Want to find a balanced amp for Senn 650s + AKG K1000s -- Does it Exist?
Feb 12, 2007 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dcguy73

Formerly known as dc_guy
Looking for a balanced tubed amp (with balanced ins) with balanced headphone jacks that has good synergy with Senn 650s and AKG 701s...that also has speaker outs (or balanced headphone jacks) capable of driving the AKG K1000 to its full potential.

Am I dreaming or does such an item already exist? And who would the best person to go to if I were to custom-order such a beast?

Thanks!

--Marc

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 18
Yes, both of the well known Gilmore dynamic headphone amp designs (dynalo and dynahi) in balanced form (where they become known as the dynamid and dynamite) are well capable of driving the HD650 and K1000. I'm not sure who's building the hi/mite right now, so that might have to be a DIY venture. You can get the dynamid in the form of the Headamp GS-X, although it will be updated sometime soon with more powerful MOSFET based amplification that will drive the K1000 even more effortlessly than the dynamid design. I've heard my own dynamid with the K1000 on several occasions, and sounds very good, but the new GSX modules offer better bass control and punch.

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for a balanced tubed amp (with balanced ins) with balanced headphone jacks that has good synergy with Senn 650s and AKG 701s...that also has speaker outs (or balanced headphone jacks) capable of driving the AKG K1000 to its full potential.

Am I dreaming or does such an item already exist? And who would the best person to go to if I were to custom-order such a beast?

Thanks!

--Marc

Talk to Mikhail (Singlepower) about a balanced Extreme. From all reports, its been tried and works well with all of the headphones you've mentioned, yes, including the K1000.

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 18
IMO it would be very difficult to find one amp that will optimize both HD650 and K701/K1000. One can do it for K701 and K1000 b/c they are similar "enough" that tube rolling can steer the amp toward K701 or K1000, but no amount of tube rolling can then also make the HD650 sound great, not merely good.

Dynamight is certainly capable of sounding great with many 'phones, but IME it doesn't have the greatest synergy with K1000. I feel it's a better match with balanced HD650.

Something like B52 will sound good with all these 'phones, but I wouldn't necessarily feel like the perfect match has been achieved with them necessarily.

This is a tough one... Thank God, you didn't throw in a Grado in there as well.

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Looking for a balanced tubed amp...

Guys, he wants a balanced tube amp. There are a few solid state ones, but as far as I know, no commercial balanced tubed amps. It is possible, though.

There are a couple ways to go about getting one. You can take up a soldering iron and build your own. It's not as bad as it sounds; you'd just be building two amps, bridging them, and a few other relatively easy things. If you'd be comfortable building one amp, this would not be much of a stretch.

On the other hand, as has been suggested, you can talk to Singlepower or MisterX about a custom build. They're both good.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the responses, guys. Maybe I'm on the wrong track focusing on balanced amps for the K1000s. They're kind of in a different class. I guess I'll hold off on going balanced with my 650s and 701s before I figure out where to go with the K1000s.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 18
Singlepower Audio might be the way to go on this -- I have been talking with Mikhail from Singlepower about building a Frankenstein amp. The idea is it would have different stages in it that lowered or raised the power output of the tubes (which would range from 3-5 watts in Class A.) All I would need to do would be to flip a few switches to raise or lower the wattage. The K1000 output would be a 4-pin 120 ohm output iron.

Mikhail says he has made Frankenstein amps before for people looking for a single amp to serve multiple headphone needs. He can't remember offhand who bought/requested them.

I've also talked to Peter at McAlister audio, who is suggesting a single-ended 5-watt Class A tubed integrated amp with speaker outs on the back and headphone jacks on the front. This doesn't solve my balanced approach well, but it's an option. However, there are tons of single-ended Class A tubed amps out there -- few with headphone jacks (I can think of Cary 300B SEI...) I'm not sure if there's an advantage having this type of amp custom-made. I could buy a used mass-market Cary or Manley Labs or Cayin instead...

Not sure which route to go here...it'd be great to have a single (balanced) amp to do everything, but maybe that isn't reasonable below Ray Samuels B-52 type price levels.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

..."Mikhail says he has made Frankenstein amps before for people looking for a single amp to serve multiple headphone needs. He can't remember offhand who bought/requested them."...

It might be this two-stage gain, Extreme influenced with external PSU, amp.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be this two-stage gain, Extreme influenced with external PSU, amp.

And my future amp as well...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And my future amp as well...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Congratulations to the decision! A fine amplifier no doubt. What name do you have in mind? If I may ask?
wink.gif
[size=xx-small]Sorry for drifting away from the thread subject.[/size]

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Singlepower Audio might be the way to go on this -- I have been talking with Mikhail from Singlepower about building a Frankenstein amp. The idea is it would have different stages in it that lowered or raised the power output of the tubes (which would range from 3-5 watts in Class A.) All I would need to do would be to flip a few switches to raise or lower the wattage. The K1000 output would be a 4-pin 120 ohm output iron.

Check the Florida meet impressions thread (where the Extreme debuted)- I thought they tried just a bone stock Extreme with the K1000 and that it worked well with them...

Edit: BTW, PsychoZX (I think?) or someone has an Extreme Platinum-> K1000 setup now, you might want to hunt him down to see how it works.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: BTW, PsychoZX (I think?) or someone has an Extreme Platinum-> K1000 setup now, you might want to hunt him down to see how it works.

Did PsychoZX ever get his K1000 back? Boomama has hers with the Extreme Platinum.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 18
This balanced Zana Deux I've read about that will make its appearance in March...would it count?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back