ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Feb 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #362 of 2,431
Sig pro came out this december and not many people have them yet.

Out of those minority, there are even fewer people having edition 8.

In my ears, their highs are quite harsh, but not as harsh as t5p or the edition 8. (I only tried both of them for like 10 min only though.)

The bass, and mids are phenomenal. It's just the highs that could hurt, but from reading a review from a korean website, highs become relaxed when better amped. From my c421, I don't hear much of a difference tho.

I used prolly less than 10 hrs, so there should be more detailed explanation from others.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #363 of 2,431
Feb 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #364 of 2,431
Just picked up my new Signature Pro's. 

Been listening for about 2 hours now. Very detailed sound, great bass and they sound a bit dark. I have to say that there are sibilance straight out of the box.
Hopefully that will go away after they get som burn-in. 

To me they sound better than the Beyerdynamic T1's.

Btw I'm using it with my Wavelenght Audio Proton.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #365 of 2,431

Quote:
I found it harsh as well, though I didn't have a prolonged listening session, and it was straight of an ipone and then with a fio.

Our ears are all different, so using other headphones as guideposts is the only way to really communicate effectively. I'm just a bit baffled that someone could hear the Signature Pro as being "harsher than the SRH940," which is one of the harshest and most relentless sub-$1000 headphones I've ever listened to. The same person then says the Signature Pro isn't as harsh as the Edition 8, which implies that the Edition 8 is even harsher still than the SRH940.

I'm not saying they're wrong, obviously. I just have a difficult time squaring such impressions with my own. I don't think the Edition 8 would be as popular as it is if it were genuinely harsher sounding than the SRH940, tbh. Look at the Edition 10 and how much that gets dumped on for its sibilance.

I'm thinking it could just boil down to some really odd source material mismatch, or maybe some bad variation in Ultrasone's QC a la Audez'e as of late.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #366 of 2,431

Quote:
Our ears are all different, so using other headphones as guideposts is the only way to really communicate effectively. I'm just a bit baffled that someone could hear the Signature Pro as being "harsher than the SRH940," which is one of the harshest and most relentless sub-$1000 headphones I've ever listened to. The same person then says the Signature Pro isn't as harsh as the Edition 8, which implies that the Edition 8 is even harsher still than the SRH940.

I'm not saying they're wrong, obviously. I just have a difficult time squaring such impressions with my own. I don't think the Edition 8 would be as popular as it is if it were genuinely harsher sounding than the SRH940, tbh. Look at the Edition 10 and how much that gets dumped on for its sibilance.

I'm thinking it could just boil down to some really odd source material mismatch, or maybe some bad variation in Ultrasone's QC a la Audez'e as of late.

Maybe the signature pro is changing through its run-in period- -, and at the time you listened to the highs was harsh
Sometimes the highs of signature pro grew harsh and fatigue to me during the run-in period(when I continuously listening it for a long time say 10 hours- -), let's see how it'll turn to be- -

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #367 of 2,431

Quote:
Maybe the signature pro is changing through its run-in period- -, and at the time you listened to the highs was harsh
Sometimes the highs of signature pro grew harsh and fatigue to me during the run-in period(when I continuously listening it for a long time say 10 hours- -), let's see how it'll turn to be- -

That's definitely a possibility. I don't believe in burn-in much myself (or at least that it's as pronounced as some people think), but a lot of people experience the effects quite profoundly with Ultrasone. It's possible some of those hearing the Signature Pro as harsh are experiencing the burn-in effect themselves, whatever the cause of the effect may be.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #368 of 2,431

Quote:
That's definitely a possibility. I don't believe in burn-in much myself (or at least that it's as pronounced as some people think), but a lot of people experience the effects quite profoundly with Ultrasone. It's possible some of those hearing the Signature Pro as harsh are experiencing the burn-in effect themselves, whatever the cause of the effect may be.

Some of my friends found me turning the volume quite loud when listening to songs.
Using my 15V stepdance, input from the 0404usb, I usually turn past 12pm @low gain
I usually play songs(@the same time do the run-in) at this volume, and sometimes I may find the highs is harsh
At lower volume, say@11am, I am happy and comfortable to listen to the songs, well at that volume I don't think you'll get the full soundstage, but it is very comfortable to listen to music at night time.

Throughout the run-in, (mine has passed 800hours, but I still think the signature pro may need some more time)
I've experienced a few times, harsh highs->not so harsh->soft highs->not so soft->harsh highs...
same thing happened to the bass
Oh, I forgot to mention, I remembered at my 300-500hours time, the signature pro sounds really harsh to me to listen to most of the songs.
At those hours to be frank, I was not so happy with my signature pro

Hope you have another time to try another with some more run-in

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #369 of 2,431
I haven't heard the Signature Pro yet, but I have had both the Ed. 8 and SRH940. I don't recall the Ed 8 as ever being harsh. The SRH940, on the other hand, is very detailed with treble emphasis and does occasionally sound harsh. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #370 of 2,431
Well, I used about 10hrs now. It's funny because I don't believe in burn-in, but the harsh sounding disappeared a bit right now. I feel like it's more of a brain getting used to the sound.

Straight out of the box, it did really hurt my hears. I don't know if I can call this harsh, but it had a lot of sibilance. (I heard so much of a sh. sh... sh... sh.. sound.)

Then I realized it may be the S-logic system that I wasn't used to. Or maybe the music quality wasn't on par with the headphone and the amp. 

The songs that I got a lot of sh... sound was Moves like a jagger and trouble maker (k-pop). They were 320kb. (I think that's good enough quality to be honest.)

I A-B compared them to SRH940, and 940 had a bit more treble, but less of that sh.. sound.

Mid and bass are exceptional, probably the best I've heard. (right ahead of HD650.)

By the way, I only heard T5p and Edtion8 ten minutes each, straight out from my i-pod, so I can compare those two.

In my opinion, they are the best closed headphone out in the market. I still don't think it worth 1200$ tho. (or even 850$, the price RMC audio sells for)

The sound for sig pro is great, but I finally realized headphone is just a headphone. Now my ears will never be surprised like the old times when I first blissfully heard SRH940 and HD650. (not saying they are better. I can clearly state that Sig pro is better than them overall. Sig pro isn't better at every category but sig pros are overall better phone.)

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #371 of 2,431
Here are few headphones that I had/have.

SRH940, HD650, D2000, HD25 1-2, IE8, SM3.

Just to clarify what my background before listening to sig pro is like.

If anybody can, can you kindly A-B the sound with the amp and without?

The review I read states that sig pros could sound harsh without the proper amp. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #372 of 2,431

Quote:
Well, I used about 10hrs now. It's funny because I don't believe in burn-in, but the harsh sounding disappeared a bit right now. I feel like it's more of a brain getting used to the sound.

Straight out of the box, it did really hurt my hears. I don't know if I can call this harsh, but it had a lot of sibilance. (I heard so much of a sh. sh... sh... sh.. sound.)

Then I realized it may be the S-logic system that I wasn't used to. Or maybe the music quality wasn't on par with the headphone and the amp. 

The songs that I got a lot of sh... sound was Moves like a jagger and trouble maker (k-pop). They were 320kb. (I think that's good enough quality to be honest.)

I A-B compared them to SRH940, and 940 had a bit more treble, but less of that sh.. sound.

Mid and bass are exceptional, probably the best I've heard. (right ahead of HD650.)

By the way, I only heard T5p and Edtion8 ten minutes each, straight out from my i-pod, so I can compare those two.

In my opinion, they are the best closed headphone out in the market. I still don't think it worth 1200$ tho. (or even 850$, the price RMC audio sells for)

The sound for sig pro is great, but I finally realized headphone is just a headphone. Now my ears will never be surprised like the old times when I first blissfully heard SRH940 and HD650. (not saying they are better. I can clearly state that Sig pro is better than them overall. Sig pro isn't better at every category but sig pros are overall better phone.)

I would say maybe the low quality music hurt your ears- -, cause the signature pro is more revealing and you'll find a lot of micro details
Give you an example, I can hear the sound from releasing the piano's pedal directly straight from xk in some recordings

Some says that you may need at least 10 min to get familiar to the S-logic, while there's still some found the S-logic is not real enough

320kbps mp3 is not enough I think, use at least 320kbps m4a (ripped from cd) or if it will be much better to play lossless and even CD
About the price, some think an earphone doesn't worth a hundred, and same for the HP
To you do you think HD800 and T1 worth a thousand?
And would you use R10/ED9/D7k with unamped?

What the source/amp are you using now?

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #373 of 2,431
Just got my Sig Pros from Addicted to Audio out of Australia.. (Great guys btw). The headphones haven't wow-ed me out of the box, my comparison (as always) are my trusty Denon D7000s.. The Sig Pros are a tad bit sibilant (not as much as the Pro 900 or the Pro2900). Also overall much more balanced than the other headphones in the Pro line. 

Also regarding comfort.. not crazy about the headband seems kind of firm for me as do the ear pads (that could be from the clamping pressure - not used to much clamp from the D7000s - and I generally prefer velour to leather). Haven't listened to them for long. I'll have a better update/review once I get some more hours of listening and burn them in a bit.

I want to note that I agree with MuppetFace, not a huge believer in massive number of hours for burn in and big changes in sound (like sibilance disappearing or something).. But I do understand that hardware (drivers) do need to be worked in a bit so I'll let them run for about 50 hours before I start listening more critically..

But out of box impressions, very good, not great.

My scale: Meh<Good<Very Good<Great<Excellent<WOW

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #374 of 2,431
I listened to the signature pro through this combo iphone> algorhytm > sr71b >signature pro didn't find it harsh while I find the pro 900 and 2900 go through the same combo harsh as hell =.= haven't try it without amp so not really sure

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #375 of 2,431

Quote:

I would say maybe the low quality music hurt your ears- -, cause the signature pro is more revealing and you'll find a lot of micro details
Give you an example, I can hear the sound from releasing the piano's pedal directly straight from xk in some recordings

Some says that you may need at least 10 min to get familiar to the S-logic, while there's still some found the S-logic is not real enough

320kbps mp3 is not enough I think, use at least 320kbps m4a (ripped from cd) or if it will be much better to play lossless and even CD
About the price, some think an earphone doesn't worth a hundred, and same for the HP
To you do you think HD800 and T1 worth a thousand?
And would you use R10/ED9/D7k with unamped?

What the source/amp are you using now?

I never heard D7000/Ed9/R10, so I can't judge on that. I would use D2000 unamped. (the only one I tried among the denon series.)

I use Ipod -> C421 -> Sig pro. I had Clas, but it's not working atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back