tube help
Jul 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
Wondering if I can get some ideas for tube selection for my Audio Note P2SE amplifier. This is an 18 watt class A amp driving the K1000. It uses two 6SL7 (input tubes) and four 6L6/5881 output tubes. Currently I'm using with
  1. 6SL7: Tung-Sol 6SL7 GT
  2. 6L6: Philips ECG 6L6WGB

At one point I was using this with Sovtek 6SL7 GT input tubes, but one of those broke. I had the Tung-Sol on hand, but I think I prefer the Sovtek.. smoother top end. (With the K1000 and a digital source you really want a smooth top end.) I'm wondering where's a good place to get more of those Sovtek.

Also seeking recommendations for other possible input tubes.
Thanks,
Mike

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Good to see you around, Mike! I don't have a huge amount of experience tuberolling 6SL7s, but you should check out the Zana Deux tube thread. People have gone through a *lot* of them and you should find plenty of recommendations. I've got a bunch of RCA 6SL7s around. Nothing fancy, but I've been happy with them.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I did some very extensive 6SL7 tube rolling with my Cary phono preamp. Are the Tung-Sols you have the Russian "re-issues"? If so I don't like them either. I never tried the Sovteks.

My very favorite are the Mullard ECC35, but those are very expensive, and hard to find. The Brimar 6SL7GT seem to be the favorite of many Zana owners, and I like those a lot too. I slightly prefer the Tung-Sol black, glass, round plate JAN CTL 6SL7GT. And even better is the Tung Sol 6SU7GTY, which is also black-glass round-plate (the 6SU7 is just a tightly selected 6SL7).

The Tall bottle Sylvanias are pretty good, and so are the gray-glass RCA's. I never really liked the 5961 all that much, but some people must, because they're pretty expensive.

There are a LOT of 6SL7 variants, as Uncle Erik pointed out. I actually think the majority of the US and UK made ones are pretty good. I never liked the Russian variants at all.

Hope that helps.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
As I remember, can you use 7N7 with adapter in place of 6SL7? Mybe I am worng.

The loctal equivalent of the 6SL7 is the 7F7, not the 7N7 (the 7N7 = 6SN7)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back