Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jan 29, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #362 of 907
The standard 6N1P input tubes can be subbed out for any 6DJ8/6922/ECC88/ECC85/6BZ7 types, including NOS, cryo-treated, voodoo-blessed, hand-assembled by elves, etc. 

They're listed as rollable on the site. Some people have reported good results w/ ECC85 tubes over in the Lyr thread.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #364 of 907

...And burn-in is not a big deal, my V2 sounded super from the first minute I used it...

So I left the amp running all night, put maybe another 12 hours on it, and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound a bit fuller and less sibilant.  
confused.gif
   I even A-B'd with the Topping am finding less difference in the bottom end.  V2 definitely takes the cake for detail, soundstage, and clarity.  The bass is definitely more controlled on the V2 as well.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #365 of 907
The Cryoset 6N6P (Russian "6H6") I've been using the last 6 months started going bad - cracks and pops so put the stock output tubes back in.  They're quite a bit lower volume, I'd guess maybe 6-8dB.  Also much less texture and dynamics; I remember them being very similar, but now that I switched back the difference is quite obvious.  Ordered another set of the Cryoset 6H6 matched output tubes - at $29 plus postage ($9) it's a no-brainer IMO.

Really glad it wasn't the Telefunken E88CC input tubes...

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #367 of 907
The Cryoset 6H6 tubes?

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_76&products_id=296&osCsid=316a6b329a722c4ed75c53d49eecc831

Sorry if you were asking something else...

BTW, only one tube was going bad, but at the price I figured I'd replace them as a matched set...

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #368 of 907
I think you bought the last set they had!

I've got a lot of rolling ahead. Just starting to listen to my V2 and I've got a handful of tubes inbound.

Edit: scratch that, they're still there.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #369 of 907
So, I finally rolled some of my vintage Amperex 6922s (Orange PQ label) from my C-J Premier 17LS preamp into my Schiit Valhalla 2 today.

All I can say is "Whoa"! 
smiley-shocked032.gif

The amp sounded great with the stock JJs, but the Amperex 6922s take it to another level. I listened to a variety of music ranging from classical, medieval, jazz, rock with the Amperexes, and the improvement was across the board, both from the sound spectrum to the content. Most notably is that the music is much more fleshed-out, palpable, dimensional, and, for the lack of a better word, "tangible". The other major improvement is in the bass; I'm listening to HD600s and I've heard folks say that the HD600 is a bit bass-shy in the sub-bass. Well, not with this tube. The Amperex 6922 provides a full, solid, bass definition, articulation and power that is simply fabulous. Some of the content I was listening to was from the Atrium Musicae's classical music recording of "The Tarantula", a collection of medieval tarantellas. Many of the tracks have large drum instruments whose bass response goes quite low, and the 7308s reproduced this bass signature with power, definition, and beautiful articulation.  Also, organ bass is deeply rendered, and beautifully textured (Spiral2012, any issues you might have with bass on your Val 2 would be resolved using this tube; it packs quite a punch in the bass).

Those that have had some issues with the HD600s being a little too hot on the treble would love this tube; the 6922s are ever so slightly relaxed on top, which combined with the HD600s makes for almost perfect treble articulation and detail. By comparison to the 6922s, the stock JJs have a very slightly hard and glassy top end; the 6922s take this range and add detail but also sweetness and smoothness. It reminds me of going from a Dynaudio Esotec tweeter (which is no slouch) to a Dynaudio Esotar 2 tweeter (which is world-class); the top end is more detailed yet smooter and sweeter at the same time. 

And lastly, the mids. I've commented how the tube adds dimensionality and palpability to the presentation, but the entire midrange is more beautifully rendered; there's more natural and accurate timbral color, texture, and tonality, and a smoothness, liquidity and musical sweetness and beauty that reminds me of Harbeth 30.1 loudspeakers, which probably have the most beautiful midrange of any transducer I've ever heard. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

Those of you with Val 2s should really consider rolling these into your amp, especially if you're using Senn HD600s; they are absolutely wonderful. 

Available at Upscale Audio; they're pricey, but they take this head amp to entirely to another level. Just search for Amperex 6922. If you're interested, read the reviews. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #370 of 907

So I left the amp running all night, put maybe another 12 hours on it, and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound a bit fuller and less sibilant.  
confused.gif
   I even A-B'd with the Topping am finding less difference in the bottom end.  V2 definitely takes the cake for detail, soundstage, and clarity.  The bass is definitely more controlled on the V2 as well.

Glad to hear; tubes do take about 50-60 hours to burn in, and they will continue to improve after that. See my comments above Amperex 7308s if you want a revelatory experience with your Valhalla 2. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #371 of 907
I've asked this question on other forums and didn't get many replies, so I'll try again here.
I have a pair of HD 650s. Right now I'm running them through my Harmon Kardon 3380. I think I spent about 300 bucks for the receiver ten years ago. It does have enough power to drive my headphones. If I were to buy a Valhalla 2 amp and connect it directly to my phono preamp - I'd be bypassing the HK 3380 - would I get better sound?
Some suggested I audition the Valhalla, but buying one and then sending it back would be a hassle.
Thanks,
Randy

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #372 of 907
  I've asked this question on other forums and didn't get many replies, so I'll try again here.
I have a pair of HD 650s. Right now I'm running them through my Harmon Kardon 3380. I think I spent about 300 bucks for the receiver ten years ago. It does have enough power to drive my headphones. If I were to buy a Valhalla 2 amp and connect it directly to my phono preamp - I'd be bypassing the HK 3380 - would I get better sound?
Some suggested I audition the Valhalla, but buying one and then sending it back would be a hassle.
Thanks,
Randy

I read the specifications on your HK 3380. Unfortunately they do not give any specifications on the headphone amplifier section. The Valhalla 2 will give you 800mW into your HD 650s. Which may or may not be an improvement over your HK. However, as the Valhalla 2 is a purpose built headphone amplifier  I would be willing to bet you would hear an improvement.

You mention your phono preamp. By that, do you mean the preamp outputs of your HK? You could certainly drive your Valhalla 2 that way, and it would give you the advantage of the tone controls of your HK.

Any other questions? Just ask.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #374 of 907
  Mr. Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I have a Graham Slee turntable pre-amp that is separate from my HK 3380,

I use my headphones to listen to vinyl records.

Randy

Did you pay more for your GS then for your HK? LOL

Those are a very nice high end phono preamplifiers. In that case, I do think the Valhalla 2 would be a good match to your GS phono preamp.  Further, it will allow you to experience the "tube sound" that the Valhalla provides.

I'm currently listening to Mozart, Symphony #41 in C, and it sounds truly glorious into my HD 650s.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back