Westone W80
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #811 of 1,446
I use Westone red startips (silicone), i can't use foam tips because it gives me the itch...
Do you have any picture or link of your shure tips?
i buy some Shure silicone tips but they are too big for me (large size)

It comes in different sizes, inluding Medium and Large sizes (follow the links). Red tips are a size below orange which is the largest one. So, I think medium will work for you well. But maybe try large as well. I only use large size tips, so makes no sense to compare/picture it next to red-core (I got medium as well, but can't find it).

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #812 of 1,446
Since there has been a lot of discussion lately about Nobunaga Lab cables in this thread, I figured to post a few pictures to show you how it looks, together with W80. I just spent more time doing a/b comparison with ALO Ref8 cable, and under the same test conditions (the same source, the same songs, the same volume - still volume matched) I can hear W80 sound being a little smoother with Nobu cables (perhaps, a touch less revealing), and having a little less mid-bass impact. As it was mentioned by others, the cable has a great build quality, nice braiding, memory wire, solid connectors, minimum memory effect (unlike Ref8), but noticeable microphonics (maybe even more than Ref8). Also, you can see below, Shure olive silicone tips, to get an idea how those look (I'm using large tips). Ironically, my ears can't handle SE846 ergonomics (at max 5-10min before I have to yank them out), but I prefer their large size eartips over orange star tips because they don't stick out as much from my ears.

nobu_westone-01.jpg

nobu_westone-02.jpg

nobu_westone-03.jpg

nobu_westone-04.jpg

nobu_westone-05.jpg

nobu_westone-06.jpg

nobu_westone-07.jpg

nobu_westone-08.jpg

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #813 of 1,446
Since there has been a lot of discussion lately about Nobunaga Lab cables in this thread, I figured to post a few pictures to show you how it looks, together with W80. I just spent more time doing a/b comparison with ALO Ref8 cable, and under the same test conditions (the same source, the same songs, the same volume - still volume matched) I can hear W80 sound being a little smoother with Nobu cables (perhaps, a touch less revealing), and having a little less mid-bass impact. As it was mentioned by others, the cable has a great build quality, nice braiding, memory wire, solid connectors, minimum memory effect (unlike Ref8), but noticeable microphonics (maybe even more than Ref8). Also, you can see below, Shure olive silicone tips, to get an idea how those look (I'm using large tips). Ironically, my ears can't handle SE846 ergonomics (at max 5-10min before I have to yank them out), but I prefer their large size eartips over orange star tips because they don't stick out as much from my ears.

Ok, i have the large tips and doesn't work (too large), i will try the medium tips...
I think your opinion about nobunaga cables are almost the same i heard from other silver or silver plated cables...but at this price, i give it a try

How Would you compare the Westone W80 with the 64 audio U12 in terms of comfort and sound?
I know w80 maybe is not in the same league with the U18 or Tia Fourte but maybe with the previous flagship of the 64 audio brand...
In your honest opinion how the W80 stand against the other brands flagships?

Thanks to all for your help! ✌️

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #814 of 1,446

See I like the Nobunaga cables for sound, but the lack of strain relief on the jack isn't great, and the cable noise is pretty bad :frowning2: means mine doesn't get any use really.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #815 of 1,446
Ok, i have the large tips and doesn't work (too large), i will try the medium tips...
I think your opinion about nobunaga cables are almost the same i heard from other silver or silver plated cables...but at this price, i give it a try

How Would you compare the Westone W80 with the 64 audio U12 in terms of comfort and sound?
I know w80 maybe is not in the same league with the U18 or Tia Fourte but maybe with the previous flagship of the 64 audio brand...
In your honest opinion how the W80 stand against the other brands flagships?

Thanks to all for your help! ✌️

It's a long read, but when you scroll down to comparison section of my W80 review, HERE, you will find a comparison to U12 and other flagships.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #816 of 1,446
See I like the Nobunaga cables for sound, but the lack of strain relief on the jack isn't great, and the cable noise is pretty bad :frowning2: means mine doesn't get any use really.

Actually, if you look closer, the headphone plug has a strain relief, two layers of short transparent sleeve, but it's hard to see. Also, the whole entire cable braiding is inside of this clear/transparent heat-shrink sleeve, hard to see as well unless you start twisting the cable only to realize that its flat braid held together by a sleeve :wink: And that what makes me think is a contributing factor to the microphonics, making the cable rather noisy. If I get around, maybe I will try to peel that clear sleeve off, see if it's going to help with microphonics.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #817 of 1,446
Actually, if you look closer, the headphone plug has a strain relief, two layers of short transparent sleeve, but it's hard to see. Also, the whole entire cable braiding is inside of this clear/transparent heat-shrink sleeve, hard to see as well unless you start twisting the cable only to realize that its flat braid held together by a sleeve :wink: And that what makes me think is a contributing factor to the microphonics, making the cable rather noisy. If I get around, maybe I will try to peel that clear sleeve off, see if it's going to help with microphonics.

I took the memory wire off straight away, but yeah it's not the best in terms of ergonomics unfortunately. I might butcher mine a bit then as it's not getting used due to the noise :D

Mine is the medusa and lacks straing relief: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-isBG1_n-...slU5K_D5fXZukg7OBIsWsEgCEw/s1600/DSC_8022.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #818 of 1,446
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #819 of 1,446
Sep 8, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #821 of 1,446
Since we don't have a dedicated ES80 thread, I figured to continue posting my ES80/W80 updates here. So, wanted to share my ES80 REVIEW I just posted on my blog, and soon will mirror it on Head-fi. In there, I have a comparison to ES60, W80, and UM Pro 50, along with other iems. Plus, my take on pair ups with different cables and sources.

westone_es80-15.jpg

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #822 of 1,446
Are those provided to you or did you buy them?since they just came out

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #823 of 1,446
Are those provided to you or did you buy them?since they just came out

Es80 been officially released and available at least 3 months ago :wink: Just not too much talk about it because ES series only comes in custom and people don't get a chance to audition it at the store or the shows. Oh, and i usually write at the top of all of my reviews that product is provided free of charge for the review purpose. Either if it's a long term or short term review loaner, that's up to different manufacturers.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #824 of 1,446
Es80 been officially released and available at least 3 months ago :wink: Just not too much talk about it because ES series only comes in custom and people don't get a chance to audition it at the store or the shows. Oh, and i usually write at the top of all of my reviews that product is provided free of charge for the review purpose. Either if it's a long term or short term review loaner, that's up to different manufacturers.

Ah didnt hear about them till i saw them on westone website. Yes, Customs are less desirable in general, i live in a country where there is no high end gear let alone customizing iems :) i buy everything blind, so far so good. My next purchase would be a TOTL custom iem i just dunno which

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #825 of 1,446
Since we don't have a dedicated ES80 thread, I figured to continue posting my ES80/W80 updates here. So, wanted to share my ES80 REVIEW I just posted on my blog, and soon will mirror it on Head-fi. In there, I have a comparison to ES60, W80, and UM Pro 50, along with other iems. Plus, my take on pair ups with different cables and sources.

It is always good to read @twister6 's review.
I think I can keep holding on my ES60 a little longer.

Btw, just wanna share my experience on the repair service from Westone.
I have just received the repaired unit back from Westone, as the mmcx socket sunk into the ciem body...
My ES60 was about 1 year and two months old, and Westone was kind enough to repair it for free.
The turn around time was about a month and two weeks, shipping to and from HK.

I always thought Westone would rebuild the whole shell from the ground up, but I was wrong.
Apparently they just opened up where the face plate and the body met, fixed the socket and the re-attach the face plate and body. The glue mark was just all over it. I wish they would have better workmanship on it.

Apart from the aesthetic issue, the sound is good.
Actually pairing it with my newly acquired SPKss, they sound DAMN GOOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back