What’s your favorite 2ch speaker pair currently?
May 5, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #76 of 104
I am a Wharfedale fan. Started with a Diamond 9.1. Since then a 9 .4 later . Currently I use a Diamond 12.2 and a two week listening experience of a Wharfedale Linton love them all and did not part with any of them . The 9s is part of a 5.1 setup the 12.2 in the bedroom and Lintons in the best spot. I had an Edifier Airpulse 200 set it was good but it was sold to get the Lintons. Would have kept it but for the home politics.

May 28, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #77 of 104
Attainable:

BMR Philharmonic Monitor - which does 34-25k, you can buy the kit, flat pack and have a speaker that kills everything under $5k - for $1800 (sans great finish)

BMR Philharmonic Tower - gets you to 25 Hz, better Raal tweeter - $4400 last I checked

Semi attainable:

Verity Parsifal Ovation - new in 2006 @ $20k, get very nice used ones with flight case for about $7.5k

Nuts:

MBL 101 X-treme $325k

Attachments

• images bm.jpg
    images bm.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • verity_parsifal_ovation.jpg
    verity_parsifal_ovation.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
  • mbl_101x_2.jpg
    mbl_101x_2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #78 of 104
Ummm... the door isn't the problem.

Here comes the unsolicited review:

1. No diffusion/absorption I can see.
2. Wall to wall - eats mids and imaging specificity along the lower part of the soundstage.
3. Equipment rack: interferes with center imaging
4. Turntable getting hit by bass notes, but thankfully no flimsy cover to rattle - nice table BTW. Can't make out the arm.
5. Is the side wall longer than the front wall? If so, you are getting extra midbass where your speakers are located. On the long wall you'll get a wider stage, but if you are closer it could be near field listening which the speaker may not be set up for.
6. The speakers are the same distance to the room boundaries. So however one speaker is off of flat w.r.t. room, it's doubled. In bad cases one can have 6-8 db deviance plus or minus somewhere(s) under 350 Hz. The ideal room ratios are 1/1.7/2.3 or 23x17x10 in feet. This looks like a single driver speaker with transmission line loading which is fine, but the back and side wall appear to be equidistant the the driver and port(s). If this is part of the design, great, if not you've got a peak and a dip of probably 5db each if not more 0-350 hz.

Parallel walls, lowish ceiling, probably lots of slap echoing and standing waves.

Just a born critic with lots of professional experience setting up and spec'ing listeng rooms. No insult intended, but I think if you have some leeway you could get better sound, Or actually strayngs.

And of course, love the dog.
Well it is hard to review something you cant hear or see all of LOL. I have had a lot of very experienced people in this room and everyone is in awe of the sound. (I am part of quite a few local groups and have brought in at least 20 people with high end 2 channel setups). The room was set up well with diffusion and absorption wheather you see it or not. I originally did bring in the top rated speaker positioning company in Denver (Soundings) to help with the positioning and pannels …. But found that my positioning was better to my ears after countless hours and help from other audiophile 2 channel friends.. The room is as good as I could want or expect sound wise. I appreciate your “review” but in this case….it isnt needed as the sound is sublime.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #79 of 104
Dynaudio Confidence 30. Amazing pair.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #80 of 104
Well it is hard to review something you cant hear or see all of LOL. I have had a lot of very experienced people in this room and everyone is in awe of the sound. (I am part of quite a few local groups and have brought in at least 20 people with high end 2 channel setups). The room was set up well with diffusion and absorption wheather you see it or not. I originally did bring in the top rated speaker positioning company in Denver (Soundings) to help with the positioning and pannels …. But found that my positioning was better to my ears after countless hours and help from other audiophile 2 channel friends.. The room is as good as I could want or expect sound wise. I appreciate your “review” but in this case….it isnt needed as the sound is sublime.
I can only comment on what I see. I don't dispute that your system sounds great, almost for sure better than what I have for a room/system these days. My experience in this area is substantial. I find I always learn more when I listen. Ciao.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #81 of 104
I can only comment on what I see. I don't dispute that your system sounds great, almost for sure better than what I have for a room/system these days. My experience in this area is substantial. I find I always learn more when I listen. Ciao.
No worries yes you can only comment on what you see. We actually started out with more panels but it deadend the room. We have just the right mixture of stuff in there right now to keep it live but neutral as possible.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #82 of 104
The pair of MartinLogan Theos that I currently own, hahaha.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #83 of 104
DALI Oberon 3, they have a nice character in the highs that is also even, and the casing is bright wood and the front cover fabric is a bit like a grey jeans, https://telegrambetting.club/telegram-sports-betting/telegram-nba-betting/ behind that you see a bit of white plastic just like the K701 has, music analytics company triggers a lot of joy for me. But not sure if sound without bi-amped is the best, and I had to tilt-eq out the brightness like crazy with a graphical EQ, tried settings for months, finally happy. No noise floor in near-field, amp is S.M.S.L. SA-36A.
Looks like you've gone on quite the audio adventure with your DALI Oberon 3 speakers! It's like finding the perfect pair of jeans that make you feel fantastic, but you still wonder if they'd look better with a bi-amped belt. And let's not forget the dance of EQ adjustments, tilting the highs just right until you've hit the sweet spot of audio happiness.

Remember, in the world of audio, it's all about finding your own rhythm and tuning in to what makes your ears dance with joy. So keep grooving to your favorite tunes, and may your DALI Oberon 3 speakers continue to serenade your ears with blissful melodies!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #86 of 104
Nice.
How's the bass?
Seriously. :wink:
very good. In my small 10 feet wide room. Also the fact they are only 40 - 50 cm from the rear wall helps? Happy listening to Deep Purple and co up to 95 db. One day will hope to buy the 1.7i speakers. But perhaps a little too big?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #87 of 104
very good. In my small 10 feet wide room. Also the fact they are only 40 - 50 cm from the rear wall helps? Happy listening to Deep Purple and co up to 95 db. One day will hope to buy the 1.7i speakers. But perhaps a little too big?
I used to run a pair of ML SL3 in a room 11' 8" x 10' 10" x 8' 4" for about six months with a bunch of ASC traps (diffusion/absorbtion) it wasn't bad but they and I were happier to get the newly built giant room when it was finished.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #88 of 104
One of the Buchardt Audio sets listed in my signature. Depends on where I sit, and what my mood is. The A500's are currently in my living room, so they get a lot of usage. The S200's are at the computer and the P300's are currently set up in the listening room 😊

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #89 of 104
Have these for a month now LRS Plus. Never have boxes again.Magnelaner.jpeg
went a long time with Estats, Maggies, and Ribbons - but they really need the right room set-up and amp to sing best - enjoy

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #90 of 104
my favourite pair currently is my Mission 750 Limited Edition in rosewood. they have a nice warm sound, good for things like crowded house etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back