Topping A90
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #511 of 1,442
No. Topping is trying to prove that THX is nothing special according to A90, A50s, L30 etc.. designer. :)
Its us audiophiles or consumers are being treated as marketing victim and us as audiofools. Easy to convince and deceive as the so call "The Next Best Thing"

Interesting to see A90 vs HPA-4... who is the winner in sound quality.

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #512 of 1,442
No. Topping is trying to prove that THX is nothing special according to A90, A50s, L30 etc.. designer. :)
It was proven already that THX is just a clever marketing supported by weak patents. A base of a technology (a part that matters) is the same in Topping A90. Actually none of them deliver high-end sound quality. These are mass consumer products after all; overpriced, overhyped, focusing on best measurements. For something special and a balance between sound quality and measurements you should look at non-feedback class A amplifiers like Master 19 or a forthcoming price smashing product like this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-a-2-class-a-headphone-amp-pre.936297/
A2s.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #513 of 1,442
It was proven already that THX is just a clever marketing supported by weak patents. A base of a technology (a part that matters) is the same in Topping A90. Actually none of them deliver high-end sound quality. These are mass consumer products after all; overpriced, overhyped, focusing on best measurements. For something special and a balance between sound quality and measurements you should look at non-feedback class A amplifiers like Master 19 or a forthcoming price smashing product like this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-a-2-class-a-headphone-amp-pre.936297/
A2s.JPG
Audio-gd isn't exactly the pinnacle either :triportsad: I'd much rather buy Schiit than audio-gd for a transistor/class A approach.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #514 of 1,442
A2s.JPG
Even if that is true, you cant compare single wire gain, pure THX amplifier to Class A amplifier, different sound approach.

Yes, mass consumer still believes measurements are everything to sound quality. What do you think about HPA-4 using THX topology against A90 ?

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #515 of 1,442
Even if that is true, you cant compare single wire gain, pure THX amplifier to Class A amplifier, different sound approach.

Yes, mass consumer still believes measurements are everything to sound quality. What do you think about HPA-4 using THX topology against A90 ?
If it is true as you assume provisionally to my favour, then that's all, finished. THX is non-working part of technology, the other (working) part is common with Topping. Listening tests should confirm it sooner or later. So far reported differences are to small to bother. Ask Topping in private, they will tell you the same.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #516 of 1,442
Interesting to see A90 vs HPA-4... who is the winner in sound quality.
And assuming the $3K Benchmark HPA-4 wins over the $500 A90, that proves what? (Especially since it is unlikely an objective listener would find the HPA-4 was anywhere near six times as good.) FWIW, a reviewer with a decent track record (i.e., not some anonymous guy on a forum) did exactly that: he tested the A90 against his personal HPA-4, which he loves. He found that they were essentially equal except the HPA-4 had a relatively small edge in sound stage.

FWIW, I have not heard the A90 and really have no desire to get one over my Liquid Platinum. I'm just a little tired of certain posters on an apparent crusade against Topping and other companies for having the audacity to design and sell audio gear while based in China. (FWIW, I do have the Topping D90 and am happy with it.)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #517 of 1,442
And assuming the $3K Benchmark HPA-4 wins over the $500 A90, that proves what? (Especially since it is unlikely an objective listener would find the HPA-4 was anywhere near six times as good.) FWIW, a reviewer with a decent track record (i.e., not some anonymous guy on a forum) matched the A90 against his personal HPA-4, which he loves. He found that they were essentially equal except the HPA=4 had a relatively small edge in sound stage.
And I dont find his finding accurate without any proper depth and evaluation between the two. How can he proved his impression to be accurate where there are nobody claim is as equally good. Overhype as usual.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #518 of 1,442
And I dont find his finding accurate without any proper depth and evaluation between the two. How can he proved his impression to be accurate where there are nobody claim is as equally good. Overhype as usual.
Curious if you own an A90 to make the claim that it’s overhyped? I’ve owned an A90 and it held its own against something 7x more expensive (XI formula S). A90 sounded great to my ears. If the A90 had a better designed casing I would’ve kept it as a spare amp for the office. But since I wasn’t planning to use it often, it was better served going to another owner. He also loves the A90.

I used XLR input so the RCA issues people are reporting about didn’t matter to me.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #521 of 1,442
Curious if you own an A90 to make the claim that it’s overhyped? I’ve owned an A90 and it held its own against something 7x more expensive (XI formula S). A90 sounded great to my ears. If the A90 had a better designed casing I would’ve kept it as a spare amp for the office. But since I wasn’t planning to use it often, it was better served going to another owner. He also loves the A90.

I used XLR input so the RCA issues people are reporting about didn’t matter to me.
Its indeed over hype. Over hype is not really the same meaning overrated. Yes its good, and good things can be over hype as well. So let me ask you this, do you think the XI formula S is overrated ? How does it sounds like ?

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #522 of 1,442
Its indeed over hype. Over hype is not really the same meaning overrated. Yes its good, and good things can be over hype as well. So let me ask you this, do you think the XI formula S is overrated ? How does it sounds like ?
Overrated compared to what? What’s the benchmark to compare it to?

Does the XI perform as I expect it to? Yes.
Does the A90 perform to my expectations? Yes.

Is the XI overpriced? Highly subjective, but I would say yes since the A90 performs almost as well for a fraction of the cost. But for some people performance isn’t everything. There’s also a design/appeal element.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #523 of 1,442
Overrated compared to what? What’s the benchmark to compare it to?

Does the XI perform as I expect it to? Yes.
Does the A90 perform to my expectations? Yes.

Is the XI overpriced? Highly subjective, but I would say yes since the A90 performs almost as well for a fraction of the cost. But for some people performance isn’t everything. There’s also a design/appeal element.
Nothing really. Am just there are a difference saying overrated and over hype. The A90 is not overrated. Benchmark ? that depends such as THX competitors or price range. Anyway, how the XI sounds ?

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #524 of 1,442
Nothing really. Am just there are a difference saying overrated and over hype. The A90 is not overrated. Benchmark ? that depends such as THX competitors or price range. Anyway, how the XI sounds ?
I’ve compared to my WA22 and I prefer the XI much more with the susvara. Most likely due to the WA22 not pushing the susvara to the limits. But for other headphones like my Verite, I prefer the WA22. I expected the susvara/XI pairing to be neutral and it does as I expect it to.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #525 of 1,442
The claims of hype and over-hype are getting monotonous. You made your point. Topping. Hype. Got it. If there's new information to add, great. Would love to hear more from people doing firsthand comparisons with the A90 rather than the blanket attacks on Topping and the integrity and acumen of the entire audiophile community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back