Woo's New Flagship WA33
Oct 7, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2,806 of 3,213
what does it mean to be matched? sounds like woo major price gouging
Basically they measure and sound the same. When you have non matched sets you could have a sound quality hit, supposedly.

Woo is major price gouging, but it’s near impossible to find a properly matched quad set nowadays.

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #2,807 of 3,213
One side note from the Tak 2A3s. They appear to be result in a louder sound, as I no longer have to turn my volume up as much as with the KRs. I don't know why that would be the case, but the Taks have appeared to affect sound volume as well. I guess it's a good thing, as I no longer have to push the WA33s as hard. It's just weird though...

Oct 7, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #2,808 of 3,213
One side note from the Tak 2A3s. They appear to be result in a louder sound, as I no longer have to turn my volume up as much as with the KRs. I don't know why that would be the case, but the Taks have appeared to affect sound volume as well. I guess it's a good thing, as I no longer have to push the WA33s as hard. It's just weird though...
that's interesting... I got these with my elite.... are the supposed to be good? the amp sounds amazing... the tak 23a better???? I am new to tubes and know F all... but my eyes are wide open after hearing what the elite can do.... want more!

these ones: https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-treasure-2a3-z

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,809 of 3,213
that's interesting... I got these with my elite.... are the supposed to be good? the amp sounds amazing... the tak 23a better???? I am new to tubes and know F all... but my eyes are wide open after hearing what the elite can do.... want more!

these ones: https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-treasure-2a3-z
Yeah, the Elite is amazing. I had the standard WA33 and then jumped to the WA33 EE JPS because I liked the standard so much. It's the best amp I've heard. My Tak 2A3s are still being burned in, so I can't comment fully, but I really like what I'm hearing. It seems better than the KRs to me so far. The KR-2A3s are really good too and a little cheaper. I like Tak tubes and have 4 Tak 300B and a Tak 274 in my 3ES Elite too. They are expensive, but they sound so good.

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,810 of 3,213
Yeah, the Elite is amazing. I had the standard WA33 and then jumped to the WA33 EE JPS because I liked the standard so much. It's the best amp I've heard. My Tak 2A3s are still being burned in, so I can't comment fully, but I really like what I'm hearing. It seems better than the KRs to me so far. The KR-2A3s are really good too and a little cheaper. I like Tak tubes and have 4 Tak 300B and a Tak 274 in my 3ES Elite too. They are expensive, but they sound so good.
have you heard the

Kallyste Amethyste?​

hearing good things.. wonder if it rivals the elite? based on one review maybe not.

from another Headfi post on can jam:
Category 1 - Shut-up and take my money
  • Kallyste Amethyste + Final Audio D8000 Pro Limited Edition.
    • This is the best sound I've ever heard from a desktop system. Ever, I've tried the Aperio, HE-1, Viva Egoista STX + X9000. But this was incredible. I came back maybe 4 times to make sure what I was hearing was correct but good lord was this amazing. The richness of tone. The engulfing sound-stage. The intimacy of the vocals. Amazing.
    • Also tried with the Susvara - sounded excellent but the volume knob was nearly maxed out. So maybe this isn't the most powerful amp.
sounds like lacking power. better than Aperio (have not heard)... the right wa33 elite stack probably rivals all of them.

is there a big diff in the wa33 sound when warm/hot VS cold???

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #2,811 of 3,213
have you heard the

Kallyste Amethyste?​

hearing good things.. wonder if it rivals the elite? based on one review maybe not.

from another Headfi post on can jam:
Category 1 - Shut-up and take my money
  • Kallyste Amethyste + Final Audio D8000 Pro Limited Edition.
    • This is the best sound I've ever heard from a desktop system. Ever, I've tried the Aperio, HE-1, Viva Egoista STX + X9000. But this was incredible. I came back maybe 4 times to make sure what I was hearing was correct but good lord was this amazing. The richness of tone. The engulfing sound-stage. The intimacy of the vocals. Amazing.
    • Also tried with the Susvara - sounded excellent but the volume knob was nearly maxed out. So maybe this isn't the most powerful amp.
sounds like lacking power. better than Aperio (have not heard)... the right wa33 elite stack probably rivals all of them.

is there a big diff in the wa33 sound when warm/hot VS cold???

I think my WA33 EE JPS chain rivals everything, including the HE-1, and it might even be better (I really would love to compare my setup right next to the HE-1, but that is unlikely).

I haven't really noticed a big difference between a hot and cold WA33, but others have. Maybe the sound changes as the WA33 gets warmer, but perhaps it is gradual and I just don't notice (or there is no change at all).

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #2,812 of 3,213
I usually let my WA33 EE warm up for about 15 minutes before starting to listen. Even then I believe it takes another 15/20 minutes to reach peak SQ. A strange aside to that is when I use it as a preamp I usually start listening immediately but hear no difference as it warms up.

Oct 7, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #2,813 of 3,213
I think my WA33 EE JPS chain rivals everything, including the HE-1, and it might even be better (I really would love to compare my setup right next to the HE-1, but that is unlikely).

I haven't really noticed a big difference between a hot and cold WA33, but others have. Maybe the sound changes as the WA33 gets warmer, but perhaps it is gradual and I just don't notice (or there is no change at all).
dude I believe it.... im have a VERY hard time believing the Asperio and others can match the body... sounds like the KA can't drive the Sus meaning a NO on the 1266. Stack of the gods.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,815 of 3,213
dude I believe it.... im have a VERY hard time believing the Asperio and others can match the body... sounds like the KA can't drive the Sus meaning a NO on the 1266. Stack of the gods.
Adding the TC into the mix is a must, in my opinion. The TC/WA33 Elite JPS/Modded Dave/M-Scaler/K50 chain is an absolute beast. I've been thinking of getting a new dac, but I need to audition them. The modded DC4 Dave and DC4 M-Scaler are really good. I'm not sure how they can be beat, but some of those uber-dacs have me interested. I feel like the DCS Rossini Apex might be what I'd get, but it's very hard to get an audition where I live. And the price is a lot. I'm not sure how much I can sell my DC4 Dave and Mscaler, but at least it would cover some of the costs. Still, it costs too much to buy the Rossini Apex blind

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #2,816 of 3,213
So, I've been listening to my new tubes a lot these past few days. I really like the Tak 2A3s. I feel the added dimensionality they bring is very nice. I think the dynamics are nice as well. I don't really hear a difference in bass from the KRs with my TCs (it may be different with the Sus, but I've mainly been listening to the TCs, as they are my preferred headphones). I feel like the Taks just add some more 3D sound to the mix. It might have something to do with the mid-range, but to be honest, I'm more of a bass and treble guy, so It's hard for me to properly evaluate the mids.

Would I buy the Taks over the KRs? That's a tough call, but I think I would. The KRs are still very good. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I may pick up a backup pair of the Taks though. They are worth it in my opinion. I definitely recommend them.

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #2,817 of 3,213
there are two dCS dealers in Houston. Icon Luxury Sound and 3mA Audio. i bought my Rossini blind. I was concerned that a Rossini was overkill for a headphone system but very glad I completed the purchase. I then performed the Apex upgrade which was a significant upgrade. If you are seriously considering the Rossini factor in the expense of the Clock as I feel it is essential for maximising the potential of your system.

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #2,818 of 3,213
there are two dCS dealers in Houston. Icon Luxury Sound and 3mA Audio. i bought my Rossini blind. I was concerned that a Rossini was overkill for a headphone system but very glad I completed the purchase. I then performed the Apex upgrade which was a significant upgrade. If you are seriously considering the Rossini factor in the expense of the Clock as I feel it is essential for maximising the potential of your system.
Thanks, I didn't know about hose 2 places. I'm gonna check them out this week. Maybe with a deposit they'll give me a home demo.

Yeah, I'd get the clock with it too. If I like them, I'm going to have to see how much I can get for my DC4 DAVE and DC4 M-scaler. It would bring the substantial cost down a bit. I'm thinking I could get $15K for them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back