Warm Transparent Closed Backs
Mar 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay
I tired the Mad Dogs, but they where TOO warm

I'm thinking of ATH w5000 or w1000x woodies as my next attempt for clean warm cans [I use a tube for extra warmth a a little more bass]

I love my byer dt 880 pro 250s and I want a closed version of them :O [and not the dt 770] Sound stage will be smaller on a closed can for sure but the biggest issue I have is resonace! the Mad Dogs had Mid resonace and they honked with some songs so I returned em :/, how are teh woodies :O I would think the wood might absorb some of that extra mid to prevent the HONK 

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

I'm thinking of ATH w5000 or w1000x woodies as my next attempt for clean warm cans [I use a tube for extra warmth a a little more bass]

I love my byer dt 880 pro 250s and I want a closed version of them :O [and not the dt 770] Sound stage will be smaller on a closed can for sure but the biggest issue I have is resonace! the Mad Dogs had Mid resonace and they honked with some songs so I returned em :/, how are teh woodies :O I would think the wood might absorb some of that extra mid to prevent the HONK 

Heya,

Beyer T70

Very best,

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

W1000x over all the others mentioned, I love mine. The have a fantastic sound stage for a closed can and really good mid and bass responce. . They are clear and aggressive while still retaining the mids. They sound like what you describe to my ears. The only criticism I have of them have is the stock pads are horrible.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 15
I would normally second the T70 in this case, however if you already love the 990 sound and dont want to spurge on the T70s consider the 770s. They have the treble spike, boosted bass and dip in the area where the ear is quit sensitive like the 990s. The 770s will dig deeper than the 990s but will likely have less "punch" to them. Consider the 80 ohm version of the 770s for the most bass.

BTW the W1000x distortion curve doesnt look to nice.....
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHW1000X.pdf

DT770 (600ohm) measurements.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 15
W1000x over all the others mentioned, I love mine. The have a fantastic sound stage for a closed can and really good mid and bass responce. . They are clear and aggressive while still retaining the mids. They sound like what you describe to my ears. The only criticism I have of them have is the stock pads are horrible.

Yea i wants em. Need to find a seller here n get the pads swapped what pads r u using bte

Also graphs r usless unless uve heard the can, so don't bring one up without having listened

But ya... I want dem woods

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 15
Yea i wants em. Need to find a seller here n get the pads swapped what pads r u using bte

Also graphs r usless unless uve heard the can, so don't bring one up without having listened

If you like distortion in the lower region then by all means go for it. Each to their own.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
If you like distortion in the lower region then by all means go for it. Each to their own.

The W1000X graphs look mild compared to, say, the SRH1440/1840 and I found those to be quite good. The distortion was barely audible at very high volumes, and nonexistent at listening levels.

Sure, the distortion is there. Does it detract from the listening experience? Maybe for some people, but not for me. It makes little sense to not even listen to a pair and just brush them off due to some weird looking graphs.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

The W1000X graphs look mild compared to, say, the SRH1440/1840 and I found those to be quite good. The distortion was barely audible at very high volumes, and nonexistent at listening levels.

Sure, the distortion is there. Does it detract from the listening experience? Maybe for some people, but not for me. It makes little sense to not even listen to a pair and just brush them off due to some weird looking graphs.

Exactly, exucse my french but, it's assine to assume a graph will translate 100% the sound that you get. My primary example is the Hifiman hm 601, the graphs r hellish to look at. But WOW listen to them and just enjoy the richness and tight deep bass. My point objectivity does not translate or even correlate with subjectivity. I don't care about the roll off in the Sub bass [I have cans for Sub bass thank you] what I'm looking at with these is the Mids and Highs [the bass doesn't look to bad either] In addition a amp with a RCA Clear Top Tube, which brings significant tightness into the bass. 

Quote:

if you like to listen to headphones with you eyes, then by all means go right ahead! 

Well I found the w1000x for $300 :O the same price I paid for my mad Dogs [YAY] getting them from a user ofc. In addition I went ahead and invested in the L3000 Pads, found a video for replaceing pads [shouldn't b hard] so all in all for $400 these things should be pretty epic, but let's say they SUCK some one will want em and the will look pretty

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

The j-money Beyer pads, they sound fantastic with them.  The 3000 avn pads fit as well.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
The j-money Beyer pads, they sound fantastic with them.  The 3000 avn pads fit as well.

A number of ppl on the Fan thread for the w1000x like the L3000 pads, they add some tightness and a little punch to the bass and lower mids. Which is fine, but heck for $300 AND under 10 hours used I think I made the right choice, my issue is OFC I'm broke until my refund comes in for my Mad Dogs, which I'm shipping out tommorow.... BUT I get paid tommorow so I can care less

My other issue is AMPING! I only have Hybrid Tubes, an Indeed G3 with a NICE Clear Top Rca 12ua7a [it should tighten that bass up as well] which should have plenty o power for them, and an increase in sound stage as well as airyness of the treble. It will also tighten the mids [which is why I loves mah clear top tube] then there's the THICKER Mullard 12ua7 5963 in my Millet Max Hybrid. I don't think that tube set will mesh well considering my ULTRA TIGHT dt 880 LOVES the thick tubes. Seeing as these are already nice an full [due to that wood] the cleaner tube will be the winner, which is good because sadly my indeed G3 has more power AND ofc I'll be getting a Darkvoice 1w out tube in a few months... gawd forbid I need that much power

Still, they should b in soon and I'm happy :D

How do the byer j money pads change things up? 

And Also. I see people using some SERIOUS Amps with these q.q. I hope my cheapo Hybrid Tubes will work nicely >.>

Although I have faith in mah little tubes q.q but I'm be PISSED if they sound sibilant >.> I mean at 40ohms I think the indeed will work. It did MAGIC to the overly forward Mad Dogs so it should do MAGIC to these

also I hear they are NOT LAID BACK :D, which is great becuase tubes and laid back cans don't get along in my book [again going to the Mad Dog, a GREAT can, but it's SUPER laid back and needs a good Solid State!] 

So once again... OMG EXCITED 

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Would you make purchase of these after hd25 more of the same only better ?

Only better lawl, the w1000x is so far beyound the HD 25 it's laughable that you even think to compare them lawl nice try 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back