Westone W80
Jan 28, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,186 of 1,446
Thanks for the reply.

I originally tried the Grey/Black Silicone tips and didn't find they had enough bass. I then switched to the Red Silicone that are fairly long. With the red tips I was getting too much mid bass. Perhaps because they went so deep in my ear.

Today I went back to the grey/black silicone tips and they seemed to seal fine. While mid bass was too much it wasn't as bad as the red tips.

As for the cable, while unwound and flattened there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I replaced the cable with the one from my Xelento and the sound was the same.

I guess the biggest problem for me is how thick sounding the mids are with female vocals and to a lesser degree male vocals. To me it is almost like the crossover from bass to mid is too high or not sloped steeply enough for my music taste. The vocals just don't sound natural. Acoustic guitar sounds very thick as well. Almost like you don't hear the start and end of the guitar note, just the middle. (Sorry but I just don't know how to describe it.)

I think it is likely that the sound is what is expected but it simply isn't to my taste. I went from IE800 and 3003i to IE800s and N5005 to Xelento and the N5005. I kept the Xelento and sold the N5005 hoping that the W80 would be the final multi driver form me but I don't think that will be the case. Too bad because at half price they were a great deal.

BTW, love your reviews.

Ken

Yeah, it sounds like you prefer a leaner lower mids, to trim some body in vocals. Of course, all is a matter of a personal preference. One thing I can recommend, since you already tried different Westone eartips, try Shure silicone olive tips. Maybe get medium size since you were using red, and i assume large orange is too big for you. Shure olives don't have as deep insertion and still can give you a good seal. With Westone iems, eartip selection is a big deal to fine tune the sound. And for sure, stay away from foam eartips since they will add more bloat to lower end.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,187 of 1,446
Interested myself in soon getting W80s and so am following this thread and posts. I currently enjoy two months of listening to the new UMPro50 v2 -- my thinking is that the W80s (v1 or v2) should have the same bass profile (and hopefully add a bit more sub/low) and be a crisper, brighter sound profile all around. The W60s may do this (?), but my sense is to try to jump to the W80s (perhaps be lucky enough to stumble upon a good v1 or deal someone exiting their w80s). I use my UMPro50s daily with V2 Bluetooth and am happy, but do think there is room to up the game by moving to W80s and incorporating the new Plussound Bluetooth (copper/silver cable). Although good, I have noticed the Westone V2 BT can distort or not grab the bass (and a bit veiled) as compared to wired, so am thinking W80s with new Plussound BT may be the way to go. Any thoughts, feedback re UMPro50v2 vs w60 or w80, vs Westone BTv2 vs Plussound BT is welcome. Or perhaps someone has used W80s with the first-gen Plussound BT cable. Deep bass and amazing bright, well-staged sound on Bluetooth is what I'm after...

P.S. Forum-thanks to Twister6 recommending the UMProV2s, my first IEMs and making an enjoyable mobile listening experience : )

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,188 of 1,446
Interested myself in soon getting W80s and so am following this thread and posts. I currently enjoy two months of listening to the new UMPro50 v2 -- my thinking is that the W80s (v1 or v2) should have the same bass profile (and hopefully add a bit more sub/low) and be a crisper, brighter sound profile all around. The W60s may do this (?), but my sense is to try to jump to the W80s (perhaps be lucky enough to stumble upon a good v1 or deal someone exiting their w80s). I use my UMPro50s daily with V2 Bluetooth and am happy, but do think there is room to up the game by moving to W80s and incorporating the new Plussound Bluetooth (copper/silver cable). Although good, I have noticed the Westone V2 BT can distort or not grab the bass (and a bit veiled) as compared to wired, so am thinking W80s with new Plussound BT may be the way to go. Any thoughts, feedback re UMPro50v2 vs w60 or w80, vs Westone BTv2 vs Plussound BT is welcome. Or perhaps someone has used W80s with the first-gen Plussound BT cable. Deep bass and amazing bright, well-staged sound on Bluetooth is what I'm after...

P.S. Forum-thanks to Twister6 recommending the UMProV2s, my first IEMs and making an enjoyable mobile listening experience : )

I covered W60 v1 vs v2 and W60 v2 vs UMPro50 v2 in my review, and in summary:

W60-2 vs W60-1 – I hear a very interesting change here, something you don’t appreciate as much until you compare one to the other. W60-2 soundstage has a wider perception, perhaps with a help of SPC cable, but either way it’s noticeable. Bass in W60-2 sounds tighter and more controlled, especially the transition into lower mids where I’m hearing W60-2 mid-bass having a faster/shorter decay, while the original W60-1 spills a little bit into lower mids. Mids is where I hear the biggest difference, with W60-2 being more neutral and more transparent while W60-1 being thicker with more body. As a result, W60-2 sounds less colored, more resolving, a little less laidback, but still natural in tonality. In comparison, the upper mids/vocals of W60-1 sound warmer, not as resolving, and a little more pulled back. Treble is identical here. The difference is quite noticeable in this comparison, especially when listening to vocals where W60-2 sounds more resolving, less colored, more audiophile quality tuned.

W60-2 vs Pro50-2 – I thought this might be an interesting comparison as well. Soundstage expansion here is very similar, in both width and depth. Bass is very similar in quality with both having a deeper rumble and stronger punch, but Pro50-2 has even stronger impact, hitting harder, while W60-2 bass is a little more relaxed. Mids are very similar, the same closer to neutral lower mids and resolving more transparent upper mids. Treble is where they differ again, with W60-2 being a little smoother and more controlled, while Pro50-2 being brighter and with a little more sparkle. As a result of these differences in bass and treble, W60-2 is more balanced while Pro50-2 is more v-shaped.

I also covered W80 vs W60 v1 in my original W80 review, but I might need to look at the actual W60 v2 vs W80 comparison, instead of going by A > B and B < C, thus A = C :D I will take a listen tonight and post the update.

Regarding W80 v1 vs v2, those are identically tuned and you already have BT Cable v2. The only advantage are metal faceplates, and I'm hoping they will sell it as an accessory in the future. So, maybe you can get a good deal on used v1 somewhere?

With BT cables, many BT cables add noise, it's inevitable. You have a tiny digital chip decoding BT wireless signal and driving your low impedance higher sensitivity IEMs (like W80). Westone BT v2 cable performance is better than v1. But I haven't tried PS cable yet. I remember reading their original one had some hissing. I hope they fixed it in the new one. I saw PS posted on FB they finally ready to start shipping the first batch of new cables. I'm actually interested in it as well because they are using chipset which supports LDAC. But the jury is still out if it will hiss or not. If I get my hands on this cable, I will share my impressions, just have to remember to request mmcx since majority of my IEMs are 2pin, and all the sensitive IEMs (Westone, Campfire, iBasso) are mmcx.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #1,189 of 1,446
@jmstandish , here is how I hear W80 vs W60 v2:

Very similar soundstage expansion, in both width and depth, maybe with W80 being just a touch wider. Bass has a similar impact, but W60-2 has a little more sub-bass rumble. Mids/vocals have more body and sound smoother in W80 vs a little brighter, thinner, and more transparent in W60-2. Treble is a little brighter and crisper in W60-2 while W80 treble is smoother and more natural.

westone_w80_vs_w60-2.jpg

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,190 of 1,446
Just an update on my W80 journey.

At first I thought these really weren't to my taste. Perhaps they weren't with the M11Pro. Then I tried them with a Plenue P1. Completely different result. Vocals were once again as they should be with no upper bass boosting into the vocals. Fabulous sound.

This is the first time I have really experienced the difference between DAP's Normally I only have one to try. Sure wish Cowon made something that would do Tidal.

My initial thoughts on these have changed - at least with the P1 the sound is marvelous. Very smooth and musical.

Trying it with the SR15 now and finding that it is somewhat in the middle between the M11pro and the Plenue P1.

Does anyone have any experience with the W80 and the Astell Kann (Not the Cube)

A question for Twister6...what is your favourite DAP to use with the W80?

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,191 of 1,446
Just an update on my W80 journey.

At first I thought these really weren't to my taste. Perhaps they weren't with the M11Pro. Then I tried them with a Plenue P1. Completely different result. Vocals were once again as they should be with no upper bass boosting into the vocals. Fabulous sound.

This is the first time I have really experienced the difference between DAP's Normally I only have one to try. Sure wish Cowon made something that would do Tidal.

My initial thoughts on these have changed - at least with the P1 the sound is marvelous. Very smooth and musical.

Trying it with the SR15 now and finding that it is somewhat in the middle between the M11pro and the Plenue P1.

Does anyone have any experience with the W80 and the Astell Kann (Not the Cube)

A question for Twister6...what is your favourite DAP to use with the W80?

I have access to way too many DAPs and typically prefer W80 with more neutral or brighter DAPs. Personally, I like LPGT, use it as my reference source for sound analysis. But it's all a matter of personal preference. Go with whatever sounds good to your ears with your favorite type of music! If you like tweaking the sound, Plenue daps with their JetEffect dsp effects is a good choice. A&K SPK and SP2k pair up great, but I never tried Kann.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,192 of 1,446
How does the w80 compare to iems like Andromeda, Solaris and Sony ier 1zr?

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,193 of 1,446
How does the w80 compare to iems like Andromeda, Solaris and Sony ier 1zr?

Going by memory since I'm at work now and don't have physically W80 and Andro/Solaris in front of me. While they have relatively similar bass impact and extension (with some minor variations), W80 will have a thicker, fuller body mids/vocals in comparison to leaner/brighter Campfire audio mids. Also, W80 treble is more natural and smoother while both Campfire iems have more sparkle in treble and a little harsher lower treble peaks (that will vary depending on quality of audio recording, but Campfire treble is less forgiving in comparison to Westone). Also, overall presentation of W80 sound is more laidback and less aggressive in comparison to Campfire's Andro/Solaris.

Only heard Sony IER Z1R briefly a year ago (at CanJam), was using WM1Z as a source (which some suggested wasn't powerful enough to drive those IEMs), but I found their upper mids and lower treble to be way too bright and fatigue for my taste. Just my personal sound preference, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,194 of 1,446
Going by memory since I'm at work now and don't have physically W80 and Andro/Solaris in front of me. While they have relatively similar bass impact and extension (with some minor variations), W80 will have a thicker, fuller body mids/vocals in comparison to leaner/brighter Campfire audio mids. Also, W80 treble is more natural and smoother while both Campfire iems have more sparkle in treble and a little harsher lower treble peaks (that will vary depending on quality of audio recording, but Campfire treble is less forgiving in comparison to Westone). Also, overall presentation of W80 sound is more laidback and less aggressive in comparison to Campfire's Andro/Solaris.
Hmm the westones might suit me more. Comicaly even though I've used and bought expensive iems one of my favourite so far are Sony n3. I suppose I'm after an improvement in them to use with my sp2000 at home. I do like good strong bass. Do w80 provide good bass?

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,195 of 1,446
Hmm the westones might suit me more. Comicaly even though I've used and bought expensive iems one of my favourite so far are Sony n3. I suppose I'm after an improvement in them to use with my sp2000 at home. I do like good strong bass. Do w80 provide good bass?

W80 doesn't lack in bass, and as a matter of fact the bass sounds more like a dynamic driver rather than BA performance. I had SP2k on loan last year, and do recall it helped mids with more transparency (less coloring). One big advantage of W80, it's probably one of the smallest 8BA iem you gonna find; I can actually fall asleep with my head on the pillow and these in my ears.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,196 of 1,446
So I have been playing and comparing a handful of DAPs and iFi micro iDSD BL with W80. To my ears, I find every pair up I tried to have plenty of clarity and resolution in mids/vocals, but there is a variation where I hear the lower body of the mids to be more neutral in some vs the others.

For example, Plenue R2, DX160, N6ii w/T01 and E01, and Shanling M6 - they all have a slightly fuller body in lower mids. I don't hear it as veiled, but it does sound thicker and more organic in those pair ups. But when you switch to LPGT, it's a very neutral transparent source, you can hear more transparency and less coloring in mids, especially with lower mids being more neutral. Then, when you switch to @iFi audio micro iDSD BL, in addition to more neutral and transparent mids, the bass also has more control with shorter decay, making bass tighter, with an even cleaner separation from lower mids.

So, your gut-feeling about micro iDSD BL was right :wink:

Hi,

I received my iFi Micro BL and yes, it's a very good pairing with the W80 (not as good as my Woo WA8, but a very interesting one). It fits exactly with my preferences, thanks a lot again!

A quick question: I read your Hidizs AP80 review and I think it could be a good entry-level DAP for commuting. Did you tried it with the W80? I'm looking for the Al version (not the Cu)...

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,197 of 1,446
Hi,

I received my iFi Micro BL and yes, it's a very good pairing with the W80 (not as good as my Woo WA8, but a very interesting one). It fits exactly with my preferences, thanks a lot again!

A quick question: I read your Hidizs AP80 review and I think it could be a good entry-level DAP for commuting. Did you tried it with the W80? I'm looking for the Al version (not the Cu)...

Thanks again!

Glad Micro iDSD BL worked out for you!

Regarding pair up with AP80, it sounds great with all 3 versions, but I personally prefer SS version. AL one is the best value and the lightest, SS and CU sounds like they have a fuller body and a wider soundstage. Not so sure if CU might tarnish or oxidize after a while, thus I'm sticking with SS, but it cost as much as CU. For commute, AL version should be great, and it's build around HibyMusic player so you also get MSEB effects (great for fine-tuning the sound).

1581212553420.png

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,198 of 1,446
Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions from anyone having enjoyed W80s using alternative cables.

I have recently purchased and am waiting for delivery of lightly used v1 W80, but it will not come with the ALO ref cable. This gives an opportunity to either purchase separately the same ALO cable, or perhaps an alternative cable that may pair well with the W80. I currently have a Westone cable that came with my V2 UMPro50 (and also a BT V2 cable). I've read both good and not-so-good reviews of the W80 included ALO cable, so I thought to ask and learn from your experience.

In this situation, would you run out and replace/purchase the ALO cable (https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/reference-8-iem/... or perhaps second hand somewhere), or perhaps go with some different cable that you may recommend. I honestly have no frame of reference (i.e. haven't heard the W80s and haven't heard to ALO cable). Some of you have listened hours to W80, and perhaps with different cables and having some personal insight.

For instance, I found the following cable product (received good reviews), and it "may" actually be better than the ALO, at less cost.
-- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.522a6953KXJKbW

My everyday set-up is Samsung Note 10+, PowerAmp playing Flac files, with Dragonfly Cobalt. (no, I haven't dived into dedicated music players yet : /
Would like deep and punchy bass profile, a wide sound stage, and bright (not harsh) excellence -- a cable pairing well with the W80.
Any thoughts or cable suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,199 of 1,446
Any thoughts or cable suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I'm using this one at the moment (Edit: the mmcx version though), as you probably can tell I'm not a great believer that cables change things too much, the most I've ever spent on a cable is around £90.

For me it need to be a nice flexible easy to wear cable and that's basically it. BTW I don't like the included V1 ALO cable, its too stiff and microphonic for me.

1583393265196.png

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,200 of 1,446
Is there a big difference in v1 and V2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back