UE Tripple.fi 10 and Westone ES cable question
Mar 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 36
I've got the black cable with memory wire on my T.fis and the clear cable with memory wire on my S.fis. Both are fine for me. Do the UEs in the UK and Europe come with different cable or do we in the USA just have tougher ears?
redface.gif

Dave

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it wasnt for the memory wire i wouldnt have been able to use the UE TF 10!!

Eactly.

What do you guys with soft wires do???

Dave

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it wasnt for the memory wire i wouldnt have been able to use the UE TF 10!!

Which is part of the fault with the design.

Other designs don't need them to help keep them in. The Triple.fi is just too big.

They will never disappear like others. Nobody will say they forget they are wearing them. And if you wear glasses it doesn't help.

@Dave. Have you been outside with them. They stiffen horribly in the cold and they are more microphonic and bone conducting in general than others.

Soft wires work fine. Some stay just fine, except for the Etys, which are not designed for over the ear wear. If your are more active you may need to use the draw. Though it would be best to use the draw in exercise situations with any phone as not to get them caught on anything.

If you haven't tried others you may not know the difference. The Westone comfort rep. and UE cable complaints are both numerous. Of course YMMV and if one has no problem than more power to ya'.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #21 of 36
The SE530 don't have nearly as flexible cable as Westone IEMs.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 36
I sampled the E500 at the time. I think it is too big also, at least for me. That hurts and the kevlar reinforced cables are not as supple as the Westone like Tony described.

The problem is that these are old designs. Now we have dual drivers that are the size of a medium tip. The newer design should be better since the new armatures are so much smaller. Though UE and Shure won't have new models for some time.

The newest UE(Super.fi 4) is much smaller and I believe it has no memory wire.
Eventually, the memory wire might be totally absent from the big three. People who want it will need to go with Klipsch or Sennheiser in the future. Just speculation though. I personally don't like that the UE didn't use replaceable cables for the 4.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #24 of 36
The replaceable cable was a good idea on UE's part, but I noticed after a while the connection on my Super .fi's was no longer tight and strong. All I ever did with it was change cables once, and flip-flop mod them, and the driver came off the cable a couple times after that. I've spoken to others who had this same issue. Unacceptable.

May 14, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a memory wire?

It's the hard, flexible bit of that extends from the driver housing. You bend it to fit over your ear and the wire "remembers" the shape - hence the term "memory wire"

May 14, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a memory wire?

It is simply a thin wire inserted in the last 2-3 inches of the wire ends that attaches to the actual ear piece. It is thin enough to allow you to "mold" it to any shape, but stiff enough to "remember" that shape - hence the term memory wire. Some people don't like to have this, but I am one of those who do likes this type of wire/cable
wink.gif

Will

May 14, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 36
i believe that part of the ex-90 is just reinforcing wire so they wont separate easily from the buds. :]

May 15, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 36
LOL, as far as I know, memory wires are only found on earphones that were designed for the wires to be worn "over the ear". I don't think the Sony EX90 qualifies
biggrin.gif
That's just the cable stress reliever, not memory wire
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back