XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,171 of 2,100
Thanks for the feedback! By the way that was my first post here, I really like this forum.

Oh I have another question, being a hifi noob. I have a cheap internal sound card (Asus Xonar DGX). It does have a digital output. I'm guessing its DAC is quite bad but what about the digital out? What would be the cleanest signal, USB or that digital out? (It's an optical out to be more precise)

Also, would this DAC improve my sound if I connect the computer to it, use it as DAC and then send the analogue signal to my ordinary loudspeaker amplifier? Theoretically it should, right?
Technically the coax out would be the best way to connect to an external DAC with many people consider it the cleanest. Practically I doubt you will hear any difference. There are many factors in play: your source files, your mainboard (my desktop doesn't have as much noise as my old laptop) and most of all your headphones. I've said it many times to everyone and it never changes: if your headphones can't help discern it, there's no use in upgrading your amp/dac

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,172 of 2,100
Technically the coax out would be the best way to connect to an external DAC with many people consider it the cleanest. Practically I doubt you will hear any difference. There are many factors in play: your source files, your mainboard (my desktop doesn't have as much noise as my old laptop) and most of all your headphones. I've said it many times to everyone and it never changes: if your headphones can't help discern it, there's no use in upgrading your amp/dac

Thanks William. This might be of academic value only, but my consideration was if a very cheap soundcard somehow has a worse digital output (with electrical interference/noise) thus making USB preferable.

Speaking of USB, I got really confused when I first received this unit. The included CD driver was not compatible with Windows 10. Finding drivers on the Xduoo homepage was a challenge. I gave up and found "I2S over USB Audio" that works but I have no idea if they are optimal for the Xduoo.

Apart from these struggles, I am REALLY happy with the unit. Using it with DT 990 Pro (250 ohm) and also as DAC for my "real" amplifier.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,173 of 2,100
Thanks William. This might be of academic value only, but my consideration was if a very cheap soundcard somehow has a worse digital output (with electrical interference/noise) thus making USB preferable.

Speaking of USB, I got really confused when I first received this unit. The included CD driver was not compatible with Windows 10. Finding drivers on the Xduoo homepage was a challenge. I gave up and found "I2S over USB Audio" that works but I have no idea if they are optimal for the Xduoo.

Apart from these struggles, I am REALLY happy with the unit. Using it with DT 990 Pro (250 ohm) and also as DAC for my "real" amplifier.

http://www.xduoo.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TUSB_v3340.zip extract and follow the directions inside the zip.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,174 of 2,100
Hi guys, I've just ordered an XD-05. My main goal is to connect it to my iPhone 6s using a digital interconnect/Lightning to USB A. I don't intend to use any included cables, as I prefer non-Apple cables (CCK as well as CCK). Anyway, just looking for input and advice. Is this setup working for any of you guys? Thanks!

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #1,175 of 2,100
Hi guys, I've just ordered an XD-05. My main goal is to connect it to my iPhone 6s using a digital interconnect/Lightning to USB A. I don't intend to use any included cables, as I prefer non-Apple cables (CCK as well as CCK). Anyway, just looking for input and advice. Is this setup working for any of you guys? Thanks!
I think it should work with a CCK and any knock off. Do notice though, that it all depends on Apple and the manufacturer. I heard that some amp/dac that used to work with iPhone now no longer do because the ios firmware is changed and the manufacturers didn't buy the official license from Apple. That said, I'm not particularly sure about the xd05

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #1,176 of 2,100
Thanks! A lot of my other USB DAC's no longer work using hacked CCK interconnects (Lavricables etc.), so I guess I'll just have to give it at try. Have bought an official Apple CCK and will test it when the XD-05 arrives.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,177 of 2,100
So Xduoo has released the X10T, which a digital turntable. Basically it is the X10 minus the dac and a couple of more digital outputs. It should be a perfect match for the XD-05.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #1,178 of 2,100
i've been listening to the xd05 for some weeks now and for the most part, i quite like it. but with some music, i experience a slight sibilance. it's occasional, on moderate or high volume, and it's not excessive. i mostly listen to my akg n40's and they have one of the most creamy, silky smooth highs i've ever heard, so it's not the earphones. also, i haven't heard any sibilance with the n40 when driven with my phones or my other dac/amp (centrance hifi-m8). it must be the xd05's amp section: no sibilance with the xd05's line out going into my myryad z40 amp either.

anyway, just a quick question: did anyone experience something similar? i read @ZGojira 's review from last year, but i couldn't find any other members reporting the same. what do you think, can it be fixed by changing the opa to either the burson v5i or the muses02?

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,179 of 2,100
I've also had my xd-05 for about a month and wanted to post my impressions. I don't particularly notice sibilance.

I use mine pretty much exclusively with my android (Moto g3) phone and my beyerdynamics dt770 pro (80ohm).

Prior to this, I was using my phone's straight out of the g3 (far from great), out of my stereo amp (marantz pm7200, so output impedance mismatch plus transformer hum) or line out of a Chromecast audio (which I actually thought was pretty good!).

Given the range of amplification I'd been using, this was actually quite a change for me. It made me realise that the Chromecast audio wasn't such a great source. The xd-05 is so much more refined, yet the experience is not a revelatory one, as hype of kit had me believe.

The xd-05 to me is perfect. Long battery life, range of connections, dead silent when no music and drives my cans effortlessly. And you know what? That's it summed up (for me). It's clean. It's quiet. It plays loud and clear and it gets out of the way and lets me enjoy music. I'm listening to the music, not the device and I love it. I expected something different (experience wise) but I love what I've got.
Plus, with my cans, I don't suffer channel imbalance and have loads of room to get volume right without deafening myself. The pot is at about 11 for me. 12 is too much.

I've tried it with optical. Same story really. Just works.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #1,180 of 2,100
sry if this has been already answered but I could not find anything on it from a search, if connecting the iphone with a lightning to female USB to the xduoo (the way iPhone should be connected) will it be able to answer calls still through an inline remote on the headphones ?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,181 of 2,100
I too recently acquired a XD-05. Today I received the Burson V5i and I was pleasantly surprised to see they have improved the casing by removing the rim. It is now narrower and therefor easier to fit.

IMG_9044.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #1,184 of 2,100
This might have been mentioned a million times (sorry, couldn’t find any definitive post), but I have no issues using the three different gain settings using V5i-D. Everything works perfectly.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #1,185 of 2,100
You can use the proprietary cable from sony (otg)
Guys, how can i connect this dac to sony nw a35 dap?anyone tried? Thanks
the xd05 has the following inputs: optical, usb, aux. i seriously doubt that the a35 offers usb host function, and it won't have an optical out either. aux (analog input) is your only option i guess.
cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back