Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next?
Aug 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 56
I'll have some LCD-3's early this week to demo. I've also been thinking of offering someone with some mint T1 a straight trade for my mint LCD-2 but still not sure. I keep circling back to the HD800 in my mind thinking a Zues copper and warm dac could make them proper but who knows. If I could have the HD800 with PS1 bass and SM3 v2 vocals I'd be happy!

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #32 of 56
FYI, the HD800's are easily driven by the Lyr. To my ears, the HD800's sounded much better than the T1's running out of the Lyr. Not so the T1's. When I was using the Lyr as my primary amp, I would use the HD800 then my LCD'S and HE-500'S in that order.
Granted, part of the decision on the headphone was the music I was listening to. In my case, Indie, electronic, classical, and Jazz. 

Comfort wise, the HD800 and T1 are the most comfortable of the four. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:
FYI, the HD800's are easily driven by the Lyr. To my ears, the HD800's sounded much better than the T1's running out of the Lyr. Not so the T1's. When I was using the Lyr as my primary amp, I would use the HD800 then my LCD'S and HE-500'S in that order.
Granted, part of the decision on the headphone was the music I was listening to. In my case, Indie, electronic, classical, and Jazz. 

Comfort wise, the HD800 and T1 are the most comfortable of the four. 

The would probably sound better from my Lyr/Bifrost than they did when I owned them before and just had the Graham Slee Solo and uDac. I might have had the Concerto with them but can't recall. Any comments on how much difference replacing that stock cable makes? 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 56
If you trade your LCD2 for T1 you will not regret and yes I heard LCD3 at the recent NYC meet and they, unlike LCD2, sound better than T1 for me but I don't think the difference worth extra $700

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #37 of 56
$5k for the 009.. seriously? eff that! I could build a nice new rifle optics and and still have $2k for some nice cans at that price.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #38 of 56
do apologize for the suggestion, well the sr009 is an excelent HP if you have the correct setup such as a bladelius embla as it's DAC (preety dark DAC) and a blue hawaii as it's AMP because the sr009 is preety bright so the bladelius embla can tame it and the blue hawaii can add the body to the sr009 it's a great synergy
biggrin.gif
, hope you can find yourself a great HP to replace your LCD2 sir.. Goodluck
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #39 of 56
No worries, trying to find something that will not fight with the gear I already have and keep the cost a bit lower than that. Besides October is just 6 weeks away and I have much to do to prep for this years display! 

I should have the loaner LCD-3 today so we'll see how those are.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #41 of 56
The older LCD-2 Rev 2 and LCD-3 have a blurring problem.  The sound becomes muffled and the detail is extremely limited.  The current batch of LCD-2 and especially the LCD-3 ( August 2012 ) sound awesome.  The LCD-3 being a definite upgrade to the LCD-2 Rev 2.  If your demo a set of LCD-3 headphones and do not hear an increase in speed as well as detail over the LCD-2 then there may be an issue with the demo LCD-3.  I remain a skeptic of the LCD-2 / LCD-3, but the ones I currently am testing are amazing.  The LCD-3 that I have is by far the quickest and most non-blurred LCD product I have heard to date.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 56
Got the LCD-3 loaner yesterday and did some A/B testing between that and mine for a couple hours. I def like the LCD-3 better. Much more coherent with more space around the instruments and greater clarity overall. Basically the LCD-2 but much cleaner. Female vocals are drool worthy, I'll have to get a pair of these when funds permit, they certainly seem like a fun headphone but I'm not sure the improvement is worth 2x the price.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:
Got the LCD-3 loaner yesterday and did some A/B testing between that and mine for a couple hours. I def like the LCD-3 better. Much more coherent with more space around the instruments and greater clarity overall. Basically the LCD-2 but much cleaner. Female vocals are drool worthy, I'll have to get a pair of these when funds permit, they certainly seem like a fun headphone but I'm not sure the improvement is worth 2x the price.

I agree that the LCD-3s are better. But in this range price to performance is not linear. Here are my thoughts in case you're interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

As well, while I found the Lyr a fantastic amp for the LCD-2s, I really found it didn't synergize very well at all with the LCD-3s. They are harder to find the right "magic" with an amp than the LCD-2s.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #44 of 56
Something between the LCD2's and HD800's = a used Stax Sr-007 MK1 (preferred over the MKII). And to anyone who says electrostatic headphones have no bass, have never heard a proper Stax rig/combo and don't know what they are talking about.

0.02c

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:
Something between the LCD2's and HD800's = a used Stax Sr-007 MK1 (preferred over the MKII). And to anyone who says electrostatic headphones have no bass, have never heard a proper Stax rig/combo and don't know what they are talking about.

0.02c

They might have bass, but not even the BHSE and 009 feel as impactful as orthos for certain genres.

I think this has been "agreed" on by some stax mafia zealots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back