Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 5, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,032 of 5,203

Using Win7 PC Tidal app, with passthrough, but my Meridian Explorer does not light up (blue).

The same album in Roon lights up Blue/White/White

Strange... at 48kHz/24bit I get all three LEDs.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,033 of 5,203

All Three Major Labels, Pandora and RIAA Announce

Support for Hi-Res Audio Streaming

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7647454/major-labels-pandora-riaa-announce-support-hi-res-streaming-mqa

2017 could be a good year for us....shape of things to come if it takes off?
even at CES there is supposed to be some 'high res' music booth that is
made of up people from various companies involved in trying to promote it and make it more mainstream.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #3,034 of 5,203
Tidal MQA works, but only through ROON...

I tried the new Masters using the Windows desktop, but could not get my Meridian Explorer2 to light up. So I tagged the new MQA albums in Tidal, switched to Roon, resynced to Tidal. Now I get the three LEDs to light up on the DAC, and play MQA.

Listening for a while before deciding on SQ improvements.

EDIT:
Van Morrison's Moondance: the LED lights show Blue/White/White. Other albums show just Blue/White

OK.. I got Windows Tidal to play through my Explorer2 DAC... it's in the DAC settings   Setup>Streaming>DAC...

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #3,035 of 5,203
new and interesting from Chord:
Poly: wireless streaming module
Wireless streaming module
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/poly/

new related threads on them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-add-on-microsd-and-advanced-wireless-module-for-mojo#post_13145452

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831348/chord-announces-poly-hugo-2-and-blu-mkii-ces-2017#post_13145488
wonder if it'll work for Tidal, too....

for poly: Poly will be available later this year for £499 GBP.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,036 of 5,203
I was really glad to hear about the arrival of MQA to Tidal. It seems like it was a long while ago since they first announced that Tidal going in that direction. 

The only thing is that though they are highlighting the 30,000 tracks available in Master quality, I can only find about a hundred or so under the Masters section in What's New. Are the rest being rolled out over time or am I missing some other section where the other Masters quality tracks are located?

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,038 of 5,203
When I stream a master album, the bit-depth always resorts to 32-bit rather than 24-bit (shown on Audio midi on my macbook). Not sure why this is the case. I'm using the mimby so a non-MQA compatible dac.

Is anyone having this problem?

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,039 of 5,203
what Dacs are you using for mqa? My schiit bf wont do it

My modi is working for it... when it actually works.  Only way to get windows 10 to recognize it is to plug it in during a reboot just as the windows loading screen ends, and then about 60% of the time it will work.  

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #3,041 of 5,203
I have no way of confirming the bitrate but the MQA pass through mode makes music. If it is sending 24/96 to the Modi I assume that is what it is outputting

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #3,042 of 5,203
I have a Bifrost Uber connected through toslink.

I use VB audio hi-fi cable to avoid any windows or soundcard processing.

What settings should I use for output? 24bit, 96khz?

Should I enable passthrough? I did, and music is playing fine, with the master's icon lit up.

It evne works directly without using VB Hifi software. Have my spdif output set to 24bit 96khz.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,043 of 5,203
Anything above 24/96 should be fine. You just want to avoid downsampling

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,044 of 5,203
Guyys this is big improvement I am totally blown away how good is that. I can't say it, just maybe comparing it with something I never tried like sitting in the newest Lamborghini..... It's how the sound is intended, it's so steril and nice wooow. I didn't click this tick that passthrough because it disable software decoding which I think is not okay to have. I just have exclusive mode ticked. I really need to write feedback to Tidal. and @canali you're right 

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,045 of 5,203
Why use software decoding, as opposed to allowing your DAC to do it?
Either way, I agree, the audio difference is quite discernable, more so than going from Spotify Premium to Tidal Hifi; Master's sounds very spacious and pure. I heard it instantly.

Amount of content is low...not too many albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back