Westone W80
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #856 of 1,446
HI TCD1975, With respect sir and no disrespect what so ever, what you are saying is really not the case, also it is not as simple as adding 2 high-frequency tweeters, from someone who makes IEMs and has been through a lot of pain over this business I can say this from my very personal perspective. There is a lot more involvement and engineering, and tooling and crazing tuning and on and on to make a product like this.

I mean I understand what you are saying and the optics here, understood, however the cable we did with them did not add cost to the earphones bottom line. Yes of course the cable cost something but Westone is honestly eating my cost adding value to their flagship IEM with out adding to the MSRP. I understand people here have posted that they dont like the MSRP (you included), and that is fine to voice and I dont have a problem with this. However to blame the cost on the cable is simply not the case and is untrue. I just feel bad for Westone because I know for a fact that there was no calculation of adding the cable and then jacking up the MSRP, this was not the case. They really wanted to include some added value to their earphone. Yes I am sure some of you will not believe this statement but its 100% true, for those members who know me know I am not one to be dishonest about this kind of stuff.

If the ALO cable was not in with the W80 the retail would be the same. The idea is to make the product as good as it can sound, look or feel. We did a similar thing with our earphones by making a high end litz cable with our earphones, we replaced our stock tinsel cable with our better and far more expensive litz cable and did not increase the price of our IEMs. Yes the litz cable cost way more to make and I had to pay a lot more for tooling but I know that the product will be far better = better for the customer = better for business.

Anyhow the cable we are really happy about and does match very well with the W80s that sound terrific. I am sure the people who do buy the W80 will be happy it was included.

Yes some people are voicing displeasure about the retail cost, noted.

I hope that the thread can proceed to some impressions soon :wink:

Ken

If that is the case, they should add the cable in for the w60 too.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #857 of 1,446
I think they did it with the w80 to market it as their true flagship

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #858 of 1,446
I think they did it with the w80 to market it as their true flagship

And it's also included with ES80... Every manufacture takes pride in their flagship, trying to distinguish it from other models. That's the case with w80 and es80.

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #859 of 1,446
Exactly my thoughts.

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #861 of 1,446
Then you've been lucky.

Lots of people have had problems, and it has nothing to do with not being careful.

If you read through the Westone threads on this forum, you would see that there are lots of comments about the build quality and connector issues.

I've seen comments on reddit about Westone build quality, and reviews on Amazon mention build quality issues as well.

I would hope that there are more people who haven't had issues, than have had issues.

Saying that there are issues with the UM Pro and W range doesn't mean that 100% of people have had a problem but, even if only 25% of people have, that would still be too many.

Well they did have a lot of people complaining, so they did have to change the MMCX connector.

Yes, I'm aware that MMCX connectors are designed to turn 360 degrees.

But is the connection quite secure (i.e. it takes a little bit of effort to turn them) or loose (i.e. the earphones will swivel around 360 degrees without any effort)?

My first pair of W60 had loose connectors, and the earphones would swivel round without any pressure. After 6 month the sound started cutting out in the left ear.

My replacement pair have a much more secure connection. Westone have updated the MMCX cable, so that the black plastic around the connector is a bit longer and there is no gap between the cable and earphone.

With the ALO cable, that comes with the W80, there's a gap between the cable and earphone. I'd just like to know how secure the connection is.

If is is secure, and the earphones don't swivel on their own, then I'll be tempted to get the W80. If they do swivel on their own I will wait for a few months to see if there are any reports of people finding the sound cutting out.

There is no problem with my 10, 30, and 50. I have the beautiful originals Rev. 2

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #863 of 1,446
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. These forums are a good source to find reviews and opinions on audio products and I thought of returning the favour by also providing some of my own experiences. I am a music aficionado who enjoys good quality sound but I am by no means an *expert audiophile* so please bear that in mind.

I have been using a Fiio X5 (1st generation) + Westone W60 but I have recently upgraded to the Fiio X7 Mark II + Westone W80. Despite the general praise that the ALO Ref 8 cable is receiving, I have to admit that it didn’t convince me and have replaced it with the Linum SuperBaX cable, which happens to be very much in line with my personal preferences. I would like to share with you my personal experience by comparing both cables.

And yes, I did have the recommended 100+ hour burn-in period with the ALO Ref 8 :). In fact, I have to agree with those who say that a proper burn-in is necessary in this particular case. Right out of the box, the W80 + ALO Ref 8 sounded bad in my opinion. It sounded like the instruments were "out of phase", it's hard to explain. This peculiar effect got resolved quickly but I did perceive that the sound improved gradually with usage. (Whether it is actual cable burn-on or your brain adjusting to the new sound is another debate ....although I am myself more inclined to believe in the latter explanation).

I listen to a lot of classical music (orchestral, chamber music, choral, opera, etc.) so I prefer the sound to be neutral/balanced without an emphasis on any specific frequency range. When listening to my new W80 + ALO Ref 8 cable, I noticed an elevated "bass layer/presence" that covered the mids, which was particularly noticeable with orchestral music. To my ears, this elevated bassy layer sounded “unbalanced" and somewhat out of place and in my opinion not at all suitable for an orchestra. Not only with larger ensembles but also with smaller ones (e.g. trios, quartets, etc.) I noticed this "mid-bass layer" (for lack of a better term). It sounded like the individual instruments weren't able to "breathe" like I wanted them to.

I quickly concluded that it was due to the ALO Ref 8 cable as the stock cable had less bass presence and sounded more neutral. However, I did perceive the ALO Ref 8 to have a wider soundstage and more detail, which were properties that I definitely did not want to sacrifice so I stuck with the ALO cable. But this elevated mid-bass layer really started to bother me so I decided to search for a cable that retained the soundstage, clarity and detail of the ALO Ref 8 but with a more neutral/balanced response across the entire frequency range.

The irony is that if the ALO Ref 8 weren't included, I would most likely be content with the stock cable :). But having heard first hand how a cable can alter the sound, I felt that the best way forward was to find a cable that matched my preferences and get more out of my newly acquired W80.

After some research I found the Linum SuperBaX and thought that this cable might suit my sound preferences. I decided to purchase it and the results were highly satisfactory as it had indeed the properties that I was looking for. The first thing I noticed was that this elevated mid-bass presence was gone. It wasn't a subtle thing either but a real noticeable sonic difference. The sound felt now more neutral and balanced and I also perceived an improvement in clarity and detail. The only downside that I heard was that the soundstage was slightly reduced, which I did find disappointing but the balanced response and better clarity and detail were definitely worth it in my opinion.
...This was the 1st day.

However, on the 2nd day of (intensive) listening, it felt like the sound underwent a "transformation" where the soundstage width expanded and got restored to former levels (similar to the ALO Ref 8) and where I even perceived a further improvement in clarity and detail. I changed from "pleased" on the 1st day to "impressed" on the 2nd day. (Again, whether it is due to cable burn-in or your brain adjusting to the new sound, I have no idea. But the fact remains that I experienced an improvement the next day).

Since the response across the full frequency range is more balanced/neutral, I feel that I can appreciate the individual instruments better. Instrument separation seems to be better as well and these are traits that I find important. I tend to prefer a more airier sound where the instruments can “breathe".

As I have pointed out on several occasions, I perceive the ALO Ref 8 to have a stronger bass presence in comparison but the bass in the SuperBax does extend deep but it doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs. Instead, It feels like the bass stays where it is while still allowing the mids and highs to be appreciated and this is very much in accordance to my own personal preference.

With this combo of "Fiio X7 Mark II + W80 + SuperBaX", I can honestly say that I am very happy with the results. Before this upgrade, I used the "Fiio X5 (1st generation) + W60 + stock cable" and the jump in sound quality is in my opinion quite noticeable. (Although I do occasionally miss the more laidback signature of the W60). Having heard both ALO Ref 8 and SuperBaX, It has become clear to me that cables can indeed make a difference and in this particular case the difference was according to my ears not a subtle one.

Another note of interest. The W80 is small, light and a very comfortable IEM to wear. The SuperBaX cable is thin, light and is very comfortable as well. So in terms of comfort, the W80 + SuperBaX is an absolute winner combo :). (Another plus is that it has no microphonics).

To summarise, the message that I want to transmit with this post, which ended up longer that initially expected :), is that I can heartily recommend the Linum SuperBaX cable to those who prefer a more neutral/balanced response with great clarity and detail to go with the W80.

Best regards,

Raúl

zl35BZI.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #864 of 1,446
After 2-3 weeks with the used W80 that I got for $740 I am loving it. I returned the ALO cable for partial refund as it had bit of damage and for me EPIC cable is good enough and I like it for more balanced signature.
I am really loving this IEM. This is super comfortable to wear and the laid back but good resolving nature of this super light IEM is just great and only complain is that I do not want to take them off. Similar to HE1000 I really like this and it put me to sleep whilst listening. It does the job in the background and never harsh or in your face (say like Focal Elears etc). I am so glad that I got this for a good price.

I was about to give up on IEMs and I said to my self that if W80 does not do it then it would be my last try on IEM and W80 definitely is a keep. I tried AKG K3003, JH Roxanne and Shure SE846 before and all of that did not give any hope of substituting my full size HPs and could not wear those for more than one hour. With W80 I even do not notice that I am wearing IEM. Great product

That's one awesome deal.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #865 of 1,446
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. These forums are a good source to find reviews and opinions on audio products and I thought of returning the favour by also providing some of my own experiences. I am a music aficionado who enjoys good quality sound but I am by no means an *expert audiophile* so please bear that in mind.

I have been using a Fiio X5 (1st generation) + Westone W60 but I have have recently upgraded to the Fiio X7 Mark II + Westone W80. Despite the general praise that the ALO Ref 8 cable is receiving, I have to admit that it didn’t convince me and have replaced it with the Linum SuperBax cable, which happens to be very much in line with my personal preferences. I would like to share with you my personal experience by comparing both cables.

And yes, I did have the recommended 100+ hour burn-in period with the ALO Ref 8 :). In fact, I have to agree with those who say that a proper burn-in is necessary in this particular case. Right out of the box, the W80 + ALO Ref 8 sounded bad in my opinion. It sounded like the instruments were "out of phase", it's hard to explain. This peculiar effect got resolved quickly but I did perceive that the sound improved gradually with usage. (Whether it is actual cable burn-on or you brain adjusting to the new sound is another debate ....although I am myself more inclined to believe in the latter explanation).

I listen to a lot of classical music (orchestral, chamber music, choral, opera, etc.) so I prefer the sound to be neutral/balanced without an emphasis on any specific frequency range. When listening to my new W80 + ALO Ref 8 cable, I noticed an elevated "bass layer/presence" that covered the mids, which was particularly noticeable with orchestral music. To my ears, this elevated bassy layer sounded “unbalanced" and somewhat out of place and in my opinion not at all suitable for an orchestra. Not only with larger ensembles but also with smaller ones (e.g. trios, quartets, etc) I noticed this "mid-bass layer" (for lack of a better term). It sounded like the individual instruments weren't able to "breath" like I wanted them to.

I quickly concluded that it was due to the ALO Ref 8 cable as the stock cable had less bass presence and sounded more neutral. However, I did perceive the ALO Ref 8 to have a wider soundstage and more detail, which were properties that I definitely did not want to sacrifice so I stuck with the ALO cable. But this elevated mid-bass layer really started to bother me so I decided to search for a cable that retained the soundstage, clarity and detail of the ALO Ref 8 but with a more neutral/balanced response across the entire frequency range.

The irony is that if the ALO Ref 8 weren't included, I would most likely be content with the stock cable :). But having heard first hand how a cable can alter the sound, I felt that the best way forward was to find a cable that matched my preferences and get more out of my newly acquired W80.

After some research I found the Linum SuperBax and thought that this cable might suit my sound preferences. I decided to purchase it and the results were highly satisfactory as it had indeed the properties that I was looking for. The first thing I noticed was that this elevated mid-bass presence was gone. It wasn't a subtle thing either but a real noticeable sonic difference. The sound felt now more neutral and balanced and I also perceived an improvement in clarity and detail. The only downside that I heard was that the soundstage was slightly reduced, which I did find disappointing but the balanced response and better clarity and detail were definitely worth it in my opinion.
...This was the 1st day.

However, on the 2nd day of (intensive) listening, it felt like the sound underwent a "transformation" where the soundstage width expanded and got restored to former levels (similar to the ALO Ref 8) and where I even perceived a further improvement in clarity and detail. I changed from "pleased" on the 1st day to "impressed" on the 2nd day. (Again, whether it is due to cable burn-in or your brain adjusting to the new sound, I have no idea. But the fact remains that I experienced an improvement the next day).

Since the response across the full frequency range is more balanced/neutral, I feel that I can appreciate the individual instruments better. Instrument separation seems to be better as well and these are traits that I find important. I tend to prefer a more airier sound where the instruments can “breath".

As I have pointed out on several occasions, I perceive the ALO Ref 8 to have a stronger bass presence in comparison but the bass in the SuperBax does extend deep but it doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs. Instead, It feels like the bass stays where it is while still allowing the mids and highs to be appreciated and this is very much in accordance to my own personal preference.

With this combo of "Fiio X7 Mark II + W80 + SuperBax", I can honestly say that I am very happy with the results. Before this upgrade, I used the "Fiio X5 (1st generation) + W60 + stock cable" and the jump in sound quality is in my opinion quite noticeable. (Although I do occasionally miss the more laidback signature of the W60). Having heard both ALO Ref 8 and SuperBax, It has become clear to me that cables can indeed make a difference and in this particular case the difference was according to my ears not a subtle one.

Another note of interest. The W80 is small, light and a very comfortable IEM to wear. The SuperBax cable is thin, light and is very comfortable as well. So in terms of comfort, the W80 + SuperBax is an absolute winner combo :). (Another plus is that it has no microphonics).

To summarise, the message that I want to transmit with this post, which ended up longer that initially expected :), is that I can heartily recommend the Linum SuperBax cable to those who prefer a more neutral/balanced response with great clarity and detail to go with the W80.

Best regards,

Raúl

zl35BZI.jpg

I gotta tell you, for the first time poster this was quite impressive! And you definitely nailed it with your cable description. If you read my W80 review and scroll down to cable section, that's pretty much how I described what I hear when comparing Ref8 vs Epic vs SuperBaX. Now, I noticed you have single ended 3.5mm TRS terminated SuperBaX. Wait til you hear it balanced :wink: I mean, relatlve to X7ii the difference vetween SE and BAL outputs is not huge, but noticeable, for sure more than with their X5iii. Also, there is some resemblance between Westone original Epic cable (it comes with all of their W and Um pro series, except for W80) and SuperBaX, but SuperBaX scales up the performance. Btw, Westone sells a balanced ultra-thin cable which is a rebranded BaX cable.

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #866 of 1,446
I gotta tell you, for the first time poster this was quite impressive! And you definitely nailed it with your cable description. If you read my W80 review and scroll down to cable section, that's pretty much how I described what I hear when comparing Ref8 vs Epic vs SuperBaX. Now, I noticed you have single ended 3.5mm TRS terminated SuperBaX. Wait til you hear it balanced :wink: I mean, relatlve to X7ii the difference vetween SE and BAL outputs is not huge, but noticeable, for sure more than with their X5iii. Also, there is some resemblance between Westone original Epic cable (it comes with all of their W and Um pro series, except for W80) and SuperBaX, but SuperBaX scales up the performance. Btw, Westone sells a balanced ultra-thin cable which is a rebranded BaX cable.

Crap, i sold my Westone balanced ultra thin cable....
I remember this cable sound with less volume than the ref8, but also are a great match, you only need more volume steps to match the sound with ref8...
SuperBax are only in 3,5mm?
I don't find in 2,5mm TRRS

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #867 of 1,446
Crap, i sold my Westone balanced ultra thin cable....
I remember this cable sound with less volume than the ref8, but also are a great match, you only need more volume steps to match the sound with ref8...
SuperBax are only in 3,5mm?
I don't find in 2,5mm TRRS

I received my SuperBax with 2.5mm termination over 2 years ago when it was in prototype stage and they needed feedback. It took them awhile to get to production stage, and now it's available in both mmcx and 2pin, but only with 3.5mm termination. I believe they are working on 2.5mm, but no ETA yet.

Regarding the difference in volume steps, it's due to resistance. Lower resistance, less voltage drop, higher volume, like an instant improvement in efficiency where you don't need to push your source as loud to match the volume with another cable that has higher resistance.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #868 of 1,446
I gotta tell you, for the first time poster this was quite impressive! And you definitely nailed it with your cable description.

Unfortunately, a balanced 2.5mm TRRS version of the SuperBax is not yet available. Since the Fiio X7ii comes with a balanced output, I was also considering a balanced cable at first. Westone offers their balanced ultra-thin cable and after reading some reviews, I found out that they were rebranded Linum Bax cables and that is how I discovered Linum and their new SuperBax.

It is my understanding that the balanced SuperBax is not due for a release in the near-future so I was doubting between the balanced Bax and the SuperBax. But based on reviews and impressions, I concluded that the SuperBax would be closer to what I was looking for so I went ahead and bought it and I am very happy with the results.

I am still interested in a balanced SuperBax if it gets released in the future. From what I have read, balanced cables can widen the soundstage and if that is true, it might be a worthwile purchase since I appreciate a wide soundstage .

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #869 of 1,446

Unfortunately, a balanced 2.5mm TRRS version of the SuperBax is not yet available. Since the Fiio X7ii comes with a balanced output, I was also considering a balanced cable at first. Westone offers their balanced ultra-thin cable and after reading some reviews, I found out that they were rebranded Linum Bax cables and that is how I discovered Linum and their new SuperBax.

It is my understanding that the balanced SuperBax is not due for a release in the near-future so I was doubting between the balanced Bax and the SuperBax. But based on reviews and impressions, I concluded that the SuperBax would be closer to what I was looking for so I went ahead and bought it and I am very happy with the results.

I am still interested in a balanced SuperBax if it gets released in the future. From what I have read, balanced cables can widen the soundstage and if that is true, it might be a worthwile purchase since I appreciate a wide soundstage .

Actually, when you look at the same cable, considering the same wires and connectors with the only difference of 3.5mm TRS (SE) vs 2.5mm TRRS (BAL) termination - the difference in sound will come from your source, not the cable. For example, in some cases, manufacturer has 2.5mm output for gimmicks with a very little noticeable difference, just a little power boost. In other cases, they have a proper architecture, keeping Left/Right channels separated for a better control of the soundstage expansion, and of course to double the power. Look at some of the daps, they have BAL output only a few tenth of a volt higher than SE. While, something like DX200 has 3Vrms SE and 6Vrms BAL, so you know they implemented a proper architecture... But anyway, I'm getting a bit off topic, but just wanted to point out, it's all up to a source. I have some daps with 3.5mm only HO that sound wider in comparison to other 2.5mm HO daps.

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #870 of 1,446
Actually, when you look at the same cable, considering the same wires and connectors with the only difference of 3.5mm TRS (SE) vs 2.5mm TRRS (BAL) termination - the difference in sound will come from your source, not the cable. For example, in some cases, manufacturer has 2.5mm output for gimmicks with a very little noticeable difference, just a little power boost. In other cases, they have a proper architecture, keeping Left/Right channels separated for a better control of the soundstage expansion, and of course to double the power. Look at some of the daps, they have BAL output only a few tenth of a volt higher than SE. While, something like DX200 has 3Vrms SE and 6Vrms BAL, so you know they implemented a proper architecture... But anyway, I'm getting a bit off topic, but just wanted to point out, it's all up to a source. I have some daps with 3.5mm only HO that sound wider in comparison to other 2.5mm HO daps.
It is indeed very good to know that the sound improvements with a balanced cable are source dependent. In your reply above, you say that the balanced output of the Fiio X7ii provides a difference in sound, not huge but noticeable. More the reason then to keep an eye out for the release of the balanced SuperBaX :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back