Westone W80
Sep 11, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #841 of 1,446
In your case I would go for ES60. ES80 stirs farther away from a "typical" Westone sound sig. Definitely a big improvement in resolution and transparency, but at an expense of a more neutral sound sig with less bass impact. ES60 will sit between W80 and ES80.

OK, you say this because ES60 is similar in resolution and transparency with W80?
What do you think about the 64 Audio CIEMs?
I really like the U4-SE and the Apex modules really works...
Are there any CIEM with the same footprint of U4-SE or similar in sound and transparency with W80 or ES60?

by the way, thanks for your help

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #842 of 1,446
OK, you say this because ES60 is similar in resolution and transparency with W80?
What do you think about the 64 Audio CIEMs?
I really like the U4-SE and the Apex modules really works...
Are there any CIEM with the same footprint of U4-SE or similar in sound and transparency with W80 or ES60?

by the way, thanks for your help

It's hard to match the exact sound to recommend you an alternative. If you read my W80 review, you probably might like to check out Andromeda or K10, though I'm not sure if Noble still makes it (because they have Katana and Encore now, with Katana being smoother and warmer, and Encore having less bass and a lot more treble sparkle). Also, UE18+ Pro could be another alternative, adding more bass and more treble sparkle in comparison to UERR. Of course, nothing is exactly the same footprint, just like it's hard to match the exact signature. With 64audio, you will have to step up to U18 and TIA Fourte (if money is no object :wink:).

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #844 of 1,446
It's hard to match the exact sound to recommend you an alternative. If you read my W80 review, you probably might like to check out Andromeda or K10, though I'm not sure if Noble still makes it (because they have Katana and Encore now, with Katana being smoother and warmer, and Encore having less bass and a lot more treble sparkle). Also, UE18+ Pro could be another alternative, adding more bass and more treble sparkle in comparison to UERR. Of course, nothing is exactly the same footprint, just like it's hard to match the exact signature. With 64audio, you will have to step up to U18 and TIA Fourte (if money is no object :wink:).

A/U18 is very interesting, but sadly money matters to me...maybe in the future
i think i will keep on the Westone family for my first CIEM if i like it i maybe try something bigger, better...
Captura_de_pantalla_2017_09_12_a_la_s_01_53_14.png
E3acljd.png

nothing fancy i stay sober :)

by the way...oriveti Affinity is a good alternative to Alo8 in the Westone W80?

thanks for your help

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #845 of 1,446
I wish I had not sold my W60. I am now trying to P/X my HEK for the W80. One way or another, I will get the W80.The W60 were the most comfortable earphones I ever owned.

HEK for W80...OMG....!!
W80 is one of the most comfortable earphones indeed, almost like the W60s...but like is already said, the details and soundstage is really better, but the bass slam is different...
i think the W80 is not a better W60, is more like a different IEM tuned a bit different than the rest of the W series

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #846 of 1,446
HEK for W80...OMG....!!
W80 is one of the most comfortable earphones indeed, almost like the W60s...but like is already said, the details and soundstage is really better, but the bass slam is different...
i think the W80 is not a better W60, is more like a different IEM tuned a bit different than the rest of the W series

True, for some people it's an upgrade, for others more like a side grade due to differences... I will check Affinity with W80 later and let you know how it compares to ref8 (for sure, less microphonics).

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #847 of 1,446
Thats im keeping my w60 and exchanging the w40 with w80 :) having best of both worlds

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #848 of 1,446
....by the way...oriveti Affinity is a good alternative to Alo8 in the Westone W80?

thanks for your help

I tried W80 with Ref8 vs Affinity, and in this pair up I prefer Ref8 cable. As I usually mention, the sound improvement is not cable dependent but pair-up dependent :wink: With a more neutral signature and super wide soundstage, Affinity lifted the low end of ES80 and kept soundstage wide (even wider). With W80 and Affinity cable, I felt the bass was a little overwhelming for my taste and I noticed the soundstage shrunk a little. I don't have explanation for it, but that's how i hear it.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #849 of 1,446
So earphonesolutions were kind enough (wirh everything going in florida wirh irma) to exchange my w40 for w80 plus cash of course. Eqgerly waiting for those thanks for the impressions and reviews

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #850 of 1,446
I tried W80 with Ref8 vs Affinity, and in this pair up I prefer Ref8 cable. As I usually mention, the sound improvement is not cable dependent but pair-up dependent :wink: With a more neutral signature and super wide soundstage, Affinity lifted the low end of ES80 and kept soundstage wide (even wider). With W80 and Affinity cable, I felt the bass was a little overwhelming for my taste and I noticed the soundstage shrunk a little. I don't have explanation for it, but that's how i hear it.

Ok, thanks...
I think i would try with nobunaga cables and the old Westone Epic...
Maybe the Roxannes are too warm and i have lose the habit of the W80 sound, too different earphones make my brain and ears work too much hard :ksc75smile:

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #851 of 1,446
So earphonesolutions were kind enough (wirh everything going in florida wirh irma) to exchange my w40 for w80 plus cash of course. Eqgerly waiting for those thanks for the impressions and reviews

That was very nice of them. Aren't you from Morocco? I remember you mentioned that in X7ii thread. Not too many companies (in US) deal with international shipments, and especially returns and exchanges. I'm sure you won't be disapponted with W80 :wink:

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #852 of 1,446
That was very nice of them. Aren't you from Morocco? I remember you mentioned that in X7ii thread. Not too many companies (in US) deal with international shipments, and especially returns and exchanges. I'm sure you won't be disapponted with W80 :wink:

Yep i know thats why i took my business to them. Flavio is a nice guy and very helpful. I just need to send my w40 tomorrow so i can receive my w80 quickly. The bad news is i got a mail from westone telling me that i have to pay for the faceplates on my w60 eventhough they are still under warranty because they are second hand. I find this to be unacceptable but i dont bkg22 around anymore to ask him to step in..i cant imagine paying 10 bucks every 2 months for cracked faceplates.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #853 of 1,446
Yep i know thats why i took my business to them. Flavio is a nice guy and very helpful. I just need to send my w40 tomorrow so i can receive my w80 quickly. The bad news is i got a mail from westone telling me that i have to pay for the faceplates on my w60 eventhough they are still under warranty because they are second hand. I find this to be unacceptable but i dont bkg22 around anymore to ask him to step in..i cant imagine paying 10 bucks every 2 months for cracked faceplates.

Yeah, Flavio takes care of his customers. I guess Westone has a policy regarding warranty coverage when you are not the original owner. If I'm not mistaken, BKG22 is not back yet, I got out-of-office reply, so you might not hear from him for a while. But, why not ask Flavio? Considering how much business you are giving him, I'm sure he has spare parts laying around. Btw, if you look through multiple hundreds of posts in W60, W80, and other W-series threads, there are mentioning of cracked faceplates, but I don't see a flood of it, and certainly nobody complaining about cracked faceplates every 2 months :wink: Also, I could be mistaken, but I think it was mentioned that Westone updated these faceplates, but I think it wasn't backward compatible with earlier shells.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #854 of 1,446
Yeah, Flavio takes care of his customers. I guess Westone has a policy regarding warranty coverage when you are not the original owner. If I'm not mistaken, BKG22 is not back yet, I got out-of-office reply, so you might not hear from him for a while. But, why not ask Flavio? Considering how much business you are giving him, I'm sure he has spare parts laying around. Btw, if you look through multiple hundreds of posts in W60, W80, and other W-series threads, there are mentioning of cracked faceplates, but I don't see a flood of it, and certainly nobody complaining about cracked faceplates every 2 months :wink: Also, I could be mistaken, but I think it was mentioned that Westone updated these faceplates, but I think it wasn't backward compatible with earlier shells.
Well they only cost 10usd i dont see why you wouldnt give them to your customers knowing thats a design flaw. When i said every 2 months i was just extraploting what happened after just 4 days of puting new faceplates. I will keep pushing untill i get my damn replacements for free!!

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #855 of 1,446
Well they only cost 10usd i dont see why you wouldnt give them to your customers knowing thats a design flaw. When i said every 2 months i was just extraploting what happened after just 4 days of puting new faceplates. I will keep pushing untill i get my damn replacements for free!!

I receive faceplates from Westone 2 times and they don't even ask me a serial number or name of the Dealer who sell my W60s....
This is the Mail: musicreturns@westone.com

And this is the contact information:

CJ Pruitt
Westone Music Products
Returns Associate
2235 Executive Circle
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
719.540.9333 ext 505
1-800-525-5071
www.westone.com/music

But if you are tired of crap faceplates, you can take this alternative:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074J8LV1F/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1505278822&sr=8-20&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=westone+w60+accessory&dpPl=1&dpID=41HXHazCn9L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Real custom metallic faceplates in 3 colours, perfect fit, and you can use the original screws to place them in your earphone....

I wish they made these faceplates for the W80 as well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back