They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #331 of 367
Yes, those things are what I was referring to. Thanks for the extended summary.

Is that a Charizard?

No idea. The whole rug design is of something along the lines of a forest. Probably meant to be a deer.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #332 of 367
I'm probably missing some stuffs but as you can see, research required to get them to sound right is probably more complicated than you thought it would be for floorstanders
As I stated previously, they have a lot more in common than most think...
There are hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of $1000+ speaker manufacturers in the world, and how many hi-end headphones manufacturers we have? Ten or fifteen? I think there is a reason for that.

Also, capitalism is not all about overpriced things. First of all, it means that if somebody could make similar thing for less, he would do it and sell it to get a profit. So, while I admit that $3000 headphones are very expensive, I can justify this purchase.

May 24, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #333 of 367
When will ADX5000 Enters this lineup~?

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #334 of 367
Empyrean, more so than other headphones I've had here, really do look their price.

Where in Sydney can I listen to a pair AND buy a pair of Meze Empyrean headphones today or tomorrow? My usual suppliers of Audio gear along these product lines (Minidisc and Addicted to Audio) do not stock it :frowning2:

EDIT: it must be the power of social media; Addicted to Audio have pulled a rabbit out of a hat and I am off to purchase a pair. Thank you everyone for for reviews and input❣️

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #335 of 367
I've enjoyed reading this thread, I didn't have the time to read every page but I got to around post 150 and skipped to around 260th, and read on from there. I have not heard the Focal Utopia and the Sennheiser HD800 but from what i've gathered, it seems that the Focal Utopia is quite a bit better. It makes me think that companies who's main area of expertise is designing and engineering top class speakers, might just have the upper-hand in headphone design/engineering also. I would love to own the Focal Utopia, but with prices between $2,500 to $4,000 U.S.D for it, I think i'll pass on it.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #337 of 367
So currently Hek SE will be better than HEK v2 right?

In a very general sense yes. I’d argue that most would consider the HEKse to best the HEKv2 in most areas. I’ve seen a few people around here stick with their HEKv2 and opted not to upgrade. Probably a combination of cost factor and of course sound preferences. I much prefer the HEKse, but the HEKv2 is no slouch and is still a wonderful headphone.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #338 of 367
Maybe @Currawong may need to update the tiles with their successors sometimes, (SE and Ether)...
And of course, ADX5000 when~?

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #340 of 367
If looks could kill? My Meze Empyrean headphones on a bottle of Crystal Head Vodka (1.75 Ltr).
1_DSF9079 2048W-2.png

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #342 of 367
Sweet pic, dude!

Thanks Pete. Light from above and below the headphones, shining through the vodka bottle and reflecting off the Meze made for something I thought, as a novice photographer, looked quite incredible.

It honestly took a while to get that setup, plenty of time to enjoy some of the vodka :) I'm happy to post a couple more of my favourites in this series if there's any interest. I was very happy being able to create interesting and different looks that really capture the beauty of these incredible headphones.
2_DSF9016 2048W-2.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #344 of 367

Thanks to @AnakChan, Dan Clark and HiFiMan Japan I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks listening to and comparing these flagships.

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD800, modified with a bit of damping material internally, which tightens up the imaging a bit. Norne Audio cable.
MrSpeakers Ether Flow with DUM or Norne Audio cable (almost no difference in sound). (Review here)
Sony MDR-Z1R with Kimber Cable. (Review here)
Focal Utopia with Moon Audio Silver Dragon. (Review here)
HiFiMan HE1000 V2 with stock cable. (Review here)

Set-up:
Mac Mini with Audirvana Plus, TIDAL and Roon → iFi iUSB 3.0 → S/PDIF converter → Schiit Yggdrasil → ALO Audio Studio Six.

What has been apparent so far, only spending a couple of hours rotating through a few genres is how one moment a particular pair of headphones might nail it, and the others don't, switching tunes can turn things right around. Comparisons are evil in this way, as you find out more about what is wrong with a pair of headphones than anything.

Since the Z1R and Utopia arrived last night and I got right into listening with them, here is what I posted in the Z1R thread:

Updates and Links:

Focal Utopia and Ether Flow impressions.
Sony Z1R Frequency response graph.

Sony Z1R and TH900 graphs.
HiFiMan HE1000 V2 review.
Focal Utopia review
HiFiMan Susvara Review

2019:
Meze Empyrene
FYI, the HE1000 V2 review link is broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back