Westone W80
Sep 2, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #796 of 1,446
I really like the W80 with the Alo8, but despite the unveiled sound, i hear some annoying treble peak on some tracks (AK240SS, AK320) i try several cables but they all heard veiled in comparison to alo8 (i try silver dragon, eros++, thor silver, westone thin balanced cable and epic cable)
I must wait to surpass the 100 hours of burn in to achieve a more balanced sound? (I maybe reach the 50 hours)
Any other cable is better than alo8 as a dream match to W80?

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #797 of 1,446
I tried the rubber tips of an SE846 into my W80, and I prefer the sound very much with those. Of course it depends a lot on your ears, but IEM sound is highly dependent on tips, positioning and deep of insertion. If you have a chance, try, it become my favorite tip.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #798 of 1,446
I really like the W80 with the Alo8, but despite the unveiled sound, i hear some annoying treble peak on some tracks (AK240SS, AK320) i try several cables but they all heard veiled in comparison to alo8 (i try silver dragon, eros++, thor silver, westone thin balanced cable and epic cable)
I must wait to surpass the 100 hours of burn in to achieve a more balanced sound? (I maybe reach the 50 hours)

I settled with a balanced cable from surfcables, is not expensive but I prefer the sound over the other options I tried.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #799 of 1,446
I really like the 0.28 ohms cable from https://www.amazon.com/NOBUNAGA-Labs-Onimaru-kai-correspondence-NLP-ONI-KAI/dp/B01JA03PCK

This one is an amazing cable from Japanese nobunaga labs, and it is cheap too.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #800 of 1,446
I settled with a balanced cable from surfcables, is not expensive but I prefer the sound over the other options I tried.
Of wich material are those cables?
Silver
Ofc copper
Silver plated copper

In my experience silver and silver plated cables sound thin and airy with the W80
And copper cables sound more bassy but less detailed...

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #801 of 1,446
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #802 of 1,446
These look well...
Are those like the litz cables from Alo Audio?
I personally think the build quality of it is better than the alo ref 8. Very nicely built, no strong memory effect as the alo one and a little softer as well. 0.28 ohms is something rly impressing that will fit the 5 ohms w80 very well, to let it sounds what it is designed for.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #803 of 1,446
I use the Whiplash TWau and it is lush sounding without being veiled.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #804 of 1,446
I personally think the build quality of it is better than the alo ref 8. Very nicely built, no strong memory effect as the alo one and a little softer as well. 0.28 ohms is something rly impressing that will fit the 5 ohms w80 very well, to let it sounds what it is designed for.

I have these Nobunaga Lab cables (mmcx and 2pin, and with both 3.5mm and 2.5mm terminations). They are indeed well build cables, and despite silver-plated conductors - have a very similar sound effect on W80 as Ref8 cable, maybe a little smoother at the top. My only beef with them is a very noticeable microphonics effect. These are better off with a shirt clip, otherwise it amplifies the noise with every single move brushing against your clothe. Not as noticeable when music playing, but when idling - drives me a bit nuts.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #805 of 1,446
I use the Whiplash TWau and it is lush sounding without being veiled.

Based on the references to other cables he tried, TWau might be too lush for him. He wants a brighter tonality, in comparison to other cables, but also wants to smooth it out at the top end. TWau is a great cable, and pairs up well with warmer iems, but Ref8 will have a better retrieval of details due to being even brighter (I constantly go back'n'forth with TWau vs Ref8 on U12 too), at least to my ears.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #806 of 1,446

Don't think more hours with a cable burn in will change anything for you. We all have different level of sensitivity to high frequencies. W80 is not harsh by nature of tuning, and AK240/380 are not the brightest or the most revealing sources to begin with (do you hear the same with your Mojo? that one should be even warmer), and it's true that Ref8 will brighten the sound, but you are probably more sensitive to high frequencies (and I thought I was the worst lol!!!).

How about trying to play around with eartips. Which one are you using now? If it's silicone tips, maybe try switching to foam? In some cases, it could help to smooth out higher frequencies. Or try going up in size, to tighten the seal which can improve low end and inadvertently "fix" some high frequencies. Switching from Westone to Shure eartips also can have an effect since Shure tips have a deeper insertion due to being shorter.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #807 of 1,446
I tried the rubber tips of an SE846 into my W80, and I prefer the sound very much with those. Of course it depends a lot on your ears, but IEM sound is highly dependent on tips, positioning and deep of insertion. If you have a chance, try, it become my favorite tip.

You are not the only one :wink: I use silicone shure olive tips (get them from sweetwater, the best deal) with all my universal Westones as well. Their nozzles have the same diameter, so tips are interchangeable. Whatever works!

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #808 of 1,446
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #809 of 1,446
Don't think more hours with a cable burn in will change anything for you. We all have different level of sensitivity to high frequencies. W80 is not harsh by nature of tuning, and AK240/380 are not the brightest or the most revealing sources to begin with (do you hear the same with your Mojo? that one should be even warmer), and it's true that Ref8 will brighten the sound, but you are probably more sensitive to high frequencies (and I thought I was the worst lol!!!).

How about trying to play around with eartips. Which one are you using now? If it's silicone tips, maybe try switching to foam? In some cases, it could help to smooth out higher frequencies. Or try going up in size, to tighten the seal which can improve low end and inadvertently "fix" some high frequencies. Switching from Westone to Shure eartips also can have an effect since Shure tips have a deeper insertion due to being shorter.

I use Westone red startips (silicone), i can't use foam tips because it gives me the itch...
Do you have any picture or link of your shure tips?
i buy some Shure silicone tips but they are too big for me (large size)

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #810 of 1,446

Users who are viewing this thread

Back