Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jan 28, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #347 of 907

how do you mean you are pairing it with the Magni?  That would be double-amping...

I would imagine he means that he's pairing it with the Modi. It's a typo I myself have made before.

I too am also interested in what he's asking. My current setup is HD650s with a Modi and Vali. The Vali is good for its price, but I feel it's not driving the HD650s to their full potential. I'm considering upgrading to a Valhalla 2, but am rather concerned that the V2 would produce a rather lean, bright and bass-shy sound compared to an alternative such as the Bottlehead Crack.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #348 of 907

OK.  Then I don't know why you are not being satisfied with that combo of dac, amp, & headphones.  It's a great combo and a popular one among the cognoscenti here.  I'm not familiar with the Topping amp that you mentioned, but I would think the V2 superior anyway.  Not harsh at all, in my experience.  And burn-in is not a big deal, my V2 sounded super from the first minute I used it.  I'm buffaloed.  If the V2 isn't good for you I doubt the Crack would be a terribly different experience.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #349 of 907
.. I too am also interested in what he's asking. My current setup is HD650s with a Modi and Vali. The Vali is good for its price, but I feel it's not driving the HD650s to their full potential. I'm considering upgrading to a Valhalla 2, but am rather concerned that the V2 would produce a rather lean, bright and bass-shy sound compared to an alternative such as the Bottlehead Crack.

V2:  NOT NOT NOT lean, bright, bass-shy.  IS IS IS full, rich, full-spectrum, clear, strong, dimensional.  In my opinion, but also per reviews and per its measurements and specifications.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #353 of 907
OK.  Then I don't know why you are not being satisfied with that combo of dac, amp, & headphones.  It's a great combo and a popular one among the cognoscenti here.  I'm not familiar with the Topping amp that you mentioned, but I would think the V2 superior anyway.  Not harsh at all, in my experience.  And burn-in is not a big deal, my V2 sounded super from the first minute I used it.  I'm buffaloed.  If the V2 isn't good for you I doubt the Crack would be a terribly different experience.

Hmmm... Think there's a weak link somewhere? Modi or cables? I plugged the modi into the VX1 and it also sounded thin compared to the VX1s built in dac.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #355 of 907
Hmm.  Do you have a store or a friend or a meet-up where you can hear a "reference" setup, to compare?

Think there may be some stores...

Just listened to the 650s directly from the computers headphone jack and it also sounds fuller. Although I'm wondering if I'm not mistaking bloated sub bass for fullness. Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #356 of 907
I would love to do an A/B comparison with the V2 and Lyr 2. Anyone do one?

Not a real in depth comparison of those two, I did own both the V1 and Lyr 1 and in general I liked the Lyr better. Lower noise floor and more dynamic but not by much in either case, I liked both amps and would have been just as happy with the Valhalla as the Lyr. I ended up keeping the Lyr.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #357 of 907
Think there may be some stores...

Just listened to the 650s directly from the computers headphone jack and it also sounds fuller. Although I'm wondering if I'm not mistaking bloated sub bass for fullness. Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

I too have the Val 2 and HD650 combination. I use an iBasso dx90 as source/dac and before getting the Val 2 had previously been listening from headphone out to the senns. I wanted a bit more control and liquidity and opted for the Val 2. I too was initially a bit underwhelmed. The Val 2 didn't seem to add much unless I wanted to listen at very loud volumes, and I lost a bit of detail.
My main gripe though was with the bass. It wasn't that it was lacking, just really lost in the mix, kind of muddy with no edges. Mids and treble were perfect for me, not overly bright but certainly not veiled like the bass. Vocals were stunning, and I found myself listening to more and more vocal and acoustic based music rather than a lot of the low key electronic music that I like (Air, Boards of Canada etc).
So I thought I'd try some different tubes. Some vokshod 6n23ns helped a bit. I could make out those bass lines now!
And then last week a client of mine, who turned out to be a valve aficionado, gave me a pair of Mullard gold pin e88cc, I guess from the 70s.
Wow! I am listening now as I write this. They've not even had 10 hours on them yet, but the sound is back to full detail, warm, smooth, mercurial, with great bass depth and separation. The whole sound is just so cohesive and lovely.
I will do some comparisons with the stock tubes and just the iBasso again, just to check it's not just the amp and my ears getting used to each other. But I would say stick with it, try some different tubes and give it some more time. You sound like you like the sort of sound I think the Val 2 and HD650s can give you...

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #358 of 907
I too have the Val 2 and HD650 combination. I use an iBasso dx90 as source/dac and before getting the Val 2 had previously been listening from headphone out to the senns. I wanted a bit more control and liquidity and opted for the Val 2. I too was initially a bit underwhelmed. The Val 2 didn't seem to add much unless I wanted to listen at very loud volumes, and I lost a bit of detail.
My main gripe though was with the bass. It wasn't that it was lacking, just really lost in the mix, kind of muddy with no edges. Mids and treble were perfect for me, not overly bright but certainly not veiled like the bass. Vocals were stunning, and I found myself listening to more and more vocal and acoustic based music rather than a lot of the low key electronic music that I like (Air, Boards of Canada etc).
So I thought I'd try some different tubes. Some vokshod 6n23ns helped a bit. I could make out those bass lines now!
And then last week a client of mine, who turned out to be a valve aficionado, gave me a pair of Mullard gold pin e88cc, I guess from the 70s.
Wow! I am listening now as I write this. They've not even had 10 hours on them yet, but the sound is back to full detail, warm, smooth, mercurial, with great bass depth and separation. The whole sound is just so cohesive and lovely.
I will do some comparisons with the stock tubes and just the iBasso again, just to check it's not just the amp and my ears getting used to each other. But I would say stick with it, try some different tubes and give it some more time. You sound like you like the sort of sound I think the Val 2 and HD650s can give you...

Nice post. This is definitely how I'm feeling about the val2. I love the detail and separation it adds, just lacking some bottom end. Looking forward to your comparison. Know a good place to buy the Mullards? Are these for power or driver?

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #359 of 907
These are input valves ( the shorter ones). Don't really know a good recommendation to buy them from. I got very lucky! I did a search on eBay (to quantify how lucky I had been) and they do look rather expensive. Check out the Valhalla tube rolling thread for some more ideas.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back