Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 8, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #31 of 14,276
It was a joke .. I wear a cheap Casio ...
tongue.gif

May 8, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 14,276
i wear a Skagen titanium.

550832_b.jpg

it's super thin, light, durable, inexpensive, and looks great. oh yeah... it also tells time!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #33 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
warning large pic
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f20136.jpg

two of my personal passions.
Rolex oyster president perpetual bark finish band in 18k
william henry on the left with snakewood scales
AG russell on the right with wolly mamoth ivory

And i love grand complications. Want a torbillon watch real bad.
(one that will actually work for a few years)

Oh no!! Gilmore, this is like battleships: you just found another of my loves
basshead.gif

One of my cherished posessions: Handmade Sami-Knife from N. Sweden

sami_knife_3.jpg

smai_knife_2.jpg

sami_knife.jpg

EDIT: the blade of this knife is actually made by an old smithy in Denmark, but the rest is made by a Sami knife maker in the North of Sweden.

May 8, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 14,276
I love watches and tend to buy them often but luckily, I find most high-end ones to be visually unappealing - they are either overly flashy, looking as if they were made in the early 1900's or at best average looking. Ones that do look good you can usually find from another brand at 1/10 of the price. That's personal opinion of course. Those ipod_studio's knives however look amazing! Wow!

I actually bought a new watch 2 weeks ago. Went by a store and saw this one first:

longines opposition.jpg

so I went it and tried it on. It's a really great looking watch but it's supposed to be worn more like a cuff - it's rather large, and my arms aren't particularly big. When I had it on it screemed "look at me! So massive and shiny!" which isn't quite the point (well, it is but it should still be somewhat subtle). It also costs 4 times more than I usually pay for watches, so I was kind of glad that it wasn't a good fit. So I looked around and got this one instead:

tissot pr50 2.jpg

I liked the looks, but it's all titanium so it's very light - not that weight bothers me. Until now I saw very few Tissot watches I really liked; this one
is grey and that's a departure for them.

May 8, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #37 of 14,276
I've actually got a Wenger that I've been curious about. It looks like a Victorinox ripoff, but the list price (not what I paid for it) was $150, and it claims to be Swiss made. It also looks like an established company, but I have trouble taking them seriously when they plaster "genuine Swiss Military" all over their products.

Still a nice watch though, stainless band, textured black face, looks pretty similar to the Rolex Oyster Submariner Date. Keeps time well, and is very durable (it once sat under 2 feet of snow for about 3 days, and is still perfect). Can't say the same for the band though, it's broken once, and is loosening again.

Personally, I'd love a Breitling Navitimer (I'd take any model, although the Hertiage is my favorite), but I don't have the funds to drop $3000 on a timepeice right now.

May 8, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #38 of 14,276
Thanks aos. The blade is called a damascus blade and made from many layers of steel. Great looking, but this is a knife that I use everytime I'm out hiking and fishing. I love "collecting" beautiful things but every cherished item I have gets used regularly. Just can't leave things in a cabinet
wink.gif

May 8, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #39 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
I've actually got a Wenger that I've been curious about. It looks like a Victorinox ripoff, but the list price (not what I paid for it) was $150, and it claims to be Swiss made. It also looks like an established company, but I have trouble taking them seriously when they plaster "genuine Swiss Military" all over their products.

Still a nice watch though, stainless band, textured black face, looks pretty similar to the Rolex Oyster Submariner Date. Keeps time well, and is very durable (it once sat under 2 feet of snow for about 3 days, and survived). Can't say the same for the band though, it's broken once, and is loosening again.

Personally, I'd love a Breitling Navitimer (I'd take any model), but I don't have the funds to drop $3000 on a timepeice right now.

I had the Breitling Cosmonaute about 3 years back but couldn't get used to the 24 hour face:

Cosmonaute.gif

Funny thing is I bought it brand new from the dealer in Sweden for $2800 and sold it a year later on ebay for $3150...go figure
wink.gif

May 8, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #41 of 14,276
Darn, it annoys me just looking at the picture
rolleyes.gif
The time it's showing in that picture is 20.09....on any other watch that's 22.09's position...used to really get to me as I just never quite got used to it...12 months was the pain limit for me
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #42 of 14,276
That's a beauty, danaa. Very clean lines, I like it.

May 8, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #43 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
That's a beauty, danaa. Very clean lines, I like it.

Thanks, my teenaged daughter bought it for me for Christmas...................
...............with my money of course.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #44 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
I had the Breitling Cosmonaute about 3 years back but couldn't get used to the 24 hour face:

Cosmonaute.gif

Funny thing is I bought it brand new from the dealer in Sweden for $2800 and sold it a year later on ebay for $3150...go figure
wink.gif

That one is gorgeous as well. Competes with the Heritage for my lust. I usually like simple, uncluttered designs, but Breitlings just strike me so well...

May 8, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #45 of 14,276

Users who are viewing this thread

Back