show. 
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Can I have a pair of those? Just asking....

Quote:
Yea this is actually interesting. Is it possible to order a pair of universal 8a ?

Quote:
me threee!!! hahaha

Don't mean to brag, but...

I totally called it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #6,518 of 7,980
I think the point is to use a semi-soft colloid material so that the shells can be retrieved from the mold, otherwise the bends of the canal and everything else would make it tough to separate shell from mold.

That crossed my mind too, but if the mould is silicone, a hard matrix should be removable. Otherwise what is Heir doing with all those acrylic matrices they're storing for their customers?

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #6,519 of 7,980
This thread needs pictures 
etysmile.gif

I will do a review of the 5.0 vs 4.Ai soon

Feel free to ask questions in the mean time. I will try to my best to give a few impressions.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #6,521 of 7,980
I dont know that the others are saying about the 5.0 (havent read their impressions) so this is honestly what I think between the two,

- The 5.0 has a stronger bass and it runs much deeper than the 4.Ai. There is more depth and songs feel fuller. 

- The mids of the 5.0 are veiled and slightly more laid back than the 4.Ai. I wouldnt say it bad but it definitely suits people who wants a mellow and 'slow' midrange. It definitely shines with romantic voices.

- The 4.Ai is definitely more airy and transparent than the 5.0.

- I cant compare the imaging and clarity between the two as I havent done any extensive listening. Soundstage would be similar.

I feel the 4.Ai is more versatile than the 5.0 in handling a variety of genres (from classical to metal). The 5.0 just sounds a little too weird for me with classical and instrumental tracks. Pianos just doesnt seem to sound right due to the veiled nature of the midrange. Both sound pretty good with vocals but go with the 5.0 if you are fine with it being mellowed and 'slow'.

The 8.0 has the best of both worlds though. Too bad I sold it to fund for other stuffs 
triportsad.gif
. Kind of missed it actually..

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6,522 of 7,980
Quote:
I dont know that the others are saying about the 5.0 (havent read their impressions) so this is honestly what I think between the two,

- The 5.0 has a stronger bass and it runs much deeper than the 4.Ai. There is more depth and songs feel fuller. 

- The mids of the 5.0 are veiled and slightly more laid back than the 4.Ai. I wouldnt say it bad but it definitely suits people who wants a mellow and 'slow' midrange. It definitely shines with romantic voices.

- The 4.Ai is definitely more airy and transparent than the 5.0.

- I cant compare the imaging and clarity between the two as I havent done any extensive listening. Soundstage would be similar.

I feel the 4.Ai is more versatile than the 5.0 in handling a variety of genres (from classical to metal). The 5.0 just sounds a little too weird for me with classical and instrumental tracks. Pianos just doesnt seem to sound right due to the veiled nature of the midrange. Both sound pretty good with vocals but go with the 5.0 if you are fine with it being mellowed and 'slow'.

The 8.0 has the best of both worlds though. Too bad I sold it to fund for other stuffs 
triportsad.gif
. Kind of missed it actually..

Looks like the 4.ai is perfect for me then.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #6,523 of 7,980
Sorry guys, I didn't want to make a whole new topic for this question...  I'm probably just paranoid and I don't want to bug the nice guys at Heir anymore...  I am doing a warranty transfer on some 3a's.  I sent my impressions and the iems to San Diego in Feb, and Branan confirmed that they shipped out to China on March 3rd.  Sunny said they would let me know when they arrived in China... but I have not heard anything yet...  I am assuming I probably won't get an email from Heir until they actually start working on them, as to not emphasize how long it takes from the time they receive them to the time they begin work? (maybe thats a cynical assumption).  But it's been a bit of time... is this pretty normal?  Any SWAG on when I might expect them to be completed?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #6,524 of 7,980
Quote:
Sorry guys, I didn't want to make a whole new topic for this question...  I'm probably just paranoid and I don't want to bug the nice guys at Heir anymore...  I am doing a warranty transfer on some 3a's.  I sent my impressions and the iems to San Diego in Feb, and Branan confirmed that they shipped out to China on March 3rd.  Sunny said they would let me know when they arrived in China... but I have not heard anything yet...  I am assuming I probably won't get an email from Heir until they actually start working on them, as to not emphasize how long it takes from the time they receive them to the time they begin work? (maybe thats a cynical assumption).  But it's been a bit of time... is this pretty normal?  Any SWAG on when I might expect them to be completed?

Thanks

I got an email as soon as mine arrived in China (it did take a few weeks for that to happen though). Just shoot them an email, it's always possible that they forgot to email you, or it was eaten by a spam filter or something.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,525 of 7,980
Quote:

I got an email as soon as mine arrived in China (it did take a few weeks for that to happen though). Just shoot them an email, it's always possible that they forgot to email you, or it was eaten by a spam filter or something.

Thanks!  Did you send to CA first?  You don't recall offhand how many weeks that was do you?

Sorry, and thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back